Industry “forever changed” by PS2, says Tretton

Tuesday, 26th October 2010 19:46 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps22

As the American PS2 turns ten years old, SCEA boss Jack Tretton has posted on the PS Blog to claim the console “forever changed” the games industry.

“When the platform launched back in October 2000, the industry was forever changed by the introduction of a device that came built in with a DVD/CD player and offered Internet connectivity and online gameplay for the very first time,” said the exec.

“The PS2 went on to introduce brand new entertainment formats, such as motion technology with the EyeToy and has broken several industry milestones, such as being the first game console to hit 50 million units in North America.

“PS2 is also solely responsible for bringing to market some of today’s most well known and beloved franchises such as Ratchet and Clank, Killzone, God of War, SOCOM, and Jak & Daxter.”

PS2 released ten years ago today in the US, and has now sold more than 140 million units worldwide.

Games are still being made for the machine, and it’s still available new.

The EU anniversary isn’t far off; the machine celebrates its tenth birthday next month.

PS2 turned ten earlier this year in Japan; it released there in March 2000.

1. NoxNoctisUmbra

Sure Nintendo console turn gaming back on, but PS2 was a console for adults and kids.

2. LOLshock94

ps2 had nothing accept really shit game devs making really pointless and cheesie games thank god those devs have went to the wii

3. Tallon 4

I still believe that Dreamcast could compete with the PS2….at least if those SEGA morons had some proper marketing. Still a bit sad about their exit.

But tbh the PS2 was also al great machine with a bunch of great games

4. cookiejar

Great video. A nice insight into PlayStation. Jack Tretton seems a nice fella. Out of all the gaming execs, hes the only one that doesn’t want to make me scratch my eyes out.

PS2. What a console.

5. Goliath

I love my Dreamcast and my Nintendo and Super NES will always be dear to my heart but the PS3 is the greatest console of all time.

6. RETARDED VIKING

PS2 was great, one of my favorite consoles ever! then came that turd sandwich they called PS3 (MGS4 and Demon’s Souls were exceptional) everything else was meh.

7. itsucks

what a giant turd that man.

8. freedoms_stain

The PS2 certainly had a slow start, and it was fugly as hell (not as fugly as the original xbox, which is actually improved in form factor if you drop a turd on top of it) but it produced some amazing gaming moments for me.

9. mathare92

@4 +1

10. night_tripper

@2 your a total moron ps2 had great games and it did change the video game industry forever and some of those developers not all are making stupid cheesy gamecube quality trash for the wii while the rest of the smart developers stuck with playstation. I am glad i have a ps3 i was never interested in the wii.

11. Kuwabara

the playstation consoles will always have the more, better exclusives! Nintendo has died and gone casual, xbox is shit.

12. undeadwolfy

^ This

13. StolenGlory

Troll much you fanboy jackass?

14. LordCancer

i say 11 speaks the truth even though i think the ps2 was a horribly under powered machine that ruined great series like breath of fire and suikoden.

the ps3 has outpaced xbox 360 in everyway especially when it comes to exclusives sony has not only built a dozen triple a new ips but delivered a dozen new ones based on old ip.

if your one of the losers who only cares about halo i really dont understand why you guys read anysite other then bungies cause thats all the games you get is halo more halo more halo more halo more halo.

i made a mistake buying an xbox 360 i wished i had bought a ps3 instead, bioware was the last nail in the coffin for me.

looking for a rich benefactor to buy me a ps3 and demon souls, whos my daddy? haha

15. stretch215

@14 except the most important category: sales. It will never catch up this gen. I love my ps3 but I only play exclusives on it because it seems like all multiplatform games are better on 360. The ps3′s life cycle will probably be longer but I suspect MS’s next console will be out first (again). The Fanaticism on this site is amazing, as always. To dislike something is your right, but what do you add to the conversation by putting it down and saying it’s “shit”. I get the feeling that there are more teenagers on this site than I thought. And if you are an adult with this behavior then shame on you.

16. Ransom

The ps2 didn’t produce games. The developers did.

17. LordCancer

sales and shame your an imbecile stretch. microsoft isn’t making games. fable and halo thats all they make all the while pissing away 500 million on kinect marketing and scamming us $60 a year for the bullshit addhole that is xbox live. All I have is this stupid faggot assed xbox 360 that breaks every year and has no games, sony comes out a year later and has demolished microsoft where it counts with games building new and old ip’s while microsoft year after year kills off or loses its first party developers and now the great bungie has gone. 500m + rare = the future of this stupid box. if your gonna defend this nonsense then your opinion counts for shit.

18. Elven_Star

PS2 is still the best console. Better than both 360 and PS3. Yeah, I said it.

19. LordCancer

those super crappy 3d graphics and super long load times were great!

20. _LarZen_

Who have not owned a PS1 or PS2? For me the PS1 was the machine that changed everything…remember still the first time I saw Ridge Racer running on it…it was love at first sight and one of those rare “oh holy shit” moments in ones life.

21. LordCancer

ps1 was great wasn’t it? i always loved segas though. i don’t much care about anything anymore. i was happy that sega survived as a software company but all they do is make more bad sonic games and copy the industry with stupid action games they don’t innovate like they used to there dead.

22. DaMan

meh.

23. DaMan

also, Mega Drive, SNES and PSX are the best consoles ever.