Medal of Honor single-player debuted, al-Qaida-hunt included

Sunday, 15th August 2010 10:07 GMT By Joe Anderson

moh

Gamestrailers has got the first look at Medal of Honor single-player, giving details and footage of the shooter’s Campaign.

Greg Goodrich, executive producer at Danger Close Games, said the developer hopes to add more realism and authenticity to the FPS genre.

The single player Campaign is based in Afghanistan, the first section of which sees players entering a slum town to gain intel on al-Qaida forces.

Single-player missions shown off in the video include one named, “Dorothy’s a Bitch.”

MoH releases on October 15 in Europe for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Crysis

I’m more interested in this then i am in Black Ops, but i’m still not sold

2. Patrick Garratt

I’ll play both.

3. Erthazus

Interested, but nothing impressive yet.
    The multiplayer code is straight from the Battlefield:Bad company series and thats not cool at all. It works with their formula, but straight gun combat? Dunno.

Black Ops? I already know that there will be stupid campaign and multiplayer is not impressive at all. Same old shit with more perks and customization stuff. Don’t care about meta gameplay, i want just gameplay without these shit stuff.

So i’m waiting for the Battlefield 3! But they probably are going to show Battlefield Bad Company 2: Vietnam.
    Still, i want Battlefield 3, it’s in development since 2006 year. I’m just interested, whats up with that franchise.

4. Robo_1

Can’t fault the visual quality in this or Black Ops to be honest. Even though they