Only way to beat COD is to “make a better game,” says Riccitiello

Saturday, 4th December 2010 13:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

johnriccitiello2

EA CEO John Riccitiello believes Call of Duty is only beatable with a better game; something, he says, EA plans to make.

Speaking in an interview with Kotaku, Riccitiello said the way to go about beating the franchise is to: “Make a better game, and make a better game again. Over time we can take the lead.”

“The way you unseat a market leader is you make a better game a couple of times in a row,” he said. “If I had to pick the story I’d like to play out [is] next year is we ship a 90 and they ship an 85 [Metacritic]. Activision has] an awful lot of momentum without their brand, no doubt. What I’ve witnessed a couple of times in the games industry is the way you unseat a market leader is you make a better game a couple of times in a row. ”

Riccitiello figures EA went from having a tiny market-share in shooters to about a fifth thanks to Battlefield Bad Company 2 and DICE.

“I think it’s interesting that Battlefield Bad Company 2 got the same Metacritic score (both are 88- ed) as Black Ops,” he said. “We knew we were building on [the] Unreal [graphics technology] for Medal of Honor which wasn’t our foot-forward tact. We knew that going in. Our next game [Battlefield 3] is being built on the second generation of Frostbite which I think is at least in my opinion is a class act for FPS. I think we’re going to lift the game pretty dramatically in the first-person shooter category.

“I have great expectations to do a lot better in 2011 than in 2010 on the strength of a couple of products like Bulletstorm and Crysis [2], but most importantly for us, Battlefield 3, which I feel incredibly good about.”

As far as the speculated shooter from ex-Infinity Ward fellas Respawn was concerned, Riccitiello would only say “they’re working on a really cool product”.

1. Erthazus

Good Riccitiello, NOW GET BACK TO WORK for Battlefield 3. >:(

But i’m excited about every project in 2011 from EA this time:
    1) Crysis 2 – check (PC only for me. How the F, someone play it on consoles)
    2) Bulletstorm – check (PC for me)

and bring out the bomb already… We need Battlefield THREE!

I really want that. Stop making spinnoffs like Bad companies. We need hardcore stuff. Something like that in the past with 64 players or more with full vehicle support.
    On the frostbyte engine 2 that can destroy everything. EVERY piece of the landscape and house with next geeneration lightning effects, textures and etc. Come on guys, do it.

oh. and Mirrors Edge 2 please? :3

2. Naaame

Haha, why is this even news. This man ate a bowl of state the obvious this morning.

3. AHA-Lambda

but you already did that? O_o

4. Erthazus

@3 He didn’t.

They made better or good games, but in terms of profit they are not competing with Activision.

Bad Company 2 makes 5 million in one year, while Black Ops 5 million in one day. See? :D

5. AHA-Lambda

i know but tht’s not what he said :P

6. Grimrita

clearly he has played the dog shit Bad Company 2. BF3 had BETTER be 100% better or I am done with the series. Too many bugs haunt FPS games of late and its about time developers stop being so fucking lazy

7. Erthazus

@5 EA is a publisher. All they care is money and for them making better game by making a better profit.

@Grimrita, clearly you played some other game. Bugs were always a part of Battlefield series, but they were not that major.
    Start playing better.

8. OrbitMonkey

@1 It’s funny you say you want a more ,*hardcore* fps, when the simple truth is to beat COD you got to keep it simple. COD has a huge chunk of the *casual* market, who just do not like t.he idea of a 40+ min online battle, with vehicles & tactics. They want a exciting, good looking 10 min frag fest, which COD delivers.

9. Erthazus

@8 well, i don’t have problem with that. For each their own.
    I like COD battle mechanics actualy, but if they are done right. Modern Warfare 1 multiplayer was great.
    Counter-Strike got this right too.

After COD:MW1 it’s the same fest with new maps and disbalanced streaks. I prestieged in BO and was done with it.
    Waiting for the BC2 Vietnam. but it’s still a spinoff to Battlefield series. Just a fix till the BF 3 :D

10. Michael O’Connor

They make it sound like they haven’t already made such a game.

They have. Twice.

They’re called Battlefield 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

11. OrbitMonkey

@10 It’s all about the numbers baby, CODs got some big frickin numbers.

