EA shows off Shadows of the Damned at TGS showcase – first trailer and screens inside

Wednesday, 15th September 2010 15:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

damned

Following its reveal in Famitsu this morning, EA’s finally formally unveiled Shadows of the Damned, the long anticipated horror collaboration from EA Partners, Goichi Suda’s Grasshopper Manufacture and Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

Get the trailer shown at EA’s Tokyo Showcase below as well as the first screenshots.

Executive producer Suda 51, audio designer Akira Yamaoka and creative producer Shinji Mikami took to the stage to unveil the game for the first time, where Suda said he had been looking to work with Mikami “for a long time”.

He added that EA Partners was picked as publisher because it was “absolutely capable” of bringing the game to a wider audience.

“The reason why we chose EA as our publisher, was because they were absolutely capable of bringing our game to a bigger, global audience, and they showed a great interest and passion for this game,” said Suda.

“It’s one of the greatest games I’ve ever worked on in my lifetime.”

The game sees main character Garcia on a trip to hell to save his true love Paula.

Mikami said it was a “phychological action thriller,” and added it had a “punk-rock style”. Even though it is a horror title, Mikami added it will have its light moments.

The game is meant to be seen as “intense”, no matter what amount of light moments, with Suda calling it the best game he’s ever worked on.

Yamaoka said with Damned, he’s enjoying every moment’s he’s working with it.

Video starts with Garcia on a bike outside what appears to be the entrance of Hell, with segements of the over the shoulder gameplay that was mentioned in Famitsu, as well as bits with him and lover Paula.

Soon after the showing, EA press released the reveal. Obviously, EA Partners boss David DeMartini is quite the happy chap.

“We are honored to be working with Suda-san and Mikami-san and all of the wonderfully creative minds at Grasshopper. This is one of the most daring and innovative projects in the EA Partners program ,” said DeMartini.

The game launches next summer for PS3 and 360. Trailer’s below the screens.

1. Blerk

So it’s Dante’s Inferno mixed with Brutal Legend, then?

2. Erthazus

Looks like shit seriously. I hardly can call this Current generation…

and looks like a typical shooter with Japanese type of monsters. Kill em all!

WHERE IS BATTLEFIELD:BC2 VIETNAM? I think they completely cancelled that game, because it’s like they forgot to show it.

3. Blerk

Wow, that looks garbage! :-(

4. Hunam

It kinda did.

The music was good though.

5. Erthazus

@4 Music was awesome, but the game……

6. Blerk

Yeah, that was probably the best bit. Not as good as the Silent Hill soundtracks, though.

It looked…. nasty. Like an upscaled PS2 game. And kind of ridiculous to boot.

Balls! I was hoping for something top-notch. I’m really cross now.

7. StolenGlory

I see folks on other forums already comparing this to Itagaki’s Devil’s Third, and whilst the latter isn’t exactly an AAA title in the making, it sure as hell shits all over this tripe.

8. mington

looks like Shadowman on the N64 :P

9. mington

CONCEPT ART

10. Blerk

Even the concept art’s crap! Not even robot stallions (second concept art picture?) can save this one.

11. mington

Don’t get my hopes up ;)

Picture one looks like a nasty from Res 4, and hugely cliched nasty to boot, it has a iron maiden cage thing around it’s head and 100 belts with buckles on its body, yawn

Whats his story i wonder…..Hey i’m criminal insane and i was tortured to death in an asylum, now i live in hell and i’ve turned into this bondage demon…..AND I’M GOING TO ATTACK YOU NOW, yawn

I don’t know why i’m dissing it (peer pressure) i’ll probably love it.

12. Psychotext

Meh

13. AHA-Lambda

well that looked crap :|

so disappoint, apart from looking like a re4 inspired shooter theres not much of a mikami looking influence :(

PS: just watched the new alice trailer and it looks SOOO much better than this tripe! I blame you suda and EA >:(

mikami can do no wrong tho :D

14. David Sarkisjan

doesn’t look scary at all …

15. DoubleM

Famitsu’s score will be 10/9/10/10. IGN’s going to be 5 and Gamespot reviewer will leave it with 4.5

16. Lord Gremlin

Looks like garbage. But then again – it’s Mikami. One can expect anything from this man.

