FFXIII-2 will feature darker story, returning characters from FFXIII

Tuesday, 25th January 2011 11:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ffxiii-2

Producer Yoshinori Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama have said in Dengeki Magazine this week that Final Fantasy XIII-2 will feature a much darker story than that seen in FFXIII.

The pair insisted the sequel will feel less poppy than its parent.

The story continue from the end of Final Fantasy XIII, with some characters returning for FFXIII-2 “with major and unexpected changes,” according to Siliconera.

FFXIII-2′s story will see players trying to find the game for the invisible world of Bunibelle, with the Goddess Etro playing a central role to the plot.

Kitase and Toriyama also said they had taken on board criticism related to FFXIII, with opinions regarding some of the characters, the story and interface from the RPG noted.

Easy mode, which was introduced in the International Edition of FFXIII in Japan for 360, is also being considered for FFXIII-2.

FFXIII-2 was announced last week at an event in Japan.

It releases this year in Japan and “next winter” in the west for PS3 and 360. Watch the first trailer for it here.

1. StolenGlory

Given the relatively small developmental time between this and FFXIII, I don’t think that the primary issue (namely the linear exploration and all that it entails – lack of towns, invisible walls, etc…) will be addressed for FFXIII-2.

A shame for sure.

2. Erthazus

Darker? You mean the same crap like X-2? :D

3. Blerk

X-2 wasn’t darker, it was… girlier. And shitter.

4. Razor

Where’s Versus, godammit it.

5. Suikoden Fan

@3 at least it was open

6. topdoog1

FF versus is much more darker story.

7. orakaa

@6 : we know NOTHING about Versus’ story so far… The environments and characters’ clothes are darker, for sure… but THAT alone doesn’t make a game have a “darker story”.

But anyway, they should really drop this title (FF XIII-2) and focus on FF XIII Versus, which could, in the end, be more interesting than FF XIII (shouldn’t be too hard to achieve)

8. Deacon

‘invisible world of Bunibelle’, ‘Goddess Etro’.

Regardless, and I know I’m a complete fanboy, I cannot wait for this!

Even after completion I still enjoy wandering through XIII completing the end-game hunts. The music, graphics and battle system really are top shelf stuff.

9. Aimless

“I’m thinking we’re going to be left with another plot where we’re not quite sure what or why things are happening until the game is over. And even then it’ll not be clear.”

Whilst I don’t doubt that — JRPGs can’t help but get into metaphysic bullshit at the end, for some reason — I find it interesting that XIII-2 could potentially help bridge the gap between its predecessor and Versus.

Etro is a deity shared between XIII and Versus. Simply put she’s the guardian to the afterlife or world of the dead, presumably a destination shared by both the games’ worlds. Conceivably that could be the “invisible world of Bunibelle” where XIII-2 takes place, although it might be a bit early to draw that conclusion.

10. Wesker

Darker story? So does that mean that Hope’s hair is now black and he’s a badass Emo?

Square Enix should just let this franchise die.

11. Dralen

I don’t want a darker story! I want a better story!!!

12. lexph3re

For this story darker can equal better. I want to see sahz and snow die. I want to see hope grow the F*ck up! I want to see lightning more controlled and percise.(her leaping head first into everything really made me want to shoot her) the rest I want to see is a spoiler.

I had no real problem with ff13. The str8 path was fine, the execution was not. The characters were blah! And my favs well I can’t spoil that. There’s no need for a easy mode, but if they must so be it. Just give me a hard mode as well. And PLEASE PLEASE don’t give me a last boss that you explain exist at the last damn battle. Yu yevon ff4 final boss ff8 ultimecia ff3 cloud of darkness! You get my point?

And, put a ffv13 teaser in there or cameo!