Nintendo aiming at “core gamers,” “Nintendo loyalists” for 3DS launch

Monday, 24th January 2011 15:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

3ds2

Nintendo of America comms boss Charlie Scibetta has told IG the company is aiming at “core gamers” for the launch of 3DS in March.

He also said it was looking at “Nintendo loyalists” for the release of the 3D handheld.

“We know right at launch that the people that will be most interested in buying the 3DS are people that have been buying previous versions of the DS, that are Nintendo loyalists, and people that are core gamers,” he told IG.

“There was a perception years back that we were somehow moving away from that crowd, and not making games that catered to that crowd, and that’s absolutely not true. With this launch, we especially wanted to make games for them and give them what they wanted.”

Despite that, Sclbetta said it was going to aim at every audience in the end with 3DS.

“What’s our target audience down the line? It’s really all ages, both male and female, because we certainly have the software support from third parties, and then from our own first party development to make games that appeal to everybody. We don’t feel that you have to concentrate on one segment at the expense of the other.”

3DS launches in the US on March 27 for $249. It releases in Europe on March 25.

1. orakaa

Well then maybe they should aim at “core gamers” for their next home console as well… and make it region-free (as most of the Japanese games are not translated/edited in Europe and US) ^^

2. evilashchris

I don’t think they have any left after the Wii :D

3. AHA-Lambda

@2 – LMAO!! XD

And of course they are no one else would dare buy a handheld at £220 otherwise

4. orakaa

@2 : so true…

5. Blerk

That’s right, Ninty – you want your core gamers back now that your ‘new’ audience have all fucked off to the iPhone, eh? :-D

The proper Nintendo fanboys will be back no problems, but I suspect they’ll have a much harder time convincing the less rabid fans to come back unless they make a hell of a lot of changes to the way they do things.

6. G1GAHURTZ

I used to be Nintendo all the way.

No matter what anyone says about Mario Galaxy, it’s been downhill all the way for Nintendo since Mario Sunshine, with NSMB in the DS being the only notable exception.

This handheld definitely doesn’t have enough to make me change my mind.

It’s just a jazzed up GameBoy Color…

7. StolenGlory

Yeah, if it the pricing fuck up of the £DS didn’t kill my interest in it, the shoddy launch line up did.

8. SOMI

Nintendo have been shit since 1986 up to this very day, they never were liked by hardcore gamers. It’s shame that Miyamoto isn’t retired yet, or better dead.

9. AHA-Lambda

@8- WTF is wrong with you??

10. SOMI

Nothing everyone knows that when Nintendo brings out a new hardware people tend to get exited till more details surface, it has just happened with the 3DS and we now know it’s going to be a garbage of a machine just like the other Hardware they’ve produced in the 80′s and 90′s.

11. DaMan

SNES was better than MD at many things, it also had the finest sound chip back in the days, N64 was the most powerful of the three.. GCN was almost equal to xbox..

12. SOMI

The SNES sold poorly and it lacked in quality titles aswell as the controller being awkward, the N64 sold poorly and the graphics were horrendous as well as the controller being spastic made, and the GC sold poorly and it looked like a kids lunchbox.

13. DaMan

I don’t think you played any SNES games, or N64 ones. check out Perfect Dark graphics too.

and the only one that did poorly was Gamecube, SNES even outsold MD. NES was discontinued in 1996 iirc.

14. LOLshock94

nintendo started gaming you fuck nugget

BTW i bet Miyamoto could kick your fat fucking ass you jammy cunt

15. SOMI

Nope they didn’t start gaming, atari was out before Nintendo did anything, and perfect dark graphis were horrible SD, shame it wasn’t in HD.

16. lexph3re

Yeah, nintendo lost me after n64 and completely lost me at ds. N64 graphics at the time were awesome but after you bought the expansion pack. At default n64 was crap. I loved my n64 but playstation and dreamcast stole me away and ps2 made it where I was barely looking back. Ds was nothing more then a bunch of portble snes games and the games that looked decent in 3d were ff4, ff3, and that’s all to me. Bur ff4 and 3 showed me what ff7 would’ve looked like if they actually did claim that title. (Some people forgot ff7 was originally intended for n64 but later they scrapped it due to lack of space on cartridge)

Outside of that 3ds is not appealing to me and doesn’t make me want to buy it. I’m sad buy this because nintendo was my beginning it opened the door to my pc gaming and future console titles. Now nintendo is like my shamed father.. I don’t want to be seen in public with him. He’s no longer that strong hero that saved the day for me. He’s just an old fart that got his ass whooped by the local elementry school bully.

