Sony actively “exploring” Project Ten Dollar-style solution for first-party games

Tuesday, 24th August 2010 07:23 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ps362

Look, used game market, it’s not you; it’s the entire videogame industry.

It’s EA, THQ, and now Sony. So yeah, you might want to go ahead and start packing your things. Door’s that-a-way.

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, SCEE president Andrew House revealed that Sony’s looking to compose its own variation on the theme EA set into motion, which requires buyers of used games to pay an extra fee in order to unlock a game’s online features.

“On the principle of making online portions of the game available or unlocked from the disc-based release for a fee, we’re broadly supportive of that,” House said.”And we’re exploring actively the same option for our own content.”

But oh no! When big corporations sniff money, the fly into a shark-like blood-frenzy, right? Surely free PSN online multiplayer as we know it is doomed! Is what we’d say if House didn’t immediately follow up with this little number:

“In terms of just a charge for basic online play, that’s something that we have to talk about a lot more and we struggle with a little bit because we feel very vindicated and base a lot of the success of PSN today – a 70 per cent connection rate across consoles – on the fact that we’ve removed that major initial barrier to entry.”

However, House also admitted that PSN Plus’ year-long subscriptions have made for the best kind of success story – the pocket-lining kind – and so, he concluded that breaking outside his company’s business model box again certainly couldn’t hurt.

More through the link.

1. frostquake

OMG..REALLY…Before Long a game really won’t cost you $65.00! You will have a $10.00 EA Fee…You will have a $10.00 Sony Insertion Fee…The Hard Drive MFG will have a $10.00 Installation Fee..along with a $10.00 Un-Installation Fee.

FEE’s….FEE’s…..FEE’s….EVERYWHERE…The weight of these FEE’s will eventually collapse the Gaming Industry..GREED GREED GREED!!!

Hey I am all for FEE’s On EVERYTHING as long as you give me FREAKING RAISES to match FEE’s. When Living in the USA for 2009-2010 goes up 32% and Raises are only 5% Something is going to Fall apart..PPL will have to stop paying on some bills to pay others and so forth.
    Example of my Bills this year so far:
    Direct TV Bill went up: 7%
    Internet Bill went up: 10%
    Gas for Car went up: 40%
    Electric Bill went up: 12%
    Water Bill went up: 28%
    Interest Rate on Some went up: 10-14%
    Credit Cards, before
    new Law
    Grocery weekly Bill went up: 50%
    Mortgage Bill went down: -1%…only good News, but no help!

Raises Me and My Wife Got this Year:

Me, Husband: None…Salaries are Locked in to last years
    Rate…NO ONE GOT A RAISE

Wife…………….5% Raise over Last Year with No Bonuses
    No Merritt Raises, Nothing..company on
    Hiring Freeze. Wife is Now doing the
    Job of 2 People, because One quit, she
    is not getting compensated. Oh and Her
    Director and the Top Boss, both Quit!

So tell me…Why does anyone with a Kindergarten degree in Economics think they can keep imposing fee’s on people. Go ahead Sony..Keep Pushing and your Little Black Box will sit in the closet with NO MORE ANYTHING bought for it!!

REALLY BIG SIGH :(

2. clynchehaun

Be curious to see if the price of used games goes down somewhat, as now the $55 second hand title would cost more that the $60 if you wanted it online. Also I think they should have more full games on PSN, I’m very close to buying Red Faction online and once I do of course I can’t trade it in for the $5 EB would give me.

3. Blerk

If more people start doing this then I’ll be interested to see if online gaming numbers start to go down rather than used sales.

4. The_Deleted

Think Frostquake is getting carried away. They’re not charging for everything, just trying to make some money back from the underhanded Used Game Market.
    Don’t get me wrong, a great deal of my collection was used before getting a job, but I wouldn’t begrudge paying the £5-£7 for an online pass if it were worth it and it were reflected in the Pre-Owned price.
    However, a lot of games don’t really hold up online, so you also get the option of seeing if anyone still plays before having to pay out again.

5. Freek

So first you have to update the firmware, then enter the serial number, then instal the game, then patch the game…So after about an hour and a half of fildling with updates and serial numbers, you get to play the game.

Uuhh, a little motion controller isn’t gonna help you break into the casual market if the user experience keeps being so crap.

6. Gekidami

^ You forgot the part where you have to make up aload of shit, oh wait, you didnt.

7. Patrick Garratt

@1 – :(

8. Freek

No that’s exactly how it went when I bought Mod Nation Racers, no exaduration what so ever.

Update PS3 firmware
    Instal game
    Patch Game

Each step takes about 15 to 30 minutes.

The only new thing is the serial number, if Sony wants to do an EA project 10 dollar style buy new insentive, that’s what you have to do.

9. Gekidami

No its not, you’re being ridiculous and using one example as a sweeping generalisation.

10. Freek

It’s par for the course in terms of modern console gaming. Especially on the PS3. It has silly long firmware instales, it often needs instals to make load times during the game faster. As a hardcore gamer, we accept that.
    A more casual player? Probably not.

11. Crysis

this doesn’t change anything to me, but doing may cause some retailers to lower the preowned price which kind of defeats this purpose

12. Gekidami

Again, it isnt “par for the course”, in the last 3 months i’ve brought about 6 PS3 games (not counting digital ones), want to know how many times i’d had to do your ridiculous list of things before i could play one for the first time which, according to you is something you HAVE to do for every game (bar entering a serial number)? Zero.

