Sega announces Binary Domain

Wednesday, 1st December 2010 08:05 GMT By Johnny Cullen

binarydomain

Sega’s just announced Binary Domain, the new robot shooter from Yakuza creator Toshihiro Nagoshi that was revealed in Famitsu at the start of the week.

The game takes place in 2080 in Tokyo during a conflict between humans and robots, where the city has been split into two: rich and poor, the latter of which represents what the city looks like now with more destruction.

“What I wanted to create this time was a dramatic and energetic sci-fi shooter. When you hear sci-fi you may think of cold, clinical environments but with Binary Domain I wanted to combine this with a deep human drama,” Nagoshi said on the game.

“The keyword we have in mind for this project is “Life”. I wanted to make something that will be accepted by both the Japanese and Western markets and this fundamental theme is something everyone knows, but which the full extent of can be difficult to grasp.”

The AI for the game will be a massive focus for Binary Domain, with Sega saying it’ll “make the battlefield a more compelling experience than ever before.”

No date yet. It’ll release on PS3 and 360.

1. gehasoku

First trailer is revealed at famitsu.com

2. onlineatron

The ending of the trailer piqued my interest slightly, but the rest looked extremely generic.

3. Johnny Cullen

We’re uploading the trailer now.

4. back_up

Terminator

5. Gekidami

I was promised Buddhist monks shooting robots. I am disappoint.

Theres some crazy aliasing in those screenshots, then again its pretty bad in Yakuza to, so i guess i shouldnt be surprised.

6. Robo_1

Aye, that all looked like a big bucket of meh, and then the end was a bit WTF.

If you fancy shooting robots, go grab yourself a copy of Vanquish.

7. Patrick Garratt

There’s the video.

8. Erthazus

The ending was superb. In Japanese style, but really… A shooter…

9. Patrick Garratt

/watches trailer.

Hmm.

10. Goffee

Another game where robots miss while shooting at static targets, who programs this junk? And don’t get me started on the latent male-bonding undertones! :)

11. Blerk

Hmm.

12. Erthazus

Yeah… It’s a shooter from the JP developer… Generic as hell.. =/

13. Len

That is seriously underwhelming…here’s hoping there’s a lot more to come…

14. 2plus2equals5

Another terminator salvation game?

15. datamonkey

Have to say – this looks pretty gay to me!

16. FeaturePreacher

I guess not enough money is made on weeaboo friendly titles.

17. revolting

The Terminator comparisons are inevitatble (which is slightly odd, given that the Japanese have their own substantial backlog of killer robot tomfoolery to link back to), but to me this smacks much more of a Japanese response to Left 4 Dead. It’s all there, from the ammo sharing to strategic grenade cooperation with unfortunate side effects… the whole buddy-buddyness of it screams Left 3 Disassembled.

But regardless of where it draws influence from, it does look remarkably underwhelming, yet another title falling short of its wonderful potential. Shame, that.

18. Hunam

Looks a bit cheap to be honest.

19. LOLshock94

the voice acting in this is superb 10/10 for me

20. Anaron

I don’t know. The graphics are a little underwhelming but I think this game has potential.

21. albo88

the end was hilarious i hope this game will be good
    im curios to see the gameplay mechanics