12. OlderGamer

@8 and 10

Yes and yes.

The reason BFBC2 is so much better for me is that it has far more depth. More players, bigger maps, destructable enviroments, tanks, choppers, snowmobiles, boats, classes that work well and depend on each other, and more.

But to many gamers those are NOT things they want in an OMP FPS. Todays CoD crowd is like the Unreal/Quake crowd from yesteryear. They good looking, fast and furious run n gun. Not too much to think about, point shoot and react. It is ok to die 15times if you can kill 15 players doing it.

I can play battlefield for hours and not shoot anyone, and still place top three in rankings in each match(I play as a Medic). Thats BF, CoD is just different.

To each their own I guess.

13. freedoms_stain

Personally I’ve had more fun playing Battlefield games than CoD, but they’re very different experiences.

Battlefield is more about team victory, and as OrbitMonkey suggests, CoD is more of a frag fest. I’d say at least half if not more of all CoD players treat every game type like some sort of personal deathmatch, winning doesn’t matter to them, most of them don’t even bother trying for objectives, as long as their k/d meets whatever standard they’ve set for themselves.

Whereas I don’t care if my k/d is negative in a given game as long as we win. I’ll quite happily lead a charge into a control point and be the 1st to fall as long as that death is calculated to allow the guys behind me the time to dominate.

14. Erthazus

OG, YES!

thats hte only word i can say. I agree with everything you say. Thats exactly how it is.

15. G1GAHURTZ

16. Forza Motorsport 3
    17. Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
    18. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
    19. Kinect Adventures!
    20. NHL 11
    ____________________________________

BF is NOT better than CoD, or more people would play it.

End of.

Sorry, but millions of people don’t just play CoD because their friends do.

Probably a big fat zero.

I say again… If BFBC2 was a top quality game, more people would play it than apparently currently do.

That’s common sense.

16. AHA-Lambda

“And of all these people claiming that BFBC2 is better than CoD, how many of you are still playing it?”

I am -_-

17. G1GAHURTZ

Stop it you, you’re ruining my point!

18. Erthazus

“BF is NOT better than CoD, or more people would play it.”

And Nintendo Wii is the best system in the world. Much better then PS3 or 360

Huge population does not make it something better and will never will. In some point it shows something completely otherwise.

I’m. I have already a second account on Steam.

Why Battlefield is better then COD? OG said everything.

19. freedoms_stain

@GIGA, “better/best” is all relative.

By your logic I should throw away all my favourite books, music, games and movies because they’re not top 10 in favour of the popular stuff which must be, by your interpretation of charts, better?

I think Battlefield is better than CoD, and I’m entirely entitled to that opinion, charts and popular opinion be damned.

20. Gekidami

The amount of people that buy into something is never an indicator of quality, otherwise Twilight would be one of the highest forms of art in the world and Justin Beiber one of the greatest musicians ever.

But in the case of BFBC2, sorry to break it to you but the game is a mess. Its mechanics are good but it dosnt mean much when the overall structure is so flimsy.

21. Babostainer

“BF is NOT better than CoD, or more people would play it.

End of.

Sorry, but millions of people don’t just play CoD because their friends do.”

So, Justin Bieber is the best musican in the world? That’s what you’re saying…

It’s not because is the most played game, it’s the best there is.

22. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t think that using non-interactive media is a fair comparison.

With music, films, etc, there’s no interaction. No sense of reward/achievement for listening to/watching any particular part of it in a particular way.

If you hear a song and it gets into your head, or you watch a film/TV program and fancy some actress you might be tempted to part with you cash for those reasons alone.

However, I think that the vast majority of gamers tend to buy the best game in the genre because they’ll get the best value gameplay out of it. Meaning that, unlike songs and films/TV when gamers get bored of games, they can’t really play them any more. Most gamers wouldn’t think of buying the original Wolfenstien 3D, because FPS’s have moved on a whole lot since then. But I’m sure many people listen to 30 year old songs/watch 30 year old films along with the modern stuff and don’t really see much of a difference.

So surely the best games are the ones that are played the most, because in gaming the best is what keeps you coming back until something better comes along. So if something out there truly was better than CoD, most people simply wouldn’t be able to go back to CoD in the same way that a hardcore PC fps player couldn’t go back to playing VGA Wolfenstien 3D every day after playing 2560×1600 16xAA Crysis.

