“A lot of people who played WoW in the past” will be interested in its evolution and change, says Blizzard

Tuesday, 30th November 2010 21:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

cataclysm

Cataclysm’s chief project manager, J. Allen Brack has said Blizzard is trying to make World of Warcraft the “best it can be” and is not focusing on subscription numbers.

Speaking with Guardian, Brack said including goblins as a playable race for Horde is something which has been asked for repeatedly by players, and the developers think “a lot of people who played the game in the past” will be interested in returning and seeing how the game has “evolved and changed”.

“You know, traditionally we are pretty terrible at predicting what happens with subscription numbers,” he said. “So the thing we try to do is focus on just making WoW the best that it can be and so far that’s worked pretty well for us. We’ve done a pretty good job in terms of players’ subscription rates.”

As far as Deathwing is concerned, the destruction caused by the denizen has reached its peak, and no capital cities will be destroyed due to the creature walking around the world.

However, when it comes to areas which are changing or will be changed around a bit, the developers are currently looking into what else can be done with the Outland and Northrend zones created in the previous two expansions.

“We have started to talk about what we need to do with Outland and Northrend because the story that we are telling in Cataclysm is kind of interesting once you get to Outland,” said Brack. “Because there’s no congruity between the two stories. It feels a little weird for you to have the whole Deathwing is back and has destroyed the world, and you walk into Outland and your like ‘Hey! There’s this guy Illidan’.

“That feels a little weird and we don’t exactly know how we’re going to tackle that yet, but that is definitely something that we do want to find a solution for.”

Cataclysm launches on December 7, which is just a week away.

1. Hunam

To be honest, the game is now almost perfect. I recommend everyone give it a go now.

2. DSB

Perfection is in the eyes of the beholder I guess. Usually there are as many opinions on that as there are players and theorycrafters.

They are completely right though, it’s completely impossible for a former player to stay away from an expansion like this.

3. M2Kx

:D

Always have to laugh if I read the word “game” related to World of Warcraft… but then I remember that it’s sad :(

4. Hunam

Seriously, every zone has been remade. Redridge is my favourite so far, all the quests are utterly glorious.

5. Phoenixblight

You think Redridge is fun wait til you see Stranglethorn and the Plaguelands.

6. Hunam

They have managed to make STV fun?

You’re pulling my leg right?

7. Phoenixblight

Not at all. I would be the first one to complain if that wasn’t the case but no they even made STV fun and not a grindfest like the original with the troll ears or gorilla teeth, etc. No its actually an enjoyable experience especially with what they did to ZG.

8. OlderGamer

I used the 7 free days they handed out to return.

Some great and long over due improvments. But here is the thing. I have two accounts. One mine and one my kids and wife share.

Their account was hacked and we are looking at charge backs.

I haven’t played in months(either account) and haven’t used the old PC that I used to play on in months. I bought a new PC about one week after I stoped playing WoW/Battle.net. I had to redownload/reinstall the game client just to use the 7 free days.

And I found we were hacked. I used to buy into the idea that maybe people were careless, used add-ons, visited rouge sites, fell victim to key loggers etc. Now I am possitive, 100%, that it is possible to be hacked with absolutly no fault of the player.

And given that …. why would I want to start paying for wow again? Plus the 40usd for the cati expac. We had a stable of 80s on the compromissed account. They restored a measily 250G, to buy greens from the AH, thats a joke. And worse we still have to pay back the charge backss if we wanted to play.

In short it is the lack of account security that will keep me away from wow.

BS I say.

Where does my responsibility start and theirs end when it comes to keeping accounts safe? If I need an athenticator then one should be provided for free, and still it should be seen as a weakness of their lack of security at their end. Name me one other game that requires you to do this to keep your account safe?

Blizzard has 100% lost my faith.