13. Freek

I geuse you’ve just been lucky, my exeperience has been vastly different. And it wasn’t even Call of Duty: Ultimate Shoot you in the face edition. It was Mod Nation Racers, the family game. But to me, that’s fine, that’s gaming.
    My point being: they keep throwing up more barriers to entry, like now: a used game deterance scheme. It doesn’t help you to reach a broader audiance.

14. KrazyKraut

@1 110% agreed

15. onlineatron

I’m not worried about this affecting the used market, I never buy from it as stores tend to rip you off; I am however concerned about the rental market.

I love using LoveFilm to check out games I can’t afford to buy, and if it comes to the point where I can only play half the game via rental i’ll be very annoyed.

16. AHA-Lambda

@15 – same. i use lovefilm for games alot

17. freedoms_stain

I also use lovefilm for games, but I rarely bother with the multiplayer on rentals tbh.

18. DrDamn

A slightly different view for you to consider.

1994 – major new games cost £40-£50
    2010 – major new games cost £40-£50

Even with 2.5% inflation per year games would be costing £75. Yes the industry is bigger now, but as gamers we have to smell the coffee a little. We demand more and more from games but we don’t expect to pay more?

“GREED GREED GREED!!!”

Well quite. :)

19. Hybridpsycho

I’m happy with the current prices we are paying for our games/update/maintenance etc.

I’m surprised that Sony has kept their “Free-Online-Play” attitude for such a long time, especially since it wasn’t THAT long (less than a year) since they actually started gaining money on the PS3 and not losing.

One could say I’m a Fanboy, but I’d prefer using the word supporter more. I want to support Sony in the ways I can, I’m buying quite alot of games and using PSN+ even though I ain’t got that much money to move around with as a student.
    I think it’s worth it.

Also, Frostquake…you only complained on what the government charges you. What you said has nothing with the game-industry to do.

20. freedoms_stain

@18, the distrubution of what constitutes that £40-50 has pretty drastically altered.

It costs far less to manufacture a disc today than a cartridge in 1994 for one thing (roughly 10x less).

Also, now that the gaming has a much (much much much) wider audience vastly more games are sold and the price per unit can remain constant while still resulting in beasting profits.

21. DrDamn

1994 was the release period of the PS1/Saturn – Ok 1995 for the UK – so the cartridge argument goes out the window a bit doesn’t it? I remember cartridge games at £60-£70 if you really want to include them. I acknowledge the wider audience, but the cost to make a game has also gone up a massive amount too.

I think you’ll also find very few companies currently making “beasting” profits.

22. theevilaires

MotherF**** C***Sucker I told you. I told all of you! Fuck you Sony if you think you’re gonna get away with this. I’ll pay for LIVE before I go with this plan. Greedy bastards!

23. Freek

People seem to forget that this only aplies to USED games. A brand new game comes with a code so you get the content for free. You only have to pay extra if you buy second hand.

24. theevilaires

Trust me Freek this 10 dollar thing is the gate way drug to more stronger abuse of other things to come next gen. Which is two years away mind you. You know just like I do PSN is going full out sub next gen for online play and the games will be $70 a pop. People have kids to put in college and private school here.

I don’t have fucking time paying money to Kaz Hirai’s stupid ego because he can’t pay for his trips to the moon. First its E.A.,now SONY,then Acti,Ubi,and the ass rapers of all M$. They’re going to destroy this medium like hollywood does with their stupid over priced pop corn,candy,and bottle water. Its all headed down hill my friend. This is the beginning of the end. Mark my words.

25. Goliath

It’s not just used-games, it’s rentals as well. It rented Madden 11 from Gamefly but without the code that comes with the new copy, you can only access online functionability for a 7 day trial period. I would have to buy the game to access these features beyond that. I sent it back. Fuck EA!

26. Crysis

The only way this effects me is if i’m not sure about a game & want to rent it, & if online is a major part about the game, maybe a 7day trial per account? but i’d rather pay for a new game, so other than the renting thing, i could not care less…

27. Bikki

JESUS CHRIST

28. frostquake

This is truly the gateway drug to many other fee’s. Telling yourself it doesn’t affect you because you don’t buy used, your kidding yourself. This Fee thing will crossover into the New market in some form and disguise, I promise you it will.

This is kind of like Censorship…Censor some things and before long they will be Censoring everything..You have to fight for the RIGHTS of ALL!!! Not just the things that you feel affect you…So fight for the Rights of ALL!!

29. OlderGamer

When PS3 launched and PSN was free I had a smile and laugh.

Nothing can be free.

If company A charges for a service, and company B provides that same/similar service for free. Someone is going to see that as lost revenue.

It would have been better for nearly everyone if Sony had simply had a XB LIVE style flat yearly/monthly fee structure.

But I think, in therory this is about more then just a simple online MP fee.

I’d like to see the FCC get some sort of structure set up where pubs earn 50% off of used game sales. It would solve everyones problem except Gamestop/Game etc. And with the way their profit go up each and every year, screw em.

By the way Frost, I am in the same boat. I can’t afford half of what I used to.