A good game stops you from being interested in playing a bad game, so if the CoD competitors were all that good, more people would play them.

Maybe they still wouldn’t be the most played, but more people would play them, surely.

23. Michael O’Connor

“BF is NOT better than CoD, or more people would play it.”

There’s absolutely no logic in this argument whatsoever.

By that same logic, as already pointed out, Justin Biebar must be the best musical artist out sthere, simply because he’s one the most popular. And Titanic must be one of the greatest movies of all time. Or The DaVince Code one of the greatest books ever written.

Except in the last two or three weeks (due to the influx of new games) I play it almost daily with two local local friend.

I’ll be getting back into it this week, especially with the COMPLETELY FREE map pack just being released. Did I mention its free? Oh, and there’s the Vietnam expansion coming out in a few weeks as well…

“However, I think that the vast majority of gamers tend to buy the best game in the genre because they’ll get the best value gameplay out of it.”

Only a delusion person would believe that. Gaming is *littered* with unsung classics that never received the sales they deserved.

People buy the easiest, most casual, most basic offering. The one that’s advertised the most. The one that rewards then the most with the least amount of effort.

That’s why brainless shooters like CoD top the charts while masterpieces like Vanquish crash and burn.

24. freedoms_stain

Your argument would have to hinge on all gamers trying all games and thereby judging which is best, which clearly isn’t the case.

edit: that was to GIGA.

25. NeoSquall

@12 As a fellow medic I raise my medikit in appreciation of your comment.

26. Kuwabara

both mw games are average, nothing great. And the only reason they sell more than bf is cause of word of mouth , marketing , etc.. and all the causal gamers whp probably make up the majority of sales who owns a ps3 or xbox, bought mw1/2 to play with their friends online.

27. Michael O’Connor

@12, @25 Medics For Life! *raises med-kit*

28. Michael O’Connor

Bah.

29. Michael O’Connor

Triple comment? What the hell? Delete, please? =P

30. tontsa91

Give me a game with better and longer campaign, working multiplayer with no perks or any other bullshit and fluid gameplay and you will have my money.

31. Erthazus

@30 Crysis 2.

32. NeoSquall

@31 Wrong. I clearly remember the EA E3′s conference, where they showed Crysis 2 multi and said it will have perks.

33. Erthazus

@32 It’s not perks. It’s called META-Gaming.

Every fucking shooter these days have that shit. But Crysis 2 don’t rely on it much, because these perks are your Suits POWER.
    This is a gameplay mechanic of the game.

I’m right because you can now check Crysis:Warhead multiplayer right now.

34. mathare92

@12 http://24.media.tumblr.com/V3plvX2eRqf977jlJUOeGghwo1_400.gif

My sentiments exactly, OG.

I’ve put in more hours into BC2′s multiplayer than anything else this year. Shame I’m still on level 30.

*raises mortar stike binoculars*

35. NeoSquall

@33 >implying normal men/soldiers can’t get better weapon training, enhancements and equipment after enough training and ground experience because it isn’t a gameplay mechanic.

36. G1GAHURTZ

@ O’Connor

Like I said, I don’t think that you can compare interactive and non-interactive media. Justin Bieber (whoever he is) or Gaga or whatever don’t cause people to be unable to listen to New Kids on The Block or the Spice Girls. However, a new and improved game makes it difficult for people to go back to a bad game.

I can’t imagine going back to an FPS with no sprint, no jump, no 2nd weapon, no customisable sensitivity, no different game types, etc, etc.

If there was a better game than CoD, people would be frustrated with what CoD lacked and play the better game. If BFBC2 was that game, there would be more people playing it than the charts that I’ve seen currently indicate.

I agree that not every good quality game sells, but there is a definite distinction between sales and hours played. Just because you buy a game, it doesn’t mean that you play it, but people are playing CoD more than any other game (except maybe WoW) right now.

Therein lies the logic behind my opinion.

@ Freedoms:

37. Grimrita

I havent bought the last two COD games because they were shoddy ports for the PC. However, despite DICE’s claims about Bad Company 2, it too feels like a shoddy port.

Must gamers part with their hard earned cash, for bug fest releases that can take months to actually get fixed? It seems so. There is so much still wrong with BC2 online and its about time some of the bugs were actually addressed.

