GT5: Day one patch needed for online play

Tuesday, 23rd November 2010 10:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gt5

Sony’s said that downloading a 133Mb patch will be necessary to play GT5 online.

According to EG, the update takes Gran Turismo 5 up to version 1.01, and adds online community features.

Without the update, the game give players an error message when they try to race online.

That’s life. Watch Sony opening the Collector’s Edition here. The racer goes on sale tomorrow.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I’m just waiting for the worldwide recall.

2. Hunam

It’s taken this long and they are still rushing to get it finished?

I’m kinda glad I couldn’t talk my brother into getting the game the xmas, he’s not really a gamer so all this stuff would just infuriate him. I think if he does get it, I’ll have to stealth install/patch the thing or he’ll just chuck it in the bin.

3. Goffee

That’ll be the anti-piracy measure then

4. Gekidami

Are there any games on console that allow you to play online without having the latest version installed?

5. Razor

Very little. But this is GT5…so it has to be a negative.

6. NiceFellow

Got the game Monday. It’s very good but online wasn’t working – now I know why.

Interestingly all the bits for online are there so I’m thinking this is more of a patch to prevent going online early for people like me.

7. cookiejar

This sadly seems to be the norm with most games on all platforms these days. Almost nearly every 360 game I boot up for the first time has an update. It was either NFS or AC:B recently that needed one at boot.

8. The Hindle

Sony are rumoured to be shipping 7m for this year alone so the demand must be huge, it will sell that 7m as well no doubt and with no marketing as well lol hilarious.

9. Psychotext

“Sony are rumoured to be shipping 7m for this year alone”

I really, really doubt that. That would be equivalent to what MW2 has done since release on the PS3, and it would outpace the sales of every previous GT game by an insane margin.

Don’t get me wrong, it’ll sell 7m eventually… but not at such a pace that they’d need to ship 7m in 40 days.

10. typeface

To be fair, I do believe the online MP would be intentionally locked out as it would give those of us who have the game already a somewhat greater unfair advantage (not that we wouldn’t considering those who have it would be unlocking cars right now).
    But most games with online MP do or used to lock those features till the actual release date (at least games like SC2 did) and they’d have a patch which enables this.
    I’d say it’s a good thing really for anything with leaderboards.

11. Psychotext

Does the online mode have leaderboards? (I genuinely don’t know, I’d have assumed that the leaderboards would have just been made up of laptimes, both online and off)

12. The Hindle

I know hence why i said rumoured, its from a guy on neogaf who was quoting a source. It will easily sell over 10m when all is said and done i just hope Sony actually let us know how its doing.

13. ianbenoir

i think this have something to do with a certain “jailbreaker” lol.

14. cookiejar

@11 Well, it has this ‘My Lounge’ feature where you have various bulletin boards with information about players and current events. I’m pretty much certain this includes timing boards for friends and general players.

15. Freek

Woulden’t be so bad if they patching procces wasn’t so damn slow on PS3.

16. Erthazus

My copy will arrive tomorrow and i can’t wait for this thing. It’s going to be amazing.

@Psychotext, shitty prologue already outsold any previous prologue series. They did 4 million with just a demo.

With GT 5 they will easily will sell 7 million or even more by the time.

17. Psychotext

I said they’ll do 7m… they sure as hell wont do 7m at the sort of rate that would require them to ship that many copies in the next 40 days though.

18. Erthazus

I’m interested to see if GT5 will boost PS3 sales…

Because judging by previous generations GT series always pushed Playstation consoles.

19. typeface

@11 well the patch is live and was downloaded when I started the machine thanks to the whole Plus thing.

It however turns on the online ability right away and does some more installing, unlocking (of the museum and online functionality I guess).

As for leaderboards, I believe they should be there.

Oh also about the patch, until the servers go online later in the evening or tomorrow morning, don’t download it, or disable your PS3′s internet connection if it’s already downloaded and installed. As when you hit the server timeout it doesn’t really let you choose any options, thus diabling you to play. But you can play once the internet’s off. I guess server timeout still messes with the interface access(I’m pretty sure Prologue had that happen to me before).

Outside of that it’s a lot of fun and B-spec is definitely quite enjoyable.