UK shops start 3DS pre-orders, mark March 18 as release date

Wednesday, 12th January 2011 15:40 GMT By Debabrata Nath

nintendo-dsi

UK shops have now started taking pre-orders for Nintendo’s 3DS, listing unconfirmed release dates and pricing for the device.

Various online stores, including TheHutWHSmithBest Buy UK and Woolworths have jotted down March 18 as the release date for the handheld if you pre-order, or March 25 otherwise.

ASDA has the 3DS down for March 18, but doesn’t list a price.

Three colour choices are being offered right now, with the machine in blue, black and red.

The device’s price is listed to be £299.93. Shock.

Nintendo’s confirmed that the 3DS will be releasing sometime in March in UK but are yet to announce a price or fixed date.

European release details are expected to be announced at an Amsterdam event on January 19.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. StolenGlory

That price is placeholder bullshit obviously.

Expect something sensible to be communicated soonish.

2. Blerk

I’m thinking £250, with a pack-in… something. Game or movie. Which is ‘somewhat pricey’, imho.

3. Erthazus

299 GBP for the shitty spec small machine?

Son of the motherduck. Thats not pricey, thats just absolutely phenomenal price for the shitty hardware.

That thing can only buy a Nintendo fanboy otaku super douche or mom that live in some cave that don’t know nothing about electronics.

For that price you can have any consoles and you will still have the money… Or decent laptop, PC?

I’m not buying it and will wait for the huge price drop or emulator.

4. StolenGlory

It won’t be 299 GBP though.

5. Blerk

I can’t wait to see how much the PSP2 is if this comes in at £250!

6. StolenGlory

I reckon £199.99 solus and £239.99-£249.99 with pack-ins.

Good call Blerk on the PSP2; I reckon it’ll be £249.99 solus and £299.99 with pack-ins.

Well, that’s just my guess anyway :)

7. Fin

£250 is very pricey, even with a game included. I’d consider it if it was about £170 game-less, but still, pricey indeed.

£200 standalone seems about right.

8. Blerk

I’d agree that £199 would seem like the ideal starting price point. However, Nintendo have proven that they can basically price things as they like – I suspect they’re going to ‘do an Apple’ this time out and make it more expensive than we would perhaps expect it to be based on past launches.

9. StolenGlory

I respect your opinion a great deal, but I hope you are mistaken.

I’m moving house around that time and can *just* about afford £199.99 :/

10. Blerk

Well, I hope I’m wrong too – my son will be wanting one for Christmas, no doubt.

11. Erthazus

@Blerk, except that Nintendo is a much weaker brand than Apple.

12. Blerk

I never said it wasn’t. And it might be completely the wrong move to start so high. But they basically already said after E3 that they could “charge what they wanted” – and I expect them to do so. Riding on the back of the enormous success of the original DS they’d almost be fools not to try.

13. Len

Even at 199 they ain’t getting my money, just waaay too much for a handheld imo. :(