17. DaMan

N64 came out in 1996, DC in 1999. what do we learn from that? they’re different gen systems.

PSX graphics were horrendous btw, N64 was better in every possible way, if not for the blockiness. there were no atrocious texture artifacts for instance.

18. lexph3re

Did you play perfect dark without the expansion pack? I know I did I lived perfect dark. And was only able to play it without the expansion pack. That game looked like garbage. But, in terms of fun nothing on psx compared. Psx graphics are actually very good. And, I’m actually taken by how well those classics were done when they established the engines for the psx. (Because at that time nintendo was the benchmark for dev)

Ff7 looked like a n64 game with a little more polish. But, ff8 ff9 and legend of dragoon blew any and all graphics the n64 had out the water. The only thing I loved that the n64 did that most psx games didnt. Was that the majority of their games were open world exploration in 3d. But, they still looked like crap, the step taken though was wonderful.

As for the dreamcast versus n64. I merely stated what turned me away from my n64. Because gamecube didn’t release against dreamcast but a while after against ps2. Honestly my interest in gaming was just evolving and I see nintendo as the entrance to gaming and fun. And, that’s because they are accessible to all ages. But in the end I honestly expect any and all gamers to eventually step towards either ps3 or 360 with pc as a perk into future gaming (visually)

19. DaMan

no, but why would you if that one relied so heavily on it.

it was all very long ago, but if I recall correctly WWF No Mercy ran without it, it looked amazing. and so did Goldeneye or plenty of other games.

I don’t see how those psx games with 2d backgrounds make N64 inferior, polygonal 3d ones were all considerably better. I especially don’t see LoD being relevant, that game had 3d characters looking like FF7′s in-battle ones.. one of the worst 3d graphics on psx.

ie Syphon Filter did look rather decent considering what it was running on, but the ugly texture distortions ruined each and every one 3d game on psx, with the exception of perhaps MoH, since EA (or Dreamworks) masked it very cleverly.

oh, and I don’ think I agree with your definitions of gaming and fun, I play both Halo and Ninty games, true fun is eternal, I enjoy them as much as i did back in the days.

20. lexph3re

I never asked for you to agree with my views on games. But, from what I have observed from the beginning of my gaming career. I have notice the ever consistent fade of nintendo introducing people to gaming and then people branching out from there. Very few people have started solely on an xbox or a ps2 and they are probably still head strong teenagers.

Nintendo has always in the past started the cause for people to become gamers. Its visually easy on the eyes for the time usually simple controls and affordable. But, after a while people branch off to other consoles. Wheteher at the time it was saturn,psx,and n64 or dreamcast,ps2,or xbox.

For this gen its either ps3, xbox 360. Nintendo made it more apparent this gen that they didn’t want wii to be the number 1 console but aimed for it to be what people buy as a secondary. And doing that they have taken the number 1 spot. The only problem with that is their number 1 as a console and have almost no support.

You can play halo and ninty games. Hell I have more headstrong nintendo fanboys than anything else. They’ve gone as far as to say they don’t care how crappy the game is for wii or ds their gonna buy it. And, you know why? Because its nintendo!

And, I would play perfect dark without the expansion pack because I was to poor to get one to enjoy the use of it. So, when my friend had an expansion pack and perfect dark for the first time I was like HOLY SHIT!! This is amazing! But, at the end of the day the games without them were pretty terrible. Remember supeman? Or xena? Hell the only games that were decent were 1st party games and that was still blocky messes. (Except dk 64)

Psx had a lot of games that showed the devs just weren’t ready. But! They were a nice mix between 3d and 2d which made them playable. Not completely 3d with piss poor dev time. A lot of them like gekido were just bad. But, crash spyro tomb raider silent bomber mgs were all great achievements of their time. To be honest you can pick 80% of the psx catalog up and play them. And, maybe only 10% of the nin64 is playable(expansion pack games are still very good)

21. DaMan

well, I reckon morphing faces and models having holes in them is worse than some blockiness.. more so that all fully 3d games back in the days were quite Lego like.

I don’t see how it were only first party ones looking good, games like xena were bad looking multiplat ones, it was bad on whatever it was released. besides, there were considerably more devs spending time on psx titles, since the platform proved to be more popular. so if anything, the N64 potential wasn’t realized in many games.

