Famitsu: Valkyria Chronicles 3 confirmed… for PSP

Wednesday, 15th September 2010 03:06 GMT By Nathan Grayson

vc

Have you been marking down the days on your calendar until Valkyria Chronicles makes its glorious return to the big, beautiful realm of HD?

Well, you might want to go ahead and grab a few new calendars. Does Costco sell calendars?

According to a listing in the most recent issue of Famitsu, Valkyria Chronicles 3 is returning for another gritty, blood-soaked tour of duty in happy, colorful, I-think-the-sun-just-winked-at-me anime land all right.

On PSP.

Valkyria Chronicles 3′s existence was already more confirmed than most games released during the SNES era thanks to a slip-up from Sega and  a teaser site, but the publisher still had the game’s platform under wraps.

Many fans and a few art museum curators had their fingers crossed for PS3, but if Famitsu’s typically reliable info is accurate, those people are out of luck.

The game will release on January 27, 2011 in Japan, will have a new and original story with a new set of leading characters and is based in the same time period as the original Valkyria Chronicles. It’s focused on a group known as the “Nameless”.

Thanks, Siliconera and Andriasang.

1. Bleak Harvest

The sound of my heart breaking.

The first advertisements and shots in Famitsu make me hopeful, though.

2. Johnny Cullen

Bit bummed it’s not on PS3. But it’s Valkyria Chronicles!

Even more so, it’s set during the same timeline as the original! Must buy!

3. Bleak Harvest

Check your Twitter, John.

Also, Released January 27th…. 2011.

4. Psychotext

Fuck you sideways Sega.

5. Kuwabara

its cause of u stupid mw2 fanboys, u spending ur money on shit shooters, and true quality games like valkyria chronicles get low sales, so sequels come out on psp!

6. LordCancer

If ya smell what The psychotext is cookin!

7. Phoenixblight

Yeah blame the MW fanboys. Activision advertised MW what did Sega do with Valkyria not even an advert.

8. LordCancer

well if theyd have made it for xbox 360 I would have bought it for $15… thats all I had left after I bought mw2.

9. HighWindXIX

Dammit SEGA! You fail at life. Advertise your games. They’re quality but no one knows about them (nor how to pronounce Valkyria for some reason. Makes me wanna rage. Ya know?) SEGA dropped the ball big time on this. I don’t think there’s a single person out there that wasn’t hoping this would be PS3. Listen to your fans. Give us a damn PS3 VC game again.

10. LordCancer

sega never listen to anyone, least of all there fans.

11. loki

hell no, i wont it for PS3

12. revolting

Embuggerance.

13. Elven_Star

SEGA’s main market is Japan where people actually know what to look for in a videogame and in Japan, PSP is huge.
    After the first game’s sales disaster in EU/US markets, I’m amazed they even wanted to take the risk to publish VC2 outside Japan. Dunno about VC3 yet.
    Anyhow, I have VC2 on PSP and it’s every bit as good as the PS3 game, if not better. so…
    /whine off

14. Erthazus

Failure. but stil… As JC said… It’s Valkyria Chronicles.

15. Ge0force

I don’t see what the problem is, VC2 plays as good on PSP as VC1 on PS3.

16. itsucks

A thoused phony fanboys cry because they now can’t use this shit series as cannon fodder for their list wars for the pieceofshit3. A shitty game on the pspflop againts the ds is like listing a turds numrous shit toppings next to a cheesecake.

17. Detale

I think the only word I understood in that little rant was “cheesecake”.

18. Kerplunk

People complain when PSP doesn’t have games they want to play
    People complain when games they want to play are on PSP

People complain

19. Psychotext

PSP has plenty of games I’d want to play… I’d still rather pretty much every single one of them in HD on a big screen with a decent controller though.

(That’s aside from the fact that VC2 has some gameplay limitations that VC1 didn’t have, entirely because of the platform restrictions)

20. kasasensei

This is so stupid………….

21. Blerk

My condolences, VC fans.

22. Kerplunk

(Retracted and edited)

Or you could just enjoy the game for what it is.

It’s odd that should anyone ever complain about another handheld platform’s game not being HD, small screen or hindered by limited controls that the response is that they’re silly to care about that peripheral stuff and should focus on the gameplay.

People’s principles about games seem to change when it comes down to which platform the game is on.

VC is a great game. Enjoy it for what it is, not for what it’s not.

23. Psychotext

You do realise you’re still not playing in HD if you do that right? In fact, I’d say it looks worse than it does on the PSP.

Bah, you edited. Anyway, if they didn’t want people to whine they shouldn’t have switched from the PS3 to the PSP. Had it been on the PSP to start with then I wouldn’t have said a thing. Besides, as I said, it’s not just about the screen or the controls… they had to limit the actual gameplay to make it run on the machine.

24. Kerplunk

If you can only bear to play a strategy game if it’s presented in HD then I think you’re kind of missing the point about games in general.

I guess that means you must find every single handheld and Wii game intolerable. ;)

I don’t mind people whining. They’ll do it anyway. Which is fine because it entitles me to comment on the fuzzy logic and selective principles they base their whining on.

25. Psychotext

I struggle to play any game on the Wii, yes. Also, if they were to take Fallout (for instance) and downgrade it to run on the DS… yeah, I’d find that pretty much intolerable.

It’s all irrelevant though. Thanks to piss poor PSP game sales in the West it’s unlikely that they’ll bother to localise this one.

26. Kerplunk

Excellent! You’ve introduced a new (speculative) complaint into the mix.

People complain when games are released
    People complain when games aren’t released

People complain

Go to @18

27. StolenGlory

I would much rather have Valkyria Chronicles 3 on PSP, than no Valkyria Chronicles 3 at all.

28. Psychotext

It’s not a complaint 26, just a reason why the argument may end up as rather pointless.

29. AHA-Lambda

hmm kinda sucky for VC fans i guess

30. Marcus Gv

I dont understand why they don’t just port it to port it to the PSN. Good work Sega for giving me another reason not to buy one of your games.

31. The Hindle

Well fuck you Sega.

32. zoopdeloop

Was state of the obvious they were going to release it on the Psp.The 1st had mediocre sales (surely SEGA wasn’t pleased)hence the 2nd on the Psp where the sales were even worse but then again they put less money time and effort on it.Kind of obvious were the 3rd was heading to…

33. 2plus2equals5

I can’t stand this ipocricy anymore! Where were you (generic you referred to all the people who wants vc on ps3) when vc1 was released? If you read some sites you’ll see much more negative comments on vc3(and vc2) on psp than copies of vc1!
    Buy vc1 and sega will develop a new vc for PS3!

34. Psychotext

Importing the game, then buying all of the DLC (yes, even the shit one) in the hope that Sega would sell enough to warrant a sequel… for the PS3.

35. AHA-Lambda

@34 – all you do is vindicate their decision to put the franchise on psp

36. Psychotext

Not sure I’m following the logic behind that one.

37. AHA-Lambda

@36 – if a psp game sells well that means they’ll make more psp games, no?

clearly VC1 didnt do aswell as hoped on ps3 thus the shift to handhelds where financial risk is lower. Success on psp will not necessarily mean a transition back up to HD, much more likely for them to stick there =/

38. Psychotext

I don’t think you understood what my response was. 2+2 asked where I was when VC1 was released, I replied that I was buying VC1, and all the DLC.

I assume you thought I meant buying VC2?

39. No_PUDding