9. Nonamegamer

Is it just me or am i the only one who sees that it is the same 40$ for just 5 levels! i am relly upset with blizzard for this i would have considered buying the expansion but for the fact of 5 new levels now don’t get me wrong, i feel it is great that they changed the “vanilla” azeroth and added new races but why? couldn’t blizz have added the typical 10 levels instead of 5 because for me when i used to play it wasn’t for all the endgame now granted i still played endgame but it was as much a part of the journey as the destination i feel and i can only speek for me but for haveing a few 80′s they should have let me take the journey to 90 and now i feel blizz is just saying here take it so you can get to endgame and ooh raid some more.

10. Hunam

I’d imagine it’d take as long to do those 5 levels as it would to do 10 normal levels? Once you get that high, any ability you get is going to be godly, giving you tons of stuff at that level would make balancing pretty brutal.

11. Nonamegamer

Still with just 5 levels doesn’t that make the classes even more “cookie cutter” because it is less talent points i mean i know they don’t want players to have a “frost fire” spec as in the ability to do 1 tree and about half of another i just feel like when i am playing i get pushed along to the end game as i said earleir i feel jipped for $40 and does bliz really need to give godly abilities… no they didn’t in the last expansion just because the lvl # goes up doesn’t mean that your abilities have to be more “godly” they just have to make sense as the other ones did to make the game fun that is all i ask from blizz 1 to make the game fun and to as related to og’s post i would like blizz to increase there security because when i have a gnome decked out in purples i don’t like to come back and see all of his stuff and his gold gone that was a lot of hours invested in those dungeans into getting that gear.

12. Phoenixblight

You are correct 5 levels but they need so much experience to get to that next level it would be like doing two levels of Wrath or BC even the stats jump accordingly. The new areas are huge compared to previous expansions.

@11 Security has been buffed especially for the states its not Blizz joob to make sure your computer is clear of malware or you giving out your password to damn near anyone. In the states you have 3 ways of securing your site by smart phone(free), by plastic device(6$) or by phone(free). Your computer and password is for you to protect not Blizzard’s. Right there on the TOS.

13. OlderGamer

I gotta go with JR. on this one PB.

I know for a fact that we were clean. I think the biggest trick of all that Blizz has pulled of is to convince the masses that people getting hacked did something wrong. My wife is a high up IT PC nerd for a fortune 500 company. She runs said companies Security in terms of their global Email servers, and DR for it(she now handles some 140K users within their messegaging enviroment). Long story short our PCs are locked down tighter then I think they need be.

We never run add on, we won’t even visit wow heros.

We didn’t do anything wrong. We have two accounts, same pc, one was hacked one wasn’t. Trust me. or not. There is more to the Blizz/Battle.net account theft then meets the eye.

14. Phoenixblight

Yes to boost money Blizzard sells passwords and accounts to hackers. THis is the first I have heard of it. You are saying they make all their GMs fish through millions and million of logs to find these hacked accounts’ gear and gold just because they can. Yeah that makes perfect sense. They aren’t making money on the authenticators as I said two of them are free and one you are paying 6$ for which they sell their pets and mounts for twice or even triple for.

15. OlderGamer

Your being unreasonable PB.

Where did I suggest or even elude to anything remotly close to Blizzard selling account keys? Or having some master plan to force subscribers to buy authenticators as a money making scheme?

That is just plan dumb.

However are you really as nieve to think that ALL comprimised accounts are a direct result of players being careless? I don’t buy that for one second, not anymore. But Blizzard would love you to keep thinking that way. I know I used to. I used to think that rouge emails(phishing), keyloggers, bad addons, fansites, friends sharing logins, and just about anything else you can think of was to fault. Now I know better.

No doubt that many, and maybe even most accounts are lost to one of those various ways. But not all, not mine.

And I could accept the fact that I got hacked. Crap happens, and it often stinks. I could deal with that. But the fact that I was hit with a charge back? Nope, not happening.

Its crazy, think about it. They already restored some stuff. Not all, too much time elasped for them to do a complete restore. So instead the toons were given a starter set of lvl 80 gear and 250G. But in order for my wife and kids to play, I must pay the charge back. The charge back is of course in the form of one months subscription. And of course a charge back occurs when a CC doesn’t go through.