I’m just saying.. ie perspective correction has quite an impact on 3d games.. Tomb Raider or any of those games you mention would look better if they were released for it.

psx didn’t show the devs weren’t ready.. there was nothing to be ready for. psx had inferior hardware, with the cd-rom being the only leg to stand on against N64, which is why it had those 1+ Gb games with gorgeous 2d graphics and 3d characters morphing on top of them.

also, I fully realize one couldn’t afford the pack, I was still playing MD when all the folks at school got a Saturn or PSX. that wasn’t my point.

and I don’t know what trends have you noticed, or what ‘re the defining qualities of Ninty fans. besides simple to start with =/= simple to master. I ‘m just saying, I can enjoy both Halo’s multiplayer or Bayonetta on the 360, and Mario, because they’re all deep and fun enough, each in it’s own way.

22. lexph3re

When I stated that devs weren’t ready. I stated that to the progression of gaming. That they weren’t ready to make full blown 3d worlds. That they were able to make a great amount of 2d/3d hybrids to help get to that next step in gaming. Spyro, crash, pandemonium were platformers on psx that allowed devs to experiment in the full 3d effect without being taking to seriously.

If you compared silent bomber to a game like gekido on psx you could tell which devs had what it took to put very nice 3d elements in. Gekido failed though for the demo was completely different from the final release.

My point not that nintendo isn’t fun. But, that it is lacking in terms of next steps in its hardware. Even though n64 looked good(with expansion) it wasn’t taking the bold step forward in medie I.e cds on the gaming for front. Honestly I’m not sure how the hell sony pulled off its cd gaming. With sega cd and other consoles at the time pulling it off. I really think it was the retail sticker that pushed playstation forward. The fact it offered cd gaming at 2-$300.(I don’t recall original price because I didn’t buy it)

But, as for fun factor, as a gamer a taste generally mature. We start off solely playing platformers and move into action, rpg, sports, and whatever you like. Unfortunately, nintendo lacks the true quality of those titles outside of platformers. When you play 1 original idea of nintendo you play that idea about 30 more times in a different case.

Also, I base my views off of others. I know so many nintendo fans(I won’t call them fanboys because they like what they love) and they literally just eat everything nintendo. I have some friends that are buying 3ds just because its nintendo. They try to justify it with the games releasing. Then they show not only how hypocritical they are(big psp arguements in the past on how they no nothing but ports or remakes *rolls eyes*) but how silly they are.

Now, I can agree about the lack of support n64 received after psx. Because honestly the only thing that carried them were rare and themselves. It still was not enough with a bunch of shitty support. As far as halo and bayonetta…. I’m really glad someone else can appreciate those games because I can’t with getting a headache.

23. DaMan

er, I’m not sure what you’re talking about.. the sole reason we saw that many titles with 2d backgrounds was hardware limitations. because polygonal stuff looked bad, especially on psx or saturn. that and because you could have more detailed characters on top of 2d scenes.

I don’t know who out of of Capcom, Square, Konami, Namco or the likes of them wasn’t ready. some games like Suikoden were in 2d cause they decided to cut the budget. it’s like saying devs weren’t ready to make good graphics..

well, Pandemonium and the such were what they were cause the genre was quite popular, Pandemonium was one of the very earliest titles too, so they went for simplistic gameplay.. Crash games came out alongside Tomb Raiders, hardly anything to do with being not that ready, it was just what the devs decided to make.

quality n64 games looked good, some of them relied on expansion, some didn’t. all of them (quality ones) looked good. at least compared to their psx/saturn counterparts. n64 featured some very innovative and high end graphics things for it’s time, like the aforementioned perspective corrected textures or even some AA.. so I ‘m not sure what you’re saying again.. psx came out before those features started to appear, thus it lacked all of them. it had practically nothing but a rasterizer. bare early 3d graphics. cd-rom was the only ‘next step’ (questionable for that time btw) it had. questionable cause one might prefer Turok to Chrono Cross, see.

I think the ‘if you played the first one you played them all’ is true for any sequel(s).. Ninty games just happen to nail it in the very first games, so there’s hardly any need for tweaking the gameplay part. frankly I don’t quite see what’s wrong with that as long as it’s fun for the one who’s playing.. why on earth should I stop having fun and er, ‘evolve’.. is there some kind of ‘way of the gamer’? also, there’s a good saying everything new is actually well-forgotten old.

sports? each Fifa iteration is the same old game, with a new interface. each fps is the same old Duke3d.

the way you described ninty fans and how they ‘eat’ everything is absolutely true for any type of loyal customers.. they don’t play the games, they play their favourite company’s product (console).

now if you excuse me, sir lex. I’m going to sleep.

24. lexph3re