Gaikai takes shot at OnLive, beta servers now live in Italy, Japan

Thursday, 26th August 2010 09:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gaikai

Gaikai’s closed beta servers are now live in Italy and Japan, according to the service’s creator, Dave Perry.

Perry also took a dig at cloud gaming rival OnLive in a tweet.

Ahead of schedule, the Gaikai servers just came online in Japan, Spain and Italy. We have 5X more data center locations than Onlive already.”

Currently in a closed beta, Gaikai launches next year.

1. Crysis

cloud gaming is near impossible in Australia, while i do reach 6Mbps, our providers limit us with ‘quota’, for example, i’m on an monthly broadband plan with 50gb of quota (costs $129 but it’s combined with the house phone with unlimited calls), when i exceed this quota, i get limited to 256Kbps, but it’s unlimited usage at this speed with no excess charges, others may pay 15cents per mb with their excess usage, which is a whopping $150 per gb, & a gb is just under 6 downloaded 20min tv shows worth, not to mention we have fuck all servers down here & i doubt cloud servers will feel obliged any time to get some down here either, so if the future is going to come Down Under, things are going to really have to change, but that’s between our providers & our government…

2. freedoms_stain

@1, broadband used to be like that here too, quotas and charges for excess usage, but ultimately competition squeezes that out of the market in favour of unlimited packages.

The trade off is that the network is generally busier and you can suffer from really poor speeds at peak hours. This can result in ISPs operating throttling policies whereby lines with certain types of traffic (streaming video mostly) have their bandwidth reduced so that the rest of the network can access Facebook smoothly.

Ultimately most of the world isn’t ready for cloud gaming simply because most ISPs over-subscribe their capacity and don’t upgrade their networks often enough or fast enough.

3. OlderGamer

I would use Onlive if their price points where better.

The real hinerance in Cloud, for what I have seen is not, the service itself.

Onlive works. And works good, even peak. Once in a blue moon a game will stutter. I have the same hicup with PC/Console online too, once in awhile. Nothing drastic or altering.

The problem is that the price points/biz model that Onlive uses is too high. A 25usd flat fee each month for unlimited useage, and unrestricted accsess to every game in the service would do the trick. But asking me to “buy” game time to play each game. And having that accsess expire after 2 years…. not going to work.

I understand Onlive to be exploring different biz models and leaning towards a flat rate. Time will tell to see what they come up with.

But most knocks on these types of services seem to aimed at the “can they do it” puzzle. In the case of Onlive the answer is yes. It works. The games stream over the net, full HD, all graphics on, w/o play effecting lag.

I just have standard Road Runner. No enchanced services or speed boosters. But I understand that not everyone will have even that level of ISP. So for them, Cloud will be a joke and a pipe dream. Something overly ambitious. Something not logical or feesable.

But the problem is NOT with the service or the Cloud gaming. It is with their very own ISP.

4. naffgeek

@1 I live just outside Derby in the UK and would kill for 256kbps!!! frickin countryside!!

5. OlderGamer

Guess I sound a tad arogant to a few of you. I have a 10meg/sec connect. For a few bucks more I could have a 15meg one if I wanted to get the turbo boost thingie. I also don’t have download or ussage caps.

If your speeds are that bad it is no wonder the PS brands do so well over there. Because MS has been pushing online online online for generations now. PS2 wasn’t much for online, and to be honest PS3 is lagging behind xb360 in the same dept. But if your isps are that bad you not only can’t tell the difference between PSN and LIVE, your likly to not care.

I forget all of that from time to time.

For you folks Cloud gaming is not going to be a viable option.