So someone used CC fruad to activate my account.

And Blizz freely admits that my account was activated by someone other then me. But still wants me to pay?

Man, that is all kinds of wrong.

But Blizzard has you convinced that I must have done something wrong. Hell maybe I was even so careless as to almost ask for it. And there is a whole army of folks that have the same pov as you have PB.

Something like 12M play WoW, and I am sure tons more use battle.net. Simply said they are a target. No matter how good their D is sometimes the hackers will score.

So please don’t be unreasonable. My account was hacked. Period. I don’t want to pay or subscrib to Blizzard subscriptions right now. Thats reasonable.

Oh, also unreasonable to think that everyone that plays wow has a mobile device that can use their mobile authenticator. I know I don’t. And would you want to make a phone call each and everytime you logged into the game? I get up in the AM, thats a phone call, I tunr it off and get lunch, another phone call, do dishes, walk the dog, grab the mail, get a phone call, etc. rather inconvienant if ya ask me.

If I ever decide to return to wow, and I had been playing off and on scince launch, I will buy an authenticator. For awhile at least, I am going to stick with XBL/PSN/Steam.

16. Phoenixblight

“Oh, also unreasonable to think that everyone that plays wow has a mobile device that can use their mobile authenticator. I know I don’t.”

Not everyone, No, but how else is Blizz going to contain these hackers. Only way to do it is through smart phone, device or the phone service outside the reach of the user computer and it really is not any more difficult than pressing a button on your phone, device or calling them which is a two second thing my wife does it.

My account was hacked 7 months ago did I blame blizzard for it? No, I messed up somewhere there is no other way of your account getting hacked other than the user messing up somewhere on the nets unless Blizzard is giving out passwords and account info. Not sure where you are getting at or how you are placing the blame on Blizzard. As I said it is stated on their TOS that they don’t have to look for hacked accounts gear and gold, they do it as a courtesy.

17. OlderGamer

I know it is nice that they do a look into it for you. But I honestly think that they wouldn’t worry about it if it was only one or two%. But it seems like almost everyoe I talk to has at one point been hacked before. And I think they do it, because if they didn’t, they would lose people in droves.

All of that indicates two things, to me.

One is that the problem is so wide spread they really have to do it.

And two, at least some element of the “Hacking” is not just user end fault.

Of course I don’t know for sure. And am not pointing fingers. The only thing I am 100% certian of, is that my PC was not comprimised. 100% possitive.

Like I said Blizzard is a hella target. WoW is huge.

Going forward I hope they learn from this for their next MMORPG. Nearly everything BOP. Nodes instance for each player individualy. A Blizzard run store, selling in game iteams/mounts/weapons/armor/gold. Completly ban add-ons. And so on. Little in game design stuff that elemenates opertunity for someone to exploit something in game for out of game profit. Trying to reduce the game as a target would be a huge help. IMO.

I read that a stash of Data had been oncovered that litterly contained millions of game account login keys. Games from NCsoft to Sony to Blizzard. I mean really crazy numbers like 5million plus accounts. I can’t remember the link/story/web page at this point. Sorry. But my point would be that games like WoW where you can make a fair amount of real world cash(chinesse gold farmers, anyone?) are going to draw a lot of attention from cons.

Knowing that, more needs to be done to keep peoples game keys safe. I do believe that educating gamers is a good and needed step. But no way do I feel that blame can be fully placed on the end user.

Besides this is Blizzards bread and butter. If hacked accounts drive away their paying subscription holders … surly it is in their best intersts.

Anyways it is late, I need to get to bed. Sorry your account was hacked, but unless I was 100% sure where/how/when your account was compromissed, I would keep an open mind. I know people have the “it must not be true, unless it happens to me” pov. I know a guy that has been hacked three times. And he keeps going back to Curse for addons. But I also know a couple people that claim they never used adds or clicked false emails or anything else. But once it happend to me, now I believe them.