I used to love the Battlefield series but after BC2, BF3 had better be 100% better or I am done with the series.

Moving on to the reviews – who on earth still believes reviews? If you do – why? After the whole gamespot/kane and lynch affair and after what I have witnessed working next to a PR team, trusting reviews, is like trusting Labour with the economy!!!

It’s about time reviewers were honest and stopped handing out 9s to games that clearly do not deserve them.

38. Erthazus

“However, a new and improved game makes it difficult for people to go back to a bad game.”

BS. Because if you played previous oldschool games you can back to them easily and if you like them of course. But judging by your words like: Prototype was the first sandbox game i ever finished is truly BS, or SCII is the best RTS is absolutely BS.

because i recently and many players returned to oldschool Starcraft I that is more fun and there are plenty oldschool GTA sansdbox game before.

you must first understand what GREAT games were in the past to say that statement. I’m sure for 100% that O’Connor plays tons of shit of oldschool games every year.

In 2010 i returned to Starcraft I and replayed Duke Nukem 3D and DOOM 1. Finished all levels this summer.

“I can’t imagine that too many people are playing CoD4 after 3 newer versions have been released, but there are more people playing it than are playing BFBC2.”

and it does not make it a great game.
    I’m a fan of World Of Warcraft and people play it more then your Call Of duty (you said it for yourself) or anything else i think. Is this the best MMORPG on the market?
    Absolutely not. Games like Everquest II, Guild Wars 1, EVE Online and etc. rapes it apart except one thing: Long time support.
    When Guild Wars 2, TERA and few gems will be released there are still will be a big WOW fanbase. Much bigger and it does not make it a better game and never will. These few new games will still rape it apart.

“Therein lies the logic behind my opinion.”

Just stupidity, because there is no difference in interactive and non-interactive media because “People buy stuff based on recognition and popularity, not on quality or any sort of critical perception of the product. 90% of people don’t know any better.” and don’t want to know any better.
    and thats fine. Games are games, if they have interactivity, thats not make them like something different. It’s still a media, there is just a difference in how we enjoy that medium.

39. Crysis

CoD is pretty average, not my kind of game, to me it has the same depth as MAG, for me to like a modern day based shooter, it better be ultra realistic, last modern warfare FPS i enjoyed was BF2 & before that it was Joint Ops. Never played Counter Strike but i’ve heard generally good things, didn’t enjoy either Bad Company game.
    I also find it odd that CoD 4 & 6 have warfare in their titles yet vehicles play a surprisingly small part, how could you possibly call it warfare with such few vehicles?

40. OlderGamer

“I don’t see why gamers would be happy to keep playing the 2nd best when a newer, better, shinier game is supposed to be out.

Therein lies the logic behind my opinion.”

Here is my take.

First of all I disagree with you G1GA, and here is why. With a franchise game like CoD or like many sports games, Acti is going to make, publish and market a new version every year or so. They are not out to mak ethe best version possible and be happy with that and call it quites. They are out to convince you that you NEED a new version.

Some folks will still claim that the IW made CoDs are the best. Some folks will rally behind the Tyrech(sp?) made ones. If I had to pick I really enjoyed the co-op zombie modes myself. Sometimes it has very little to do with what game version is the best.

I mean most of the CoD buzz is based on presales anyway. And about presales, people buy a game (in mass) before they even sit down with the thing. They aren’t preordering the new game because it is better then the one they would be currently playing at the time. They preorder it because Acti/news media/game store reps/friends/fans have convinced them that they NEED that new version.

A preordered game hasn’t proven anything, qualitywise. Large preorders are due to one thing really – marketing. And yes, using past sales numbers or quality of past games in the franchise as motivation is also part of a marketing strategy.

I am just saying apply your thoughts on CoD to say EA sports. Each millions of folks buy the new Madden, NCAA, or FIFA amd emd up with basicly the same game, same quality, same features, same gameplay as they had the year before. They buy those games because in order to play online with their friends they have to keep up.

I believe that is what keeps CoD fans buying new versions. The idea that they will be left behind while most of their friends lists move on. Also …

…also the fact that when you put so many hours into the same game, your going to get tired of looking at it. You need/want new maps, new settings, and a couple of new “features” to break it up. Of course Act is right their to peddle a new version, and soon after new map packs.

