Mirror’s Edge “fell short”, says EA Games boss

Monday, 29th November 2010 17:15 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mirrorsedge

EA Games boss Frank Gibeau has told Develop that expectations for Mirror’s Edge “fell short” within the company.

The DICE parkour action title was reviewed decently, but has become one of the big cult hits amongist gamers this gen.

Yet despite that, the title just didn’t live up to what EA had expected for it.

The lesson Gibeau says EA learnt from Mirror’s Edge was “you have to execute, you have to spend more time on a game to ensure it’s polished, and you need to have the depth and persistence of an online game.

“First-person parkour across buildings is fun, but to be blunt, Mirror’s Edge’s’ execution fell short.

“There were issues with the learning curve, the difficulty, the narrative, and then there was no multiplayer either.

“The key learning from us was that if you’re going to be bold with that kind of concept, you need to take it as far as it can go in development.”

EA COO John Schappert said back in February at DICE the reason Mirror’s Edge and Visceral horror Dead Space didn’t fare so well last time out was because not enough support was given.

But where as Mirror’s Edge didn’t do too well in terms of sales and profit – it’s sold 2 million units as of October, with 750k sold in North America – at least Dead Space brought in a profit.

“It made money for us, but didn’t hit expectations. We felt like we had an IP that struck a chord, and one that hit quality, but again it missed multiplayer modes.

“So when we re-worked Dead Space [for the upcoming sequel], we looked at how to make it a better idea, how do we make the story more engrossing, how do we build [protagonist] Isaac as a character, how do we make this game a success online.”

But despite all its trials and tribulations, Gibeau says EA “won’t give up on those IPs.”

Dead Space 2 was announced near the end of last year, and will now launch in two months time on January 28 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

A Mirror’s Edge sequel was confirmed by EA Games Europe VP, Patrick Soderlund, at E3 in 2009. Since then, however, sequel chatter has been quiet.

1. Johnny Cullen

Dear DICE: I want a Mirror’s Edge sequel more then Battlefield 3.

Signed, Johnny Cullen.

2. Hunam

I want Mirror’s Edge 2 a lot, but the PC needs a proper Battlefield more than anything.

3. OrbitMonkey

@ I’ll sign that letter too :b

4. Gekidami

Mirror’s Edge had that overall lack of quality you tend to find in most EA games. the concept was good, everything else was not.

5. scuz

Monetarily no doubt. Fuck you EA

6. Whizzo

Mirror’s Edge problem was the combat, Faith is obviously not a trained special forces operative so it’s pretty silly she got dumped into situations that required her to be one. Ditch the firefights and you’d have a much better game.

7. StolenGlory

I am hoping and praying that Mirror’s Edge 2 gets a debut teaser at the VGA this year.

It wouldn’t be a *huge* title (unlike BF3 which I think they will formally debut early next year) and would make for a good fit for the show.

8. Goffee

Multiplayer – what is Frank smoking exactly? I love both Enslaved and Vanquish and not a smidge of MP in sight – http://bit.ly/hrWbsI – there should be no need for gamers or executives to obssess over multiplayer. If a dev thinks it is worth adding, then they will do it. If not, they shouldn’t.

9. Erthazus

PC need Battlefield 3 a lot.

I want Mirrors Edge 2 too.

10. Razor

Start a petition Johnny. I’ll sign it.

11. OrbitMonkey

@6 I disagree, play through without using guns & its a quite intense, tough little game. Using guns though made the game a cakewalk.
    @8 Completely agree. Gamers still want quality single players. Not tacked on multiplayer.

12. onlineatron

DICE seemed to forget what made Mirror’s Edge brilliant half way through development.

As soon as the game switched to in-door, claustrophobic sections the game lost A LOT of it’s charm.

13. Rhythm

The problem with ME was categorically not the lack of multiplayer and if they shoehorn in in to any potential sequel I’ll be miffed

Anyway, everyone knows that what DICE need to get sorted out is a real sequel to Rallisport Challenge 2 or Midtown Madness. Hot Pursuit was a great way of them showing they’re still interested in racers but I’d love to see them get back to reviving those old titles

14. JimFear666

Dear dice. Can you do a game without any bug in it?

15. CaptPierce

The game was nowhere near as refined or as good as people hoped for. As a first game and experiment from people that make nothing but games about killing, going this direction was a good first try. Quote me on saying the sequel will be damn near perfect. :)

16. DarkElfa

Duhn duhn da-da-duhn!

I miss the Battlefield 2 theme.

17. Johnny Cullen

I can’t honestly think why EA hasn’t had a sequel properly announced sooner.

Look at Ubisoft. Assassin’s Creed. First title was seriously flawed, but the potential was there. Look at the IP now thanks to ACII and Brotherhood.

You can pretty much describe that about Mirror’s Edge 1. If the sequel Soderlund mentioned is as big as an improvement, or on par, with that of Assassin’s Creed, the sequel will have the potential to be awesome.

18. freedoms_stain

I only played/finished this game in the last couple of months, and I fucking loved it.

Yeah, Parkour doesn’t 100% work in first person, but for me it raped the ass off Assassins Creed for execution on that front, but some of the techniques they developed for FPS running and movement are amazing.

The atmosphere and visual style of the game was fucking awesome too. Love the soundtrack and the bright white environments. It looked cracking on my 8600GTS, Can’t wait to rock it up full on my new 460GTX.

19. Erthazus

“Look at Ubisoft. Assassin’s Creed. First title was seriously flawed, but the potential was there.”

