Report: Ignition closes up shop in Florida, 70 employees told to “go home”

Wednesday, 3rd November 2010 18:43 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ignition logo

Ignition Entertainment has shut the doors of its Florida studio, according to an anonymous source close to GI.biz.

The report comes on the heels of the firm’s London studio closure in September, and the cancellation of its WarDevil project.

According to the tipster, speaking in an email to GI:  “Several members of the UTV Ignition Corporate Office in London came in [to the Florida studio] with police officers, and asked the 70 members of staff including the GM and executive producer to pack up their stuff and go home.”

The source also claimed Ignition owner UTV invested $23 million in the studio, which was working on a game called Reich.

“The studio opened in Nov 2007 and the previous managers had misspent the money. A slice of the game revealed a [review] rating of 5.0 instead of the desired rating of 8.5,” said the email.

Ignition has so far declined comment on the report.

Best of luck to those affected.

1. Erthazus

They had potential…

But released Deadly Premonition
    Blacklight: Tango Down

=\

2. endgame

““Several members of the UTV Ignition Corporate Office in London came in [to the Florida studio] with police officers..” wtf is wrong with these ppl?

3. freedoms_stain

It amazes me that some countries still allow this form if undignified sacking.

4. Stephany Nunneley

A lot of companies use a security escort to keep people from stealing items or smashing stuff to bits on the way out. Or, from kicking their boss in the privates.

5. Hunam

America’s corporate culture is one built on sociopathic values.

6. Uncontested

@5 I guess you missed that part that the execs who came in where from LONDON, you know.. ENGLAND.

Corporate greed is universal, not just “American” get over yourself.

7. endgame

@Uncontested I disagree with that. I was born in eastern europe but I think completely different from a eastern european. if those guys moved in the US it probably means that’s where they belong. british ppl r usually much respectful. even when they fight u they fight u with style. :)

I think freedoms and Hunam r right. :)

Steph r u trying to say that what they did is right? :)

8. Coheno

What about Shane “Mangod” Bettenhausen?

9. Uncontested

@7 I realize you’re mentally retarded, and have zero reading comprehension so I’ll lay it out barney style for you dipshit. The executives where from London, England, they were not from the US, the went to a US Based office, from their office in London, England. So please, fail harder while trying to insult America. Just because you people are to idiotic to admit greed is everywhere because you want to insult a country.

10. freedoms_stain

@9, the point was about the corporate culture of America which allows this to happen.

Yes the execs were from the London office (although that says nothing about their nationality), but the way US law works this is acceptable, it’s not in the UK.

If you read the article regarding the London studio closure there was an announcement of the closure and a period of winding down operations. Contrast that with Florida where some execs turn up tell you you’re fired, leave now.

11. frostquake

Having been with a company that shut its door and let everyone go for no reason, I understand this. We even went so far to get a lawyer, but almost all state laws protect the Employer and not the Employee’s. Almost any State can let you go for any reason, they don’t like the color of your shirt, your fired! If you look at most contracts it states they can let you go, “For any Reason”.

We actually just let it go, as the lawyer said we would be wasting our limited left over money.

12. endgame

@Uncontested Yes I have zero reading comprehension and I also fail hard at trying to insult America. Only that I’m not u f**ktard. I’m only insulting as freedoms pointed out the “corporate culture”! every country, every civilization, every group of ppl has it’s pros and cons and this is one of America’s cons. whether u like it or not I don’t care.

oh and even though grid is everywhere I have to mention that in some places it’s bigger than in others.