PSP “getting a bit old,” says Yoshida

Monday, 20th September 2010 16:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

psp 2

Looks like PSP is set to join that gaming retirement home, if comments from SCE WorldWide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida are an indication.

The exec told GI at Tokyo Game Show the system is starting to get “a bit old.”

“When we launched PSP it was the newest, biggest, brightest thing that we had – and after five or six years, and releasing many games, there’s no denying that people start to see that it’s getting a bit old,” said Yoshida.

“But we’re always trying to expand the market – now our focus is on shifting to a younger audience and a more casual audience, and we’re making games for that audience.”

The original PSP was first announced at E3 in 2003, followed by a formal reveal the following year. It was released in Europe five years ago this month.

No talk of PSP2, though

So if PSP is about to bite the dust, surely this means we’ll see PSP2 soon, right? Shu’s saying nothing.

“Of course, I am not answering that question,” he said when asked by Kotaku at TGS if PSP2 would be either disc-based or digital-only.

“But as technology and infrastructure improves, digital devices will become a larger part of people’s lives.”

Last week, Mortal Kombat developer Netherrealm Studios said it had gotten hold of a PSP2, but hadn’t received a 3DS.

1. spiderLAW

that picture of the PSP makes it look sexier than it actually is. I love the way my PSP looks but for some reason, that picture makes it look amazingly beautiful. Maybe its the lack of fingerprints lol.

2. The Hindle

Id say GOW GOS will be its last AAA game personally.

3. StolenGlory

Screw you Yoshida, I love my PSP.

>.<

4. Psychotext

Just get on with it FFS. We all know that the PSP2 is coming.

5. Erthazus

I love my PSP so much… and i love it more than DS (except of The World Ends With you, amazing game on the DS. Masterpiece.).

amazing system.

6. DoubleM

Sorry Yoshida, but I’m going to get a 3DS this November and will surely have it for years. I’ll play my Metal Gear and Resident Evil on it.
    If you want to change my decision, show me what PSP2 is and have a great line-up with it.

7. Erthazus

@6 First of all it’s launching in Novemember MAYBE in Japan Only and 3DS line up is smoke and mirrors (hype).

8. SlayerGT

Since its a PSP love fest I’ll chime in :) Iv put im on day 207 on GTPSP. Cant get enough. And I just picked up Gladiator Begins. Its pretty deep. Enjoying it so far.

9. 2plus2equals5

I love my psp, the psp isn’t old, but the arrival of the 3ds needs the psp2 to come.
    PS:
    Am i the only one who noticed the power button on the left? :|

10. DoubleM

@7 The Secret and the law of attraction says if we believe in what we say, it’ll become a reality in the real word. So I keep saying that this thing is going to get a November release date at 29th BECAUSE I FUCKING WANT THAT THING.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@2. I’m afraid you may be right. What about Resident Evil PSP announced? I wonder if they’re gonna push that to PSP2 now.

I’m selling my shit while the getting’s good!

12. spiderLAW

@9 lol
    Thats the FAT PSP so its the wifi switch that you see. NOT the power button. lol.

13. theevilaires

Hey Garratt wheres that PSP2 article you said you were going to put up? Obviously you know something we don’t know. So spread some gossip around dude.

14. DarkElfa

Getting?! That shit has a beard.

15. Patrick Garratt

@13 – Working on it. It’ll happen soon.

16. cookiejar

Its all coming together now.

Devs having PSP2′s to play with, the PSP 1 getting the kid treatment (like all dying consoles do) and now this.

I just want to see it!

17. 2plus2equals5

@12: lol, my fault! XD

18. AHA-Lambda

god a bit old!!?! ABIT?!!?

the psp as a brand in tatters! Every day they let this roam the earth one day more it becomes more difficult for a psp2 to be a success in an evolving handheld market. There should have been a proper successor about 2 years ago ffs!!

