Japanese hardware sales: PS3 passes Wii in 2010

Monday, 20th September 2010 18:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3black

PlayStation 3 has now sold more than Wii in Japan this year, with the Sony console having moved 1,017,094 units compared to Wii’s 1,015,513.

The figures are taken between Media Create’s first recorded week of 2010, which started January 4, and the service’s last recorded audit date of September 12.

The news signifies both PS3′s Japanese ascension and Wii’s global decline. Wii is also about to lose its year-to-date crown in the US, with Xbox 360 looking likely to pass the Nintendo console in the next two months.

With both Move and Kinect certain to push both PS3 and 360 hardware in the Christmas build-up and no known similar initiative for Wii, it now seems clear Nintendo’s hardware will finish 2010 as a runner-up in both the US and Japan.

PlayStation 3 looks as though it will be the real winner this year, though. The last round of financial information from Sony and Microsoft showed that the current reported gap between 360 and PS3 on a global level is now only 3.6 million units and that PlayStation 3 outsold Xbox 360 by 4 million units in the 12 months ending June 30.

DS is still leading in Japan this year. Nintendo will announce a release date and pricing for 3DS at a Japanese event on September 29.

Japanese hardware, January 4-September 12, 2010 (combined SKUs):

1. DS – 1,637,461
  2. PSP – 1,453,248
  3. PS3 – 1,017,094
  4. Wii – 1,015,513
  5. 360 – 153,564
  6. PS2 – 60,012

Japanese hardware, year-to-date (click for bigger image):

japhardwaresales362010_insert

And here’s everything from Media Create’s latest reported week.

Japanese hardware, September 6-12 (combined SKUs):

4. DSi – 16,345
  5. Wii – 15,031
  6. DS Lite – 4,328
  7. Xbox 360 – 2,915
  8. PS2 – 1,363
  9. PSP go – 809

Here’s the previous week’s data.

1. theevilaires

Should only get better with MOVE I think.

2. Dralen

Stupid Question. Why do we never see handheld games getting the biggest sales records? I mean they sell enough…oh wait that’s right, people just buy the handheld and never buy any games for them. Sorry I hate handhelds, just needed to vent.

3. theevilaires

Ok the PS2 sales are officially seen as used sales now….no way people are still buying a 10 year old console.

HOW!? WHY!?

4. Patrick Garratt

I don’t understand the PS2 sales. I have no idea why anyone would buy one.

5. Razor

I understand it; there are hundreds (literally) of PS2 games that went under the radar. I’m still buying PS2 games today. There’s so much I’ve missed out on on PS2.

6. Michael O’Connor

Because it has nine years of great games behind it and titles are still being released for it.

7. OlderGamer

Right, plus lets face it they cheap. And don’t come with the burden of DLC to have to buy on top of the purchase price.

8. Gekidami

You obviously dont pay much attention to the Japanese software charts. Portable games nearly always top it.

9. Michael O’Connor

Heck, I’m still making my way through the Persona games, and there’s that completion of Dragon Quest VIII I’ve been promising myself for years now…

10. Patrick Garratt

Well, yeah. But apart from that.

11. OlderGamer

Hell don’t overlook DQ Michael. I even enjoyed that one. Not the graphics so much, but the gameplay is very good.

12. Michael O’Connor

@11 It’s one of my favourite RPGs of all time.

I got so wrapped up in everything you could do in that game though that I never got around to finishing it.

Then another game came out, and another… and another…

13. Johnny Cullen

I’m going to call it: discontinuation of PS2 within the next 6-12 months.

I just can’t see any games that will have a monumental impact on it anymore.

It’ll be a sad day when it happens, and it has been of great service no question, but I just can’t see how Sony will continue to support it beyond the end of the year after its tenth anniversary in Japan earlier this year, with its tenth anniversary coming up in the US and Europe later this fall.

I just can’t.

14. Michael O’Connor

@13 I remember the day the PSone was discontinued. I cried a little inside… then immediately booted up my PS2 and played them on that!

Thank god I can play most of the PS2′s back catalogue on the P— oh wait!

15. cookiejar

@13 I’d go along with that. And to coincide with the end of PS2, I reckon we’ll see something to do with BC on PS3, perhaps even that patent we saw last week.

16. Dralen

@14 They better start making PS3′s Backwards compatible with PS2 games when they discontinue the PS2, or I’m going to be mega pissed off.

17. night_tripper

@16 if you buy a new ps2 now or used ps2 there are very cheap and then you don’t have too worry about no backwards compatibility on ps3.

18. get2sammyb

The day Sony pulls the plug on PS2 is also the day they start putting PS2 Classics on the PlayStation Store. You know it’s coming…

19. manamana

@17 … and two consoles to dust off … BWcomp is a must!

20. theevilaires

They may just do that to gain even more sales. Can you imagine people selling in their non BC PS3′s for a fully all in one PlayStation (across 3 generations) machine in slim form!!!!!!!!!!!!

SONY’s not remaking all PS2 into HD classics and they could very well start selling PS2 games in the PS store and being able to be played on the PSP2. Wild speculation but its one I know everyone would love to see.

21. Michael O’Connor

@20 Yeah, that would be a wonderful new feature to add to the PlaySt—

…oh wait!

22. OlderGamer

I think there would be a lot more gained from Sonys perspective to simply recode a few of the top teir PS2 best sellers, put em both on BD collections and offer em as DD on PSN.

I am glad I have a fully BC PS3, but I don’t see them revisiting the BC monster any time soon. Sadly enough.

23. manamana

@20 nice speculation: PS2 BC PSP2 FFS! – thats how the new SONY slogan should look like.

24. mojo

22.
    they filed a patnent for a small extention unit fpr the ps3 in jaopan, which allows u to play ps2 games on it.
    Dont know if it will ever make it to the market, just saying.

@ news: well no wonder. The time comes where everyone has a wii.

25. Kysshin

Does that ‘extension’ has a name ? I would be interested in more information about it.