Razer unveils Onza Standard and Tournament Xbox 360 controllers

Friday, 7th January 2011 14:04 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

razeronza

Razer has unveiled its new brand of Xbox 360 controllers: the Razer Onza Tournament and Standard Edition.

The Razer Onza Tournament Edition offers customizability with adjustable resistance analog sticks which allow users to “twist the analog sticks in one direction to make them more resistant for steadier control, or twist in the opposite direction for quicker, fluid movements”. It has an improved D-pad and backlit action buttons, PC compatibility and a 15 foot “lightweight braided cable” with quick release USB connector.

Both it and the Standard editions of Onza feature multi-function buttons on the controller’s shoulders which allow “remapping of critical buttons to your fingertips”. This promises to “increase efficiency of game control” while aiding with disabilities unable to reach specific functions on a standard controller.

Like the Tournament edition, the Standard controller is also armed with Hyperesponse action buttons, are PC compatible, and sports a 15 foot cable.

The Tournament controller will run you $49.99/€49.99, while the Standard will run you $39.99/€39.99. Both are available for pre-order starting on January 17, and will be in stores by the end of the month.

1. Erthazus

Freakin awesome. I think i will buy it. I need this for my PC and for the future 360.

2. Blerk

The Xbox 1 controller lives again!

3. theevilaires

Jesus… what tournament will anyone want to use these in?

4. freedoms_stain

I want this. I hate so many things about the 360 pad that this fixes, the shite d-pad, the loose sticks, the lack of click in the buttons, and the shitness of the stick clicking (which I shall remap to the new shoulder buttons)

Wired is a bit of a pain in the bum, but I’ll live. Fucking microsoft and their mission to alienate silk 3d party peripheral manufacturers.

I have a theory that MS are knowingly and willingly infringing on someone else wireless patents, therefore they refuse to let anyone else in on the gig lest the secret get out and they owe someone millions. How likely is that? Sony did it with their ps2 rumble tech…

5. jeremycafe

“Jesus… what tournament will anyone want to use these in?”

Every tournament involving xbox… Spend some time googling issues with the controller at competitive levels. One instance is when you look straight up and down, every once in a while the speed at which the controller moves up is reduced significantly. Issues like these are what razer sought to fix.

Also, MS has nothing to do with why this controller is wired. Its wired because it is designed for competitive players to avoid any delays with their actions. Every tournament uses wired controllers.

6. theevilaires

Did I say M$ had anything to do with this XBOT. How about they make a competition of CoD with both PS3 and 360 controller ports and see won’t I come out on top :D

7. ReeceHeywood

Wired controllers are so much better, just the other day I was playing with a friend and using a wireless 360 pad on Black Ops.

I noticed I was getting killed again and again. I couldn’t understand why because I was host and some shots even had the guys in aim while they had there backs turned, I then changed back to the wired one in the same match and managed to start getting kills again.

It’s like @jeremycafe said, there must be delays with the wireless designs. Plus you dont have the problem of 1/2 way into a match the controller fucking going flat.

8. jeremycafe

The second half of that response was towards reply below yours where freedoms_stain makes theories MS is cockblocking people from making wireless controllers.

And for the record, using “M$” and trying to start a controller war only states how much of a fan-boy/MS hater you are. ;)

9. freedoms_stain

@5, they may have nothing to do with why this controller is wired, but they sure as shit are the reason there is not and never will be a wireless version of it or ANY third party 360 pad. Note that there is a non-tournament standard edition which is also wired.

10. theevilaires

I state facts you guys start wars. Pushing a button versus pulling a trigger will always win. Just like using a mouse versus analog….its common sense not fanboyism.

11. Crysis

“I state facts” well a button is faster than a trigger, but outside of this topic, most of your ‘facts’ are just your personal opinions you have hailed as ‘fact’

12. freedoms_stain

@10, your theory is testable.

What we need is an online pc fps that supports gamepads, a private lobby and a few good men (or chicks) half with wired 360 pads and the other half with ps style pads.

I’m game for a little experiment.

13. jeremycafe

@10:
    “Did I say M$ had anything to do with this XBOT. How about they make a competition of CoD with both PS3 and 360 controller ports and see won’t I come out on top ”

Everything about this post is a cry for attention to start a flame war. Get over yourself.

14. jeremycafe

Not to mention, there was never any debate about which platform controller was better until YOU came into the comment section.

15. theevilaires

Uh I came into the comment section as 3rd poster sir and never said a word about comparing it to another controller.

If you were never butt hurt in the first place to quote me I would have never added more to this article. And since I have had quarrels with you in the past and know your preference of console I know you think the 360 controller is better than the PS3′s by default. I then had to correct you ignorance as to why you are wrong even though its you opinion.

@12 lets do it. I would like to end the controller debate once and for all but I ask to go up against a player worthy to match my skills and the only person here who can even compare slightly is G1GAHURTZ.

16. OrbitMonkey

Does anyone wish they’d bring out some current gen controllers in the style of the 1st controllers for the original xbox? Those bad boys could take some punishment :D

17. freedoms_stain

@15, I’m thinking team deathmatch to even out individual player skill.

TF2 seems like a good choice as it seems to support almost every control method under the sun.

18. theevilaires

@17 Oh great so I have to carry a bunch of losers through the matches basically which causes me to over work because I just that damn better. (I hate TDM)

TF2!? what is this 1999. CoD4 is the best well balanced FPS on the market today. Since both control differently I say we test both. Ok so let me know what I have to do to help you set this up.

19. freedoms_stain

Cod4 is no good, we preferably need a game that supports both the x-input and direct-input controller standards, cod4 doesn’t support x-input therefore it’s out. I believe TF2 supports both (and came out in 2007 btw : p) also I reckon most pc gamers will have it since it was tied to The Orange Box.

20. theevilaires

Well I have orange box on PS3. You gotta find another game TF2 is too slow for me. How about BFBC?

21. jeremycafe

@15, You are referring to how I stated I was more comfortable using the 360 controller due to time spent with it? And how I supported its a matter of opinion and what you are used to?

You fail to make discussion on this website without insulting people left and right, it never ends.

How is correcting your “ignorance” on where the use of this controller would be in any way lead to me being butthurt? You asked a flaming inspired question and I answered.

Again, get over yourself.

22. LORANT92

Best? lol
    Well balanced? lololol

23. MushroomStamp

I have to agree the 360 controller is the most comfortable controller I’ve ever used. The sticks also feel smoother, tighter and more percise than the bouncy over tight springy center of the PS3 controller that’s too low on the contoller for prolonged gameplay. Lastly, MUCH prefer the concave vs the convex feel of the top of the stick.

This like everyone’s elses, are all opinion. There is no such thing as a FACT when it comes to which is better. Different people prefer different feels.

I know if I were to take a game like Tiger Woods, I will shoot a more accurate game on the 360. Tiger woods shows you the exact line you draw when use the stick. I have TW for both systems, hands down myself and everyone I have played with can see the accuracy difference between the two. With the PS3 being over sensitive and bouncy causing a more severe direction change. Also the rounded top causing more fingers to slip off than the concave.

24. DUFFKING

TF2… slow? I’m presuming you haven’t actually played it since the console versions weren’t actually playable so I’ll let you off.