19. 2plus2equals5

@18:
    What?
    So mgs:pw, kh:bbs, gow:gos etc are all old things? Oh please!
    Every time a game is released on psp is a: “i want it on ps3″, “why they don’t make it on ps3?”, “damn you psp” etc.
    Is this your idea of old thing?

The truth is that nintendo consoles aren’t selling like first years, so nintendo decided to release the 3ds.
    3ds is the only reason for a psp2, nothing else.

20. Yoshi

Your all saying you love your psp’s n stuff but I wonder how many of you actually BUY the games XD

21. Michael O’Connor

@20 I do. Bought Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep the same day Halo Reach came out.

The PSP is my most played games machine right now, has been for quite some time. Since I’m the move a lot, it’s super convenient.

I <3 my PSP.

22. pspgamer01

@
    I have 30 UMD’s (35 including the sold ones),cica. 19 minis, 3 psone classics, 7 psn exclusives, 4 full psp psn games. and a bunch of ms’s and accessoires.

23. manamana

Lol! Guess you took the right gamertag then.
    I’m counting 24 UMDs btw. Some bought new, some second hand. I think I have 2 or 3 games flying around at some friends PSPs, but I can hardly remember which games. Wait, FFVII is missing f#ck! Most played: Metal Slug Anthology, Lumines, SWBF

24. AHA-Lambda

@19 – oh please i’m not disputing the release of games even i bought peace walker! But dont you dare tell me the psp isnt in trouble after having one look at any npd since….oh i dont know….the last 2 ****ing years!!

25. manamana

@AHA you’re right. I’m really pumped for 3DS and wish a new powerfull PSP2 would come along. But I hardly see it on the horizon until christmas 2011 … Do you Mr. Garratt? ;-)

26. Dr.Ghettoblaster

The question still stands…

Resident Evil PSP

PSP or PSP2 ???

27. 2plus2equals5

@24:
    I don’t know why usa doesn’t like psp, but i don’t think it’s because the psp is a 6 year old hardware.

@20:
    I buy games and i would have already bought mgs:pw, kh:bbs and vc2 if the analog was not gone crazy. :(

PS:
    I know i’ll make you lol, but my most played psp game is yugioh gx LAG force 3. XD

28. manamana

My bet is on PSP2. Capcom will probably make a big step foreward with the 3DS version. They don’t want to go back in time by developing for an outdated console.
    Lol@2+2 – how old are you mate? :-D

29. 2plus2equals5

@28:
    I’m 29! XD

30. manamana

Each his own. I’m 38 and still love this stuff. My lovely wife is hardly leaving her DQix btw. …

31. Michael O’Connor

@30 Please clone your wife and send her in my direction. =O

32. manamana

Heh, if I could clone her, I would’nt leave the house and double the fun! XD

33. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I read the first line of comment #27 with a Jar Jar Binks accent…..lol

34. spiderLAW

Me and my wife are 25yrs old. Shes all into those dragon quests and JRPGs. I’ll play JRPGs but she gets buried in them. lol. I’m just lucky she’ll play every kind of game available on any system (except PC)

35. Dragon

I like this(http://cdn.techi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/psp2thoughts-mar10.jpg) more; But it’s fake!

36. KAP

What I just bought a brand new psp 3000, sony? How could you? Nah only messing!

37. frostquake

I LOVE MY PSP-1000

I would have bought more games for it, but hell there weren’t any DAMN games for it..releasing 1 every so often is not a way to support the PSP platform you JACKASS!!

Now I just fill it up with Comic Books from the PSN Store…Make more games and I will buy more. I have 2 PSP’s one for me and one for wife…and one DSi, for the Wife! The Wife plays more PSP than DSi…and now your going to market it to 8 year olds…SHEESH!

There was NEVER anything wrong with the PSP from the consumer end, Hell even the DSi has cartridges, the problem was in developers not making games for it!!

Why the HELL should I buy a PSP 2, when you can’t even support the Regular PSP with software??

38. NightCrawler1970

Anybody have the specs of PSP2? does it have bluetooth?

39. pspgamer01