Microsoft: Kinect to see Live-like evolution “over the length of the entire Xbox platform”

Tuesday, 24th August 2010 12:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

kinectsports

Microsoft has told VG247 that Kinect will see a Live-like evolution “over the length of the entire Xbox platform,” and could be applied across multiple “mediums”.

“Different mediums”

Speaking in Germany last week, Kinect creative chief Kudo Tsunoda said Microsoft’s commitment to motion gaming was here to stay when asked if we’re likely to see Kinect functionality built into any future hardware.

“When you think about when Xbox Live first launched, it’s a [very] different experience than it is today. Live as a platform has evolved over time, with new technology and new features and new experiences, and that is something that has given it longevity over multiple types of consoles,” said the exec.

“I think that’s the same thing you’re going to see with Kinect, not just, ‘Hey, we have great stuff at launch,’ but you’ll see it evolve as a platform over time, see it as something that will extend not only through Xbox but could be applied through a lot of different mediums.”

Tsunoda explicitly said that motion gaming would be an Xbox feature for as long as the brand existed, calling both Kinect and Live “platform initiatives”.

“Xbox is really good at not just launching it and having that be it, but really develop new features and new experiences over the length of the entire Xbox platform,” he said.

“I think that, just as you see that with Xbox Live, that’s something you’re going to see with Kinect as well.”

Shake it like it’s for the camera

Microsoft’s commitment to Kinect is currently compounded whenever top brass speaks about the system on the record, with Xbox Europe boss Chris Lewis saying last week that its introduction will grant 360 life until 2015.

“Kinect really gives us, I think, a very genuine additional five years,” he said, speaking to BusinessWeek at gamescom.

“What Kinect does is broaden us out to users that we weren’t addressing in the past.”

Tsunoda also took time last week to deny Kinect has problems viewing seated players, telling us the system works with sitting, standing and “everything in between”.

Kinect is now confirmed to be launching at £130 and $150.

It hits the US on November 4, to be followed in Europe on November 10.

You can listen to Kudo speaking in the audio clip below.

1. Aimless

I’m not sure this counts as evolution.

2. get2sammyb

Do they mean growth in features they’d already promoted such as voice control and video chat — both of which have been removed from the product’s launch according to MCV this morning:

3. get2sammyb

@1 – Beaten.

4. Psychotext

Yup, it’s basically a way of saying that they’ve fucked up getting things in there for launch, and that they’ll have to patch them in later.

5. Aimless

To be fair I think their omission is just down to the Dashboard update landing a bit later than expected. Kinect could do with a bit of good press, though…

6. Suikoden Fan

thats piss poor, i would say i expect more from microsoft when launching things but they rushed this as they did the 360 with the damn rrod problem. microsoft getting on the market first, before or around sonys releases does not make you better, but it has shown you cut some worrying corners

7. get2sammyb

@5 – You’d have thought they’d have the Dashboard release ready day-and-date for Kinect launch. I mean, surely they have right?

It’s getting to the stage now where I’m curious why they’re not delaying this thing. It’s so far removed from what they initially touted it to be. I know that was just a concept video but it frightens me that people are anticipating this based on the E3 2009 stuff.

8. cookiejar

Off Topic: Kudo Tsunoda – is that his real name? Cuz he looks like a member of Goldie Lookin Chain.

9. Aimless

@7 Sure, but games companies regularly balls things up completely; at the start of this generation Sony unloaded clip after clip into its extremities.

At its heart I think the idea behind Kinect is a good one. The problem is the more I see of it the further my initial optimism is chipped away at; right now it looks like the hardware they’re using simply can’t deliver on the fundamentals.

10. Psychotext

@7: I’ve just been reading that the voice thing relates only to dashboard functionality rather than any games which planned on using the tech. Makes a bit more sense. Of course, the vid chat is still gone (temporarily at least).

11. No_PUDding

Since E3, everything seems to have gone downhill for Natal, in regards to it’s popular reception.

You’d also have thought that marketing campaigns would have started or both Move and Kinect by now.

12. get2sammyb

@11 – they need to start Move soon for sure. I hope they get behind it because I loved what I played of Sports Champions. I don’t think Move will do numbers anywhere near Kinect out of the gate, but I see plenty of longevity for the device, so I hope it sells well enough to warrant support.

13. freedoms_stain

If Sony want to hire me I’ve got the perfect marketing slogan for Scotland, Ireland and the North of England.

“Move Yer Arse!”

I’m picturing hot Asian chicks in hotpants and/or thongs as a visual accompaniment.

Thoughts?

Where’s my million quid?

14. Patrick Garratt

OK. Updated with the voice drop story.

15. Suikoden Fan

pat i suggest making the voice drop story a whole new article as thats a pretty big omission for kinect

16. Aimless

@15 Not necessarily. For all we know the update could land a week or less after launch. Not that I’m painting that as an ideal situation, but we don’t know the extent of the delay.

17. Suikoden Fan

@16 true but other websites are making it a whole new article and being how big an omission this is, it still should be given its own space imo. obviously its up to Pat though.

18. KAP

You got to love M$, i mean, they drop features on kinect yet theres nothing but positive from the commenters & the media… what a joke.

19. Patrick Garratt

I’m going to keep it in an easily editable place. Looks as though there’s a few creases to be ironed out yet – http://twitter.com/Michael_French/statuses/21996287290

20. DrDamn

Gotta say this release is all going a bit Sony. Very unlike MS who are normally on top of this stuff.

21. Patrick Garratt

Microsoft just told me that voice will be included at launch. We’re getting a statement in about 20 minutes.

22. Michael O’Connor

In regard to MCV’s original post: This is what modern journalism has been reduced to. Spur-of-the-moment jumping on every mildly controversial story without any research or study into the facts before they post it.

I imagine @18 and many others are eating their words right about now.

23. theevilaires

WTF its basically an eyetoy now. Kudo should be fired again. Can this guy get anything right. He needs to take off those damn shades and wake up for real, but probably doesn’t want people to see the effects of his after he does a few lines off his coffee table.

What a F**** disaster for M$.

24. Michael O’Connor

@23 Except it’s not even true.

25. Aimless

If people will insist on using “M$” could you please position it as close to the start of your comment as possible? It saves me from reading any further.

26. Patrick Garratt

I’ve reverted the story back to its original state. The Microsoft statement on the voice control matter’s here: http://www.vg247.com/2010/08/24/microsoft-to-deny-kinect-voice-control-launch-omission/

27. ww3pl

SOooo, instead of punching red balls, we’ll get to punch balls which contain all the colors from the rainbow.

That’s what i call evolution!

28. OlderGamer

Kinect will do about as well as Gameroom.

Seems to me that right now MS could use some better focus.

I could be totaly wrong. But everytime we see this thing it either raises unanswered questions or just plan looks bad.

That being said, my wife was all excited about it.

Then I told her about the price tag.

Needless to say she has forgoten about it pretty fast.