Quality of game. Enhanced gameplay. New features have VERY little to do with any of it.

Lets say EA or Acti published the perfect football or CoD game. Think they would stop making them? Of course not, next year a brand new version of said games would be taking preorders and sitting on store shelves.

Why don’t I still play BFBC2 everyday?

It isn’t the game quality at all. I just like more and different kinds of games. I don’t just play OMP FPS. Maybe their is a demographical stat somewhere that indicates that BF fans have a wider range of game types they buy/enjoy. Maybe CoD fans own/play/buy/enjoy less different kinds of games. I don’t know. I have met gamers that honestly only play CoD. Thats all they play. Maybe it is all they own.

Not saying that is true across the board. I am possitive it isn’t. But, on a personial level I enjoy other types of games more then I enjoy OMP FPS. You have no idea how many hours I spend on Diablo II, Civ, Phantasy Star, and various “arcade” games. Kind of scary really.

In the end you really can’t claim that number of sales and number of users are a meassure of a games quality. Esp, scince the very idea of what is quality is subjective to whom is giving the meassure. Are there a lot of CoD fans? You betcha. Just saying.

41. OrbitMonkey

These debates are fun, but ultimately pointless. Like Einstein said, its all relative :D

42. G1GAHURTZ

Some good points as always, OG.

43. freedoms_stain

@G1GA, again I’ll say it, “best” is entirely subjective. There isn’t an objective standard, and numbers certainly don’t qualify.

It’s about what the individual enjoys, and CoD and BF provide very different experiences.

CoD is the arcade pick-up n play run-n-gun. Small, largely circular maps (all with an avenue down the middle of course), lack of weapon spray or recoil makes all weapons generic in terms of handling and range. There’s a massive amount of “class” customization in CoD, but in reality there’s only one class, Super Soldier, classes don’t really fulfil a particular role other than building a favoured Super Soldier.

CoD players seem to have a different mentality too, unless they’re playing with friends the idea of teamwork goes out the window. The number of times I’ve heard a grown man bitch at me for “stealing his kill” during a TEAM game of CoD is actually sickening – and I haven’t even played that much of it.

Conversely BF is built as a team game where different classes play a role in the battle, and as OG has said, it’s not necessarily purely about killing, because killing is not the only thing you can do to contribute to the win. There are 4 core classes in BC2, each takes a different skill set in order to be successful, and there’s a learning and difficulty curve associated with each, it’s not purely about building yourself a Super Soldier.

The inclusion of vehicles makes a big difference to the game too, shifting the balance, adding another layer to the gameplay and more to learn.

Oh yeah, and the maps aren’t cramped as shit.

So yeah, I reckon preference and subjectivity are applicable.

“They don’t have to play every game. They can just check reviews, demos, trusted opinions, etc.” yeah, the 5 million who bought Black Ops on day 1, queuing up at midnight launches, they were really relying on reviews, non-existent demos and trusted opinions, yeah? Or no?

44. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR

Look, not everyone’s likes are the same okay? maybe you like the simple aim, shoot and kill game known as COD, or you like the vehicle, giant maps, team tactical, etc awesome game known as BATTLEFIELD <- That is my opinion <- and that is my point! is all about different opinions and you gotta respect them…. BUT! the conclusion of that guy that said COD is better because more people play it than BC2… That is just so retarded… Please think before putting a post!

45. guapo

Why not just buy both games and get the best of both worlds?? Cod is my main mp game but i regularly jump on battlefield to wreck dudes. When i want more of a sim-like experience i play battle field, but I play cod more because of it’s fast-paced nature. Both are great games and are too different for comparison in my opinion. Surely this debate shows how fiercely gamers defend their fps of choice, no matter how often they put down the genre.

46. DSB

Ricitiello is right for once. The fact that CoD has gotten stronger with every iteration is hardly down to advertising alone. If it was shit, surely people would’ve noticed by now.

I recently picked up the retro CoD pack, and refamiliarizing myself with the first one, I’m amazed at how little has changed since the first game.

The highly scripted shooting gallery mechanic was just an approach to the FPS that was more fun and intense than most other shooters. You can try to worm around that fact because you’ve jumped on the hate-the-franchise bandwagon, but everybody who was around back then remembers that leap.

