EA cancels MMA release in Denmark due to energy drink law

Saturday, 28th August 2010 21:37 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

mma

Looks like Denmark will be missing out on the release of EA’s MMA due to the game featuring marketing for energy drinks.

Apparently, Scandinavian law prohibits the marketing of energy drinks, therefore, EA has decided that instead of changing the fighter shorts and environments in the game depicting the offending material – it just won’t release the game over there.

“We are adhering to laws in Denmark that restrict the use of energy drink product placement in-game,” reads a statement from EA, “and therefore are not shipping EA Sports MMA in that region.

“Our game authentically recreates the sport of MMA in every facet, including energy drink in-game sponsorships on fighter shorts, gear, and in fight venues.”

Hooray for authenticity then, we reckon.

MMA is slated for release in October on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Via CVG.

1. The_Deleted

Plus, it will be a huge waste of time and money to fuck about for one EU region.

2. chronoss2

I live in Denmark and I don’t care about this game :) if it was God of War i’ll change my living location :D

3. albo88

some times i thing muslims and middle east peoples are close mind but looks like even this dumb ass Europeans looks to be the same trash so whats next

4. chronoss2

5. rikkelise

@3: apparently the next is people like you.

‘Authenticity’ ha – read ingame commercials and sponsor money.

6. CptKurk

Not to sound too pedantic, but there is no such thing as “Scandinavian law”, so this case applies to Danish legislation only.

If it were up to me, however, I would not only ban “energy drink” ads altogether, but ban the very practice of calling “energy drinks” just that. They contain just as much or as little energy as your average lemonade. By that logic, you could call any beverage that contains energy “energy drink.”

Okay, I guess I got a bit pedantic after all.

7. Cee

Quote chronoss2

“@3 : shut your mouth stupid you.. open your mind and look outside the trash can you are living in, you will maybe have a chance to understand. If your parents didn’t teach you what respect means, I invite you to seek the meaning in a dictionnary.”

@4 Don’t spout your self righteous speel to somebody whilst telling that “someone” to look in a dictionary…… when you can’t even spell it

8. rikkelise

@7: So he spelt dictionary with an extra ‘n’, so what. Geez. Its not like he told the other guy to spell something right.

9. freedoms_stain

I wonder if this has anything to do with the sudden deaths with the suspected link to Red Bull in Scandinavia.

10. DSB

Product placement has gotten really out of hand in sports games. I got pretty tired of looking at it in Fight Night 3. Feeling like you’re fighting inside a giant commercial isn’t very good for immersion.

@7 I think you mean spiel.

Doesn’t help to use made up words when you’re trying to scold someone for mistyping dictionary.

Not that you could actually use spiel in that sentence. I invite you to seek the meaning in a “dictionnary”.