Activision on Bizarre shocker: Some “wallowing in the worst possible outcome”

Tuesday, 16th November 2010 22:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

blur3

Activision staffer Dan Amrich has carpet-bombed Twitter about the reporting of news that Activision is “exploring options” related to Bizarre Creations, claiming the studio has not “closed,” and that some are “wallowing in the worst possible outcome”.

“I guess it’s the difference between accepting reality or wallowing in the worst possible outcome,” said the Activision-employed blogger, in response to criticism on Twitter of a blog post in which he claimed the studio is merely “going to go through some sort of change”.

“Consider firstly that the studio is not dead, so there’s no demise — let’s get the facts straight, lest we see hysteria,” he said.

When it was highlighted by VG247 that he had picked a Gamasutra piece on the matter specifically because it wasn’t “hysterical” – with the obvious assumption being that other reports were – Amrich added, “You have twisted my words. I’m not cheering this news, but I also think that some people have reported it too strongly.”

Activision has confirmed that it is “exploring options” regarding Project Gotham Racing developer Bizarre Creations.

Multiple reports – including Amrich’s own, although he’s since said on Twitter he was “following Gamasutra’s lead” on the subject – have said the studio’s staff been put on a 90-day redundancy notice.

As the steadfastly non-hysterical Gamasutra notes, the 90-day notice is a legal requirement in the UK.

Activision released a statement in the wake of rumour of up to 200 staff being let go, saying, “Blur did not find a commercial audience” and the publisher is now “exploring options regarding the future of the studio, including a potential sale of the business.”

Amrich said the move gives time for Bizarre staff to “prepare”.

“Well, a buyer could keep everything as is,” he said. “It’s certainly not good news, but at least folks can prepare for change.”

He went on: “Is it possible the studio will close? Is it possible the studio will change? Is it possible the studio will be sold as is? Yes.”

And added further: “When some people hear bad news, they want to focus on it. I’m not in that camp. I hate bad news but I’d rather think critically.”

One more for luck: “I am prepared for the worst but hoping for the best — that’s all. There are a lot of talented people there; not giving up on them.”

Don’t give up on them, Dan. And the rest of you; stop wallowing, will you?

1. lolwut111

hahahahaha!

2. JoeX111

Speaking of critical thinking: Of course you’re not going to focus on the negative. You’re financially tied to the mother company being criticized.

3. KingCancer

scrap blur 2, don’t make anymore 007 nonsense and forgetabout kudos and they might survive or not im not sad if they die.

4. JPickford

What a twat. They put everyone on 90 days notice.

5. Freek

Maybe if Activsion had even a remotly positive image rather then a string of nasty letigation and studio conflicts people woulden’t expect the worst from them.

6. bugmenot

Does this mean no sequel to The Club? WTF

7. Blerk

How many copies did Blur sell? There seem to be a decent number of people on my friends list who have played it.

8. varsas

Sell to SEGA, make MSR2!

9. Captain Fruitloop

@Blerk. Acti bought BC specifically to get into the racing game market – which had been a gap in their games portfolio – and to develop a game to compete with Need For Speed, which has been doing very nicely for EA.

That was BC’s brief: to produce a NfS killer.

However high Blur’s Metacritic score, and whoever many of the people who did buy the game absolutely love it, it’s clearly not the NfS killer that Acti was wanting, in terms of sales or ambience.

10. Freek

Neither is MoH a CoD killer, but EA seem sensible enough to realize that you can’t just do that in one game.
    Blur was a decent franchise with potential to be big. Killing the whole thing after one game seems shortsighted.

11. Blerk

Hmm…. surely if they wanted a NfS killer they should’ve made something that was actually like NfS? Blur always seemed more like a cross between Mario Kart and Wipeout to me.

12. Captain Fruitloop

I strongly got the impression that BC’s heart was never in the NfS killer idea, hence why they missed the target so badly. (And they did miss it; it was a weird hybrid game, neither one thing nor the other.)

In a perfect world, they’d all probably have preferred to be doing another Project Gotham.

I also suspect that Acti – who relentlessly focus group-test eveything – knew pre-release that Blur was a non-starter, hence the poor marketing support it received.

13. BraveArse

@blerk – it is that kind of cross on the face of it. It’s a really hard sell to make, it’s MK with Wipeout but wait… PGR cars? Most folk, including me were pretty sceptical that it would be any good. The beta was a bloody disaster too.

The sad thing is that it turned out to be a superb racer which the majority of my friendslist are still playing at least once or twice a week.

14. majorjuggs

So I guess that means the hope of any DLC for Blur has evaporated, only brought this game on Friday! -and still not enough to save them.