Platinum Games announces Max Anarchy, aiming for fall 2011 worldwide release

Wednesday, 26th January 2011 10:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110126platinumgames

Famitsu scans have revealed the latest title from Bayonetta and Vanquish developer Platinum Games: an online combat game called Max Anarchy.

According to Andriasang, Platinum’s first attempt at online multiplayer is in development for both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and will support a “large number of players”.

Leaked scans show players using chainsaws and torches in battle, and although we’ll have to wait for the magazine’s official release to harvest more details, Madworld protagonist Jack will appear in-game.

In an interview with the magazine, further translated by Andriasang, Platinum’s Atsushi Inaba said development on the game kicked off two years ago in a trial and error process.

The game will feature a story element as well as the online section. It’ll have both co-op elements and competitive game types.

Max Anarachy will be published by Sega later this year. Inaba says it’s aiming for a fall worldwide release.

1. osric90

I do not support the online experience over plot and depth.

2. Amaterasu

The game will have a single player component – confirmed!

3. metamorphic

@osric90: Good lord, you haven’t even seen the scans, let alone more details about this hitherto unrevealed game. Obviously there’s going to be plot and depth – this is fucking PLATINUM we’re talking about.

4. orakaa

@ Metaphoric: Mad World, Bayonetta, Vanquish… all Platinum games I have in mind have scenarios that could be written/summed up in 2 sentences.

I’m not saying they’re bad games, just saying that “plot” and “depth” are definitely NOT what qualify their games the best…

5. Blerk

Sigh. I think I’m just going to have to accept that Platinum aren’t going to make the types of games that I’d like them to make.

6. Johnny Cullen

More details in there now from an interview with Platinum’s Atsushi Inaba.

7. Gekidami

Are you really linking Platinum Games to plot? I mean really, the guys who made Bayonetta? Seriously?

8. xino

“- According to Inaba, the game’s online has been difficult to synchronize due to the fact that such a genre hasn’t been invented yet”

new genre?

9. BraveArse

I loved Vanquish, but plot and depth were not part of the deal. In fact, I distinctly remember making up similar stories when I was 7, with my mate, accompanied by my Action Man figure and his Six Million Dollar Man one.

Tbh, I applaud Platinum for being utterly schlock with their plots. They’re one of the few devs that are good at it.

10. Johnny Cullen

What BraveArse said. Its stuff is obviously nothing Oscar-worthy if you want to put it like that or whatever, but it’s zany OTT stuff is actually pretty good.

I applaud Platinum for taking that direction.

11. Michael O’Connor

Are we talking depth of story or depth of gameplay here?

Because depth of GAMEplay is the first and foremost important component of a video GAME, and I for one couldn’t care less how shit the story is when the gameplay is top class, industry standard setting stuff, as is the case in 90% of Platinum Game’s work, in their current studio and past studios alike.

This does seem like a strange choice, and the online field is a dangerous to take on without the right franchise. I fear that Platinum Games quirkiness will go over a lot of people’s heads.

Still, they haven’t let me down yet, so I’m going to remain optimistic until I see more.

12. M2Kx

Platinum Games? I’M IN!

13. DaMan

I always laugh when people use Bayonetta as an example of plots being non existent in Platinum’s games. seriously, you guys should drop an acid or two.

actually, it’s plot was totally fine, the narrative was lacking, doesn’t matter if the whole story can be summed up in a sentence, it was only a part of the psychedelic performance.