Rare: Kinect works in small lounges

Saturday, 4th September 2010 18:58 GMT By Joe Anderson

kinect

Rare has said Kinect does work in small lounges, despite claims you need to be at least six feet away from the screen for proper operation.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Rare senior engineer Nick Burton said such claims had been blown out of proportion, adding people with a smaller living space needn’t worry.

“The camera configures itself, basically, when you set it up. Now, obviously, if you’ve only got that much space [makes a small space between his hands] between your TV there’s just not enough space for you to physically fit in the frame of the camera so you need to stand back a little bit.

“But it’s not like, ‘Hey, look at me over here,’ and you’re in a massive living room. We live in England.”

Kinect launches in the UK on November 10.

1. onlineatron

According to the Giantbomb guys, they had to be standing around 14ft away for it to work.

I don’t know if this is because of the game (Sonic Freeriders) or the camera itself.

That doesn’t seem like ‘small lounge’ size to me.

2. Gekidami

Nope, i wouldnt call a living room with about 4 meters of free space between the TV and where the people can stand “small”.

3. Paavi

That’s just bollocks. We played it last wednesday and the distance was something like 2-3 meters. It depends on the amount of players.

4. NiceFellow

I’m sure he’s right… for certain games. But for the very same reasons, a game with two players that requires the full body to be in the frame is going to need a fair bit of space.

I’m also thinking of the video where the two models were too close together giving Kinect some issues as well.

Anyway, while interested in Kinect I’m going to let in launch and then let the dust settle to see what the verdict really is on how well it performs in smaller spaces (and indeed in general).

5. Mauller

It depends on the game. From personal experience. 6 feet + really is necessary sadly.

6. KAP

If someone like Bungie came out and said Kinect doesnt work unless you stand on one leg people will still buy this crap, A £129.99 Eyetoy…. Microsoft are cruel Lol

7. Michael O’Connor

When I tried out Dance Central at E3, the Kinest sat around mid-drift height and was barely a couch’s distance away from me. I’m 5’10″, and I managed to comfortable fit in the camera’s scope.

Unless you live in an attic, you’re not going to have any problems.

8. onlineatron

Gameinformer Bioshock Infinite covers: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/09/04/October9981-Cover9981-Revealed9918.aspx

9. LePlatypus

I’ve been using Kinect for about a week now and it recognises me from about 3 feet away.

10. DrDamn

@LePlatypus
    Surely it can’t do full body tracking from that distance though – unless it’s got a seriously wide angle lens on it?

11. Mauller

It still depends on the game. I’ve been having no problems with Joyride in my living room at 6 feet and closer, but when I try to play Kinect Sports at 6 feet, it doesn’t see me or work properly at all, I have to move my sofa and stand closer to 7 feet. I’m 5’7″ and I have it about 2′ off the ground and no obstructions. The camera sees me when I do set up, but the game doesn’t unless I stand farther back.

12. LePlatypus

@10 the full body tracking works ok. There are times when I have to open up the Kinect tuner to make sure it’s tracking me but other than that it’s fine from that distance although Kinect Sports does not consider it the best distance for the ‘best experience’ but hey that’s my room it’s not that big :P