Mirrors Edge bombed with sales.

Assassins Creed was a good idea that little boys and girls always wanted: to be an assassin. Assassins are brutal and can execute freakin awesome moves.

+ good sales.

while

Mirrors Edge idea is by far more complex with it’s world, characters and etc.

20. OrbitMonkey

Well until EA pull their fingers out I guess I’ll be making do with Brink, for my 1st person parkour fix.

21. SplatteredHouse

Keep the Faith, EA.
    You had a great start last time, introduced a shining new IP, now, follow through on that and develop the franchise. Mirror’s Edge was really impressive, if flawed in places. Don’t let those put you off sticking with a real gem of this gaming generation.

22. Erthazus

@20 Brink? I’m not sure you can call it a “Parkour fix” with one button parkour.

But Brink looks awesome. I hope it delivers.

23. Quiiick

Mirror’s Edge has it’s flaws but overall it’s a very innovative and enjoyable game.
    Dead Space on the other hand is a boring, uninspired cookie-cutter shooter. I couldn’t care less about Dead Space 2 but would love to see a sequel to Mirror’s Edge.

24. DSB

Great concept, but poorly executed.

@17 I think it’s a bit harder than that with Mirror’s Edge. The original Assassins Creed felt like a tech demo, but it was a very solid tech demo at that.

Mirror’s Edge didn’t fail on content (or lack of same) it failed on fundamentally flawed mechanics. I’m not saying you can’t fix that, but they have to rework the controls in the game and let you jump around a lot more efficiently. And how would that go down with people who played the first one? It’s the core of the game, after all.

That being said, I’d love to see Mirror’s Edge 2 do just that and succeed.

25. dirigiblebill

It’s a real thrill when everything comes together, but you’ve got to put in the legwork, and a lot of people weren’t comfortable with that.

Assuming they’re making a sequel – and they bloody well should be making a sequel – I think they need the same amount of carrot but less stick. Make it easy to scrape by, but ball-breakingly difficult to do well, as opposed to just ball-breakingly difficult across the board.

26. Anders

I loved Mirror’s Edge, despite the lackluster narrative, and I really don’t understand people who say that the game lacked in execution. Mirror’s Edge was awesome.

27. Erthazus

@dirigiblebill,
    “I think ME’s problem was one of perception more than anything else. They billed it as this super-empowering, super-slick parkour experience in which you’d skid up and down skyscrapers with barely a second’s thought – as opposed to a trial and error platformer which owes as much to, say, Gran Turismo as Sands of Time.”

That is a FALSE statement. Because PC version was a perfection and you could skid up and down skyscrapers with barely a second’s thought without any problem because of a MOUSE.

Platforming was absolutely perfect. PERFECT.

Now they are going to introduce Auto-Aim in Mirrors Edge 2 (i’m sure) that will just push the game mechanics behind it’s predecessor.

28. dirigiblebill

“Platforming was absolutely perfect. PERFECT.”

/wipes spittle off forehead

I’m not saying the implementation was off, I’m saying the game was built round the idea of trial and error – working out where the ramps, rails, crates, etc were and chaining together a complete series of leaps, slides, springs, etc on the sixth or seventh go.

In the promotional materials, you only saw the results, never the learning process.

29. OrbitMonkey

@23 How dare you sir!! *shakes fist* Deadspace was fantastic!!

30. OrbitMonkey

They should totally make Mirrors Edge 2 Kinnect compatible. If only for the resultant YouTube vids of gamers fucking themselves up :D

31. YoungZer0

The only thing that bothered me about the game were the boring characters and really bullshit story.

32. AHA-Lambda

i want a ME2 but they need to fix a lot imo.

Especially tht awful, AWFUL storyline

33. Erthazus

Boring story? Wow… Mirrors Edge is a fantastic Techno-thriller. Someone just don’t enjoyed it’s story but that part was executed almost perfectly. It’s a matter of taste and reviewers never had problem with the stroryline.

the premise of it is perfect also. I just wish next time they will use cut scenes.

34. YoungZer0

Yeah well most reviewers don’t care for story at all. If they would, the game would’ve had less fame.

35. Erthazus

They actually care. Reviewers mentioned Mirrors Edge plot a lot. It’s fantastic actually.
    One of the best Techno-thrillers in videogames to date and execution of it was good. The idea was perfect.

Really subjective, but i didn’t liked cartoon cut scenes, but everything else was good.

I just afraid that they will lose that magic with stupid Multiplayer addon, when they have chance to make a brilliant Singleplayer campaign this time.

Multiplayer? Battlefield 3 is a game that need that.

36. YoungZer0

But … it sucked hard. “This city is fake, before that we had this dangerous and dirty city, people got killed and raped, but it was alive, so i’m running around dropping stuff off, probably bombs.”

37. OrbitMonkey

@34 Reviewers do care about story, its just so few games have a decent plot they don’t dwell on it. Though when a rare gem appears the reviewers love it.

38. kupocake

Dear Video Games Writers Guild

Betrayal Storylines do not work if you only have two allies.
    Please Stop Doing This.

The Undersigned.

39. DSB

@38 There’s a videogames writers guild? How cute :p

If they had to listen to that, they’d probably have to disband though.

40. Clashback

I like ME a lot. Actually, I’m still playing it sometimes. The game surely needs more polishing and more freedom to roam and a MP, but I think it had one of the most original and refreshing gameplay i’ve seen in years. More freedom like Assassins Creed and a couple of hours more gameplay will do the trick…