I don’t know what the universal standard of quality should be, but I do know that I haven’t played another multiplayer shooter in modern times, that places the burden of error as squarely upon me as CoD.

The game is tight, there’s little in the way of dispersion, and short of the shotgun lag and the annoying range of 40mm grenades, there’s very little that you can’t counter with skill. As such it’s my own fault every time I die, and my own accomplishment every time I’m at the top of the board. That’s excellence for a competitive shooter in my opinion.

I wouldn’t jump onto G1GAs numbers argument neccesarily, but the man arguably has a point in that Bad Company 2 has been losing players since around 3-4 months after release (as supported by Xbox Live and Steam trackers) whereas MW2 remained largely stable. Peer pressure is one thing, but people won’t be playing the same game year in and year out, purely because it makes them cool with their friends. As opposed to a movie or a popstar, there’s no real culture tied to CoD, at least none that I’ve witnessed. There’s no lore, no actors in tabloids, nothing except the gameplay, and spending a lot of time playing a game is arguably a higher level of effort on your part than simply going “OMG X ACTOR RULES” in gradeschool to fit in.

Also, it’s worth noting that in this comment section, it’s obviously “cooler” to hate CoD, which further lessens the peer pressure argument, since people obviously continue to play in spite of the online bitching.

@43 The fact that there’s a common design philosophy behind the features doesn’t make it generic, it’s just an attempt at balancing and defining your gameplay to rely on skill, rather than random outcome. By your standard, BC2 is generic in being a rolebased shooter and having dispersion on all it’s weapons, like countless shooters before it. I’m pretty sure that if you played with an ACR in Modern Warfare 2 and then made the switch to a Tar, you’d find yourself shooting completely differently.

As far as subjectivity goes, I think the last CoD had some of the best maps ever. Whereas BC2 often leaves everybody spread out for short and sweet firefights, in CoD people usually take up positions to cover chokepoints and leave it to the other team to flank them to break down those killzones, which is certainly a tactically smart way of doing things. The MW2 maps didn’t have one avenue, they were consistently built with three. That way one team would usually have one or two covered, whereas the other would flank around if they were smart enough.

Personally I consider that one of the most brilliant concepts in the whole franchise – Not that it’s supposed to appeal to everyone.

47. G1GAHURTZ

I’m talking about in general. Of the 5m who bought BO on day 1, the vast majority had probably played at least one of the previous CoD’s or had a recommendation from someone who had.

On top of that, they would have had access to a whole load of previews, saying that the game was looking good.

There are 12m people on XBL alone, the majority of which play CoD. Add to that PC and PS3 CoD gamers and it’s easy to imagine that the great majority of day 1 buyers were already CoD fans.

48. OlderGamer

“Although, while I do agree that marketing has an affect on sales, I’m not sure how much it would be able to influence so many people to get 5-600 hours out of one game.

I also agree about the quality of a game being mostly subjective, but I don’t think that sales and hours played should ever be completely dismissed as a quality indicator.”

Agreed and agreed.

Marketing may lead to a preorder, but that isn’t what keeps people playing a game long term. If enough people enjoy what the game has to offer it obvoiusly has the qualities that those people were/are looking for.

My only fear in all of this is that every publisher out there is looking for the CoD killer, and that leads to even more OMP FPS and less varrity on store shelves.

Hey btw, been meaning to ask you how your over seas trip has been going thus far?

49. Crysis

CoD i boring to me, i only enjoy Nazi Zombies, if you’re going to make a basic shooter, atleast give us something fun to do, CoD is at the middle between fun unrealistic shooters like Halo, & the intence simulation shooter like Joint Op, i wan one or the other, the imbetweener doesn’t do it for me & I’m not paying $50+ to play a zombie survival mode, also imo Treyarch does a half decent SP but IW were crap.

50. G1GAHURTZ

@OG:

It’s going good thanks. I’m really enjoying it so far.
    The two months that I’ve been here already have flown by.

When it comes to gaming, my 360 is still matching me with other UK gamers, so things are a bit laggy st times, but it’s not too bad.

51. OlderGamer

Glad to hear it G1GA.

Have a happy holiday season man :)