Resistance 3 the last in the series? “I don’t think so,” says Insomniac

Sunday, 17th October 2010 11:31 GMT By Joe Anderson

resistance

Insomniac may now be a multi-platform studio, but it doesn’t sound as though Resistance is going to be ending any time soon.

Speaking in the latest issue of Game Informer as to whether or not Resistance 3 will be the last in the series, Insomniac’s Ted Price replied, “I don’t think so. I think Resistance 3 is a story within the Resistance universe that can be expanded upon.”

“Doors will be shut, but they won’t be slammed.”

Resistance 3 follows the story of  Capelli, who has started a family with Hale’s stepsister Susan, and is trying to save his save his son and complete some “other” unknown mission.

Numerous improvements have been implemented over the second game, with Capelli now having the ability to climb over walls and through windows, upgrade weapons, use explosive nail grenades and make use of a brand new weapon named the Mutator, which shoots biological mists.

According to Game Informer, the campaign also includes a co-op mode, although there will be no alternate story as there was in Resistance 2.

You can catch more details on Resistance 3 from Game Informer here.

Resistance 3 will be out sometime in 2011.

Thanks, PS3Center.

1. cookiejar

I don’t mind more games, I’d love them. Just as long as Sony don’t do what Microsoft did with Halo, or Acti did with COD, and shove it off to other developers.

I’d rather wait a few years while Insomniac do their thing, then get another proper Resistance.

2. Gekidami

GI scans here:

3. reema

I really can’t wait for Resistance 3. Maybe I’m more excited for this one than Killzone 3. Oops.

4. polygem

of course. you SHOULD be more excited about resistance than killzone. it´s the cooler ip and will probably be the better game. i really think the mp in r3 will get huge and awesome. insomniac are great developers. they take care about the gameplay mechanics. weapons feel great. i think it´s only fair that they go multiplat now that bungie does the same thing…good exchange deal for ps3 owners and 360 owners i´d say…

5. JimFear666

so we will have a online coop mode from the Single player story? Thats awesome!

6. Happy Hardon Harry

Someone should just put the franchise to bed as the games are fucking tedious. Average, run-of-the-mill tripe.

How any gamer could call the Resistance games “good games” seriously need to play more/better games.

Killzone isn’t any better either…

7. Johnny Cullen

I think Resistance 2 is good. I loved it.

I am pumped for Resistance 3.

That is all.

8. Crysis

Resistance 2 was awesome, my first PS3 game(along with MGS4) & definately in my top 10 fav games this gen, the details were amazing, the huge online battles were fun, albeit often confusing, but 64 players! how many console games do that now?-i think MAG is the only other one which exceeds it. Overall, it’s a fun game with awesome looking monsters & fun multiplayer, i’d reccomend giving it a real chance before you pass it off as generic, kind of hard to be innovative in the FPS space unless you mix genres or something crazy, but i guess it was the first console game to hold over 60 players at once, that’s innovative, is it not?

9. NoxNoctisUmbra

I still think R1 and R2 are under appreciated. Both games do not have as robust online play as Halo 3 and Reach, but singpleplayer may be the most fun I had out of all FPS games this gen. Even it was more fun for me then HalfLife 2. R1 and R2 is a Standard FPS game, you dont need to take much cover as in KZ2, or its not as realistic as Socom games, but it takes a standard formula of a FPS game and its very fun.

Its really hard to choose halo over this, but we all know HALO has way more experiance in FPS while R1 and R2 does not, so I think I will put R1 and R2 as my Favorite FPS games, next comes HAlO, then everything else

10. Erthazus

@Crysis, “but i guess it was the first console game to hold over 60 players at once, that’s innovative, is it not?”

It’s not innovative. It’s stupid. Other FPS game don’t use these numbers because someone know about a balance very well.
    It’s like a Chess game. You won’t have more figures in your game if it is not balanced very well.

Resistance 2 was very dull in everything. Graphics were the only thing that were ok for the current generation. Everything else was dull, well maybe dialogs were OK, but thats it.

Reviews are a good example.

11. XxT_I_K_IxX_PR

@6 Dude I respect your opinion but not everyone thinks like you in my case I love the Resistance series and even more Killzone (gameplay, multiplayer story is cool too, but I think the Resistance story is far much better). If you don’t like the game doesn’t mean they should end it. For example I don’t like Halo but I’m not saying they should end it(but for the looks of it, it ended lol).

12. Crysis

@10, i found the 64 players to work very well in some circumstances, you’re not forced to do 64 player games, so it’s not stupid, regardless of your personal opinion, it is innovative-pushing the limit of players on a console, but the most important factor of this, was the lag, it was barely noticable which i felt was an incredible feat for that many players.

13. Johnny Cullen

FYI, it was 60 player online. :)

14. Erthazus

@12 It’s not pushing a limit or nothing Crysis… god damn it… If console didn’t do that before thats because games does not need it before.

Until the game is polished no one gives an F about 60 players.

Battlefield 2 on PC have 64 players and thats cool not because of the 64 players online, but because it had balance, classes and other stuff.

15. Crysis

Ok, thought it was 64 because it normally has player limits as 2,4,8,16 then 32 in a few games so i naturally assumed 64.
    & @ the all so ignorant Erthazus, For a team who have been working exclusively on Spyro & Ratchet for 8 years running, i think it’s an incredibly polished game from an inexperianced FPS dev with only one prior FPS (Disruptor, 1996) game before Resistance, & i will spell this out very slowly for your benefit, Y-O-U-R O-P-I-N-I-O-N I-S N-O-T T-H-E S-A-M-E A-S E-V-E-R-Y-O-N-E E-L-S-E-S, the one thing you cannot comprehend, you think the universe shares your thought & refuse to understand that many, MANY people disagree, i found the multiplayer in Resistance 2 to be incredibly fun, & thousands of other people would agree with me.

16. Isaaclarke37

I can’t wait to see this one first.
    Because this games sales supposedly should decide whether there will be other resistance games or not.

17. Gekidami

GI have put up a timeline for the series: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/10/15/the-official-resistance-series-timeline.aspx

18. polygem

@6: it is a great game. i can´t understand how any gamer can´t see this…there are few games that play so well with such smooth gameplay…resistance, ratchet and clank and of course halo have the most fun weapons in videogaming imo. these are the only games i played through again this gen (and lost planet 1 but this is a strange love affair), because they are so much fun gameplaywise. also i prefer the artdesign of these games much more than more realistic looking games…resistance definately deserves a place in the hall of fame of gaming.

19. Kuwabara

R2 under rated, even though it got awesome reviews. This game has some of the best looking levels you’ll see in any game. The only graphical change i expect are the fire effects.