Nikkei: PSP2 has 3G but no phone functionality, out this year

Sunday, 23rd January 2011 19:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp5million

Nikkei (via Andriasang) is reporting that PSP2 with come with 3G on-board, as previously rumoured, but won’t allow for phone calls.

The handheld’s 3G service in Japan will be provided by NTT DoCoMo.

Gamers will be able to use the 3G connection to play online games and download software and movies.

The system will feature wireless LAN support.

The paper also reports that the new console will make use of an OLED touch screen. Sony has developed a new processor for handling high resolution visuals.

Pricing on the next generation PSP is currently TBA, according to Nikkei.

The console is yet to be announced by Sony, but it’s expected that the company will unveil the device at a press conference in Tokyo on January 27.

A PlayStation branded phone, which has had its form factor and features splattered all over the internet in recent months, is reported to be heading for a Mobile World Congress reveal in February.

1. Razor

This thing is going to cost a small fortune…but I want one :)

BTW, have VG247 been invited to this 27th event? No-one seems to know what this event really is.

2. monkeygourmet

^^^ What he said! :)

I wonder what the final price point will be? Alot of people seem quite upset surrounding the 3DS expected price point, but if the PSP2 has all these features and the incredible graphics touted, surely it’s gonna debut at £299.99 plus? Wasn’t the PSP Go launched at £249.99? I wonder how much Sony will be able to get it within reach of the 3DS for launch, maybe selling it at a loss?

3. WetSnake

Damn this makes me horny.
    Sorry guys, but it’s true.

4. Anders

@3: The rumored PSP2 hardware is cheaper than you’d think, but I still think that they have to sell it at a loss if they want to compete with the 3DS in 2011 and 2012.

5. monkeygourmet

Is it still rumoured to have a touch screen device on the back of the unit, or has that been scrapped for a main widescreen OLED touchscreen on the front of the device?

6. Goffee

So, its a glorified Kindle then?

>>>PSP2 Takes the Kindle Approach to Roaming Connectivity – http://bit.ly/dVa6lJ

7. SunKing

Seems a bit pointless, tbh. I would not be surprised if they attempted to sell it at £249.99. Because it’s Sony. I certainly wouldn’t pay for it at that price, but that’s just me. If they get it to £199 then it will be truly competitive.

8. get2sammyb

I love it when Sony makes hardware, I really do. Haters gonna hate, but I think it’s fantastic there’s a hardware manufacturer out there looking to absolutely push the very bleeding edge.

I don’t think Sony get enough kudos for their almost cut-throat, needless risk-taking. Personally, I think it’s awesome.

9. get2sammyb

@7: I wouldn’t be surprised if we were looking at higher to be honest. This sounds bonkers so far.

10. MegaGeek1

IGN posted that its rumoured to come with a touch sensitive OLED screen! This is sweet. I dont care what they’re asking for it, if the tech is their and its a beast, I’ll buy it regardless.

@8 – Truuuuuuuue!

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Sorry, but I like my handheld game machine to be good at JUST that, playing handheld games. Movies, pictures, music, that shits a given (better be at least). But I could care less about making a phone call on the damn thing. That’s what phones are for, not handheld gaming machines.

12. LOLshock94

if that is the real picture for the psp 2 then i have to say it looks well crafted

13. Blerk

Blimey, I can’t wait to see the price tag.

I wonder if they’ll also “do a Kindle” on the “there’s a cheaper model without the 3G” front? Because personally speaking it’s a feature I wouldn’t want or need.

14. MisterDog

Are we sure that the Nikkei report isn’t about the SE ‘Playstation Phone’? 3G connection, download games and a touchscreen sounds more like the Android handsets details.