House: “It would be absolutely great” to pass 360 globally

Wednesday, 18th August 2010 20:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3slim3

SCEE president, CEO and CFO of SCEE, has told VG247 it would be “absolutely great” if PS3 were to pass Xbox 360 in sales globally.

Speaking with Patrick Garratt at gamescom following Sony’s presentation yesterday, House said there is no massive graph with lines representing PS3 or Xbox 360 racing across it at Sony HQ in Europe, and if there is one anywhere, he has no idea it exists.

Apparently, while it’s important for Sony to succeed and best its rivals, the company instead wants to maintain focus on the consumer, and offering its products at a great value, instead of constantly focusing on the numbers.

“At the risk of sounding parochial, I think my focus since coming on board is doing the best we can for European consumers, and we’re seeing significant advances here versus both of our competitors,” said House. “I guess that’s sort of the primary area of focus. But if I were to forced to say it, well, yes, it would be absolutely great for that to happen.”

As far as PS3 sales and the surge in figures post the Slim’s release are concerned, House and Sony are pleased with its performance, and feel between it and the new hardware SKUs, the console will surpass company projections once more.

“I think we took up our projections last year when we began to see the initial impact on sales and I think the next interesting measurement point for us, is as we move post gamescom into an almost like-for-like value proposition in terms of pricing with the hard drive enhancements and then seeing how the market is,” he said.

“My sense right now is we’re going to be ahead of plan, even beyond projections for this year. I have such a strong sense of momentum and thanks to the feedback I’m getting from my territory managers and from retail, I think what is really encouraging is my colleges in the US are really bullish for their numbers this year.

“It is always a bit dangerous, perhaps, to talk about tipping points, but I think we reached a tipping point when we reached the 299 price point. That was just a significant event.”

Our full interview with Andrew House will be up shortly.

1. Crysis

if chasing numbers isn’t so important, WHY IS IT THE FIRST THING THEY GO TO AT PRESS CONFERENCES!

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well, he never said chasing numbers. Note it’s not in quotations. The full interview will be up in a second, and you will get the idea from it, he was more concerned with value, and customer experience than anything else. I changed it to “focusing” instead of “chasing”. Also, just for reference, House never has that frat boy mentality when doing an interview. He is soft spoken, tends to focus on what the company is bringing to the consumer, etc.

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

It might be possible, late 2010 and 2011 games really look awesome. Xbox seems to have only a small handful of decent games. Something tells me the Move will bean 2-1 in numbers over Xbox Kinect, and once people do realize Kinect is only for family BS games , PS3 will win.

4. theevilaires

F*** #s talk about firmware upgrades. Ask him why won’t SONY just add features to the PS3 that their consumers are screaming for.

Thats whats most important IMO. They have the games, hell 1st party alone is better than anything E.A. Ubi and Activison does. I wanna see custom soundtracks across the board dammit. I wanna see a new XMB interface. Where are the screen savers?, rechargeable usb ports while the PS3 is in stand by mode?, cross game chat!?

Ask those questions Garratt! If I had the chance to interview them I would make them sweat because when they see me they would already know the questions I want to ask every time. Features sell consoles too SONY. Blu-ray isn’t enough these days especially when theres players out there now for $100.

5. Crysis

i don’t think these motion controls will bring many new comers, tends to be the exclusive games which sell the consoles, i guess the game itself is more important than the way you play it, though after watching the harry potter kinect demo, i lost the slight hope i had left for kinect & i hope that the Harry Potter game itself won’t be a corridor shooter or i have lost all hope in that too, but seeing KZ3 demoed with move, though short, has gained me some faith with Move

6. Razor

$199 is the tipping point and he knows it.

7. SlayerGT

GT5 is gonna help out =)

8. KAP

@4 so true. I agree with everything you just said m8. Pussyfooting around will only get you so far

9. LOLshock94

they will one day but with the shit sony is paying they wont even make a profit

10. NoxNoctisUmbra

@9 if you fallow this website, they are already making huge profits from consoles.

11. G1GAHURTZ

Hot!

12. LOLshock94

yeah but all the deals they are having with exclusives and tv channels and shit that cant be cheap

13. theevilaires

G1GA doesn’t show up more often anymore but when he does he sure makes it count :D very funny my friend!

Listen to me I don’t care how good GT5 or UC3 will be. That S*** won’t sell another 10 million consoles. Its price drop partnered with firmware update.

Lets all repeat this wonderful formula like we’re getting ready for a chemistry test.

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Price drop+Firmware updates = more sales!

Now go out there and ACE that test SONY!

14. Hunam

Firmware updates are the bane of my console gaming.

15. theevilaires

Having new cool features is a BANE for you? Holy S*** I would hate to see you go through something that really sucks then like getting a tooth pulled out. You might try to start a nuclear war or something.

Also note to SONY: Just redo the whole damn OS. Even if it takes hours to download and install just redo the damn thing period. Hire someone from America to do it also.

16. Hunam

I enjoy your ability to wilfully misinterpret peoples intentions.

I’m sick of turning my PS3 on and 50% of the time it having to sit and update for 25 minutes just to add some minor fucking fix. I just wanted to play for an hour before work, but nope, it doesn’t want that shit one bit. Plus game patches take far too long.

Everyone criticies the 360 for not having a dedicated HDD and using DVD, and yeah, the games would probably be improved if it was using a bigger disc format and had a hdd in every unit, but fuck, just being able to pop a disc in and get playing in 2 minutes is a god send.

17. spiderLAW

Im with TEA. While i love the simplicity of the XMB i think some intregrated flashy features would go a long way in helping them achieve more sales and success. They could keep a similar format to the XMB but update it to at least look like more than just a line of icons across your wallpaper.

18. spiderLAW

I have to update constantly on 360 too so it isnt just the PS3. Yes the PS3 does it slightly more often but so far i have encountered lots of updates, even on day 1 titles. When i bought Mass Effect, i had to update after 2 days of release and the same thing happened with Mass Effect 2. 1week after Gears2 came out i ran into an update. Same goes for L4D2 and Fable 2.
    They do get in the way but TEA didnt mean just the firmware for the game support. He meant firmware as in how the 360 went from the blades Omenu to the Xbox experience in a firmware update.

19. reask

X chat and ability to join friends and players met session in progress,
    That will do it for me as the rest of PSN is just fine for me.
    I like the new games you may like feature and also the last few things you have done thingymajig is great.

20. The_Deleted

@Evil (No.4)
    I too want my custom soundtracks back, but properly integrated into gameplay like they were with the GTA’s on the XBOX, not just background music.
    That said, I did hear that M$ had patented the custom soundtracks for the XBOX, so SONY can’t do it.

21. Mauller

I think he’s refering to the fact that pdates on 360 finish in a fraction of the time than they do on the PS3. I pop in a game, it disconnects me from xbox live, downloads the update and reconnects me all in about 10-15 seconds. When I update stuff on the PS3, it can take 10+ minutes. Especially if I haven’t turned on my PS3 in a while.

22. Aimless

My understanding is that the 360′s patching system is patented. Updates are capped at 2MB, that’s why they’re so quick to download.

I don’t know the specifics on the technical side, but PS3 updates are more akin to the traditional PC model.