17. Hunam

The over the shoulder bit looked woeful. Rather it be DMC but with a focus on guns.

18. Gekidami

I’m not seeing alot of “horror” in that trailer…

19. Moonwalker1982

Damn, i was really hoping this would be something scary as hell, but right now it sure doesn’t seem like it. But lets not jump to any conclusions, this might turn out great.

This was during the press conference, right? I think its normal that they didn’t show BF: Vietnam, since its a DLC. But i do hope to see footage of it.

20. absolutezero

“When’s someone going to do a horror game this generation that’s actually scary and isn’t just about dismembering hundreds of mutated beasties?”

Its called Amnesia. Also Siren Blood Curse. Also Project Zero 4.

Actually maybe you need to be more specific and say something like :

“When’s someone going to do a horror game on my 360 that’s actually scary and isn’t just about dismembering hundreds of mutated beasties?”

and that would be never.

21. Blerk

I don’t have the kit for Amnesia otherwise I’d be giving that a whirl.

I’ll let you have Siren although I don’t like the series. Project Zero 4 was shit though, you should’ve replaced it with Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. :-)

Dead Space has come closest to the kind of atmosphere I want in my horror game. I guess we’ll have to hope Silent Hill 8 isn’t complete crap again now. A zillion curses on Nintendo for ruining Project Zero!

22. DaMan

that was rather decent in fact, I liked the teaser. with Mikami Shinji on board you can expect top notch and deep enough gameplay too.

23. absolutezero

I like PZ4 D: Takes awhile to get used to and its a bit too different for the sake of being different but its still entertaining.

I would’nt really call Shattered Memories a horror game, it firmly in the thriller camp for me. Its still good its just not what im looking for in a game.

Amnesia is a really scable game, it’ll work quite well on any old piece of shit. Give the demo a try on whatever your using right now. Unless its a netbook or something, it even works on macs.

24. Blerk

My PC’s six years old. It’ll barely run Windows. :-D

Alan Wake could’ve done it if it’d been a bit deeper – it had some very decent atmosphere. But even that turned out to be just a third-person shooter in horror clothing.

25. xino

:/ another generic shooter!

Never Dead has a better concept gameplay!
    you die, you don’t die, you have to reassemble your body while shooting!

this is another generic targeted at the west.

26. DaMan

it looks like a game in the vein of Capcom’s older projects, like RE4. couldn’t care less if I will get scared or not, I like their artsyle and it’s practically guaranteed to be a solid gameplay experience. I can’t see how anyone can judge it any deeper atm, it was a mere teaser.

27. Stephany Nunneley

Added the first screenshots.

28. Lord Gremlin

@absolutezero – true, “Amnesia. Also Siren Blood Curse. Also Project Zero 4″ – real horror games.

The point is, in a horror game you can’t reliably fight back. You are a victim. The moment you’re given a chance to fight back and win horror stops.

29. The_Red

Loved the gore but the game feels rather amateurish and SCREAMS Unreal Engine 3 (Like Damnation did) which is not good for a game from such experienced devs (Unless its a really early footage and the game is slated for 2012 or later).

30. Hunam

Silent Hill 2 gives you tons of ways to fight back and is still scary as fuck.

31. Robo_1

95 percent, unconvinced. Looks generic and bleugh.

32. DuckOfDestiny

Posted this on another page but guess it is more relevant here-

Holy fuck, an awesome fucking metal track from Akira Yamaoka. I’m looking more forward to the fucking soundtrack than the actual game.

Also the game looks like it’s going for an Evil dead/From dusk till dawn B movie type feel, which is fucking fine with me.

33. Phoenixblight

QFT

I was talking trash before when I read the concept but now that I can actually see it and with Akira doing the soundtrack. Insta-buy for me.

34. osric90

It’s a good collaboratino but I’m no that excited…let’s hope with time this gets good.

35. Kuwabara

why cant they make a game like resident evil 1!!

36. frostquake

Is this another Latino RE??