PlayStation 2 turns 10 in Europe

Wednesday, 24th November 2010 11:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ps22

Gran Turismo isn’t the only Sony legend we’re remembering today.

PlayStation 2 celebrates its tenth European birthday today, having launched in Europe on Friday, November 24, 2000.

Japan celebrated the machine’s tenth anniversary in March, with the US following suit last month.

The PS2 era played host to sequels of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid and more, but the console was best noted for the evolution of Grand Theft Auto with GTA III.

Two more games in the series – Vice City in 2002 and San Andreas in 2004 – were timed PS2 exclusives, the latter being the biggest-selling game on the platform with just under 20 million units sold as of February last year.

PS2′s slim form-factor released in 2004.

Ten years on the platform is still alive, with both games and hardware bundles still releasing. Those David Lynch ads clearly worked.

God bless you, you multi-coloured marvel. Never die.

1. Blerk

What a machine! Happy birthday, PS2!

I might fire mine up tonight as a tribute. Wonder what I’ve got kicking around to play?

2. onlineatron

You bastard Cullen… Why would you link me to that ad?!

I have to try and sleep now with that, that, that DUCK stuck in my head.

Can you imagine those adverts in today’s Wii-tinged market? The PS3 would probably drop behind OnLive in terms of sales… shame :(

3. G1GAHURTZ

I didn’t play my PS2 anywhere near as much as I played my PS1.

In the PS2 days, I also had a GameCube and an Xbox. I played the GameCube the most (Mario, Zelda, FIFA, etc), then the Xbox (Halo, FIFA, etc), then PS2 (FIFA, 007, Gran Turismo, etc).

It was the other way around with my PS1, which although I spent many hours on GoldenEye and Zelda, I still played more than my N64.

4. Isuru86

You Sir, have no life.

5. Johnny Cullen

@2 – :D

Quite frankly, it was the console that made me want to be who I am.

Metal Gear Solid 3, Zone of the Enders 2, Burnout 3, Kingdom Hearts and Grand Theft Auto: Vice City were the defining moments.

Happy birthday, PS2. We love you.

6. Michael O’Connor

Rest in peace, PS2. You were a true legend.

7. G1GAHURTZ

@4:

No, no, no…

I’m the coolest kid in town!

8. cookiejar

Still my favourite all time console. So much fun.

Remember unboxing mine one Christmas, with GT3 bundled in. Didn’t see me all day :D

Good times.

9. DaMan

both two of my PS2s ‘re resting in peace anyway, or more like in pieces. thanks for the incredible dvd-rom, Sony. maybe you should’ve not ditched the cartridges.

10. KAP

Yea for real. My best gaming days so far has been with my PS2.. SOTC,
    ICO,
    Brave Fencer Musashi,
    FFVII onwards were the best days i think.

11. Quiiick

… I will never forget when I first played the demo for Metal Gear Solid. That was a truly defining moment. I was at the age of 39 back then and realized that console-gaming will from now on be a fundamental part of my life. :)

12. Razor

I still play my launch PS2. Thing still sounds like a jet machine.

I keep saying I’ll get a PS2 slim one of these days…

13. M2Kx

DC > this

14. Hunam

PS2 > All other consoles.

15. DaMan

NES > PSX > MD >= SNES > N64 > PS2

16. cookiejar

PS2 > Oxygen.

17. DaMan

4chan >Oxygen > vg247

18. Gadzooks!

I did enjoy my PS2 a lot, mostly for GT3 and SSX Tricky.

It got relegated to the attic once the Xbox was released, but I still have my PS2 and bust it out occasionally. Ah, fond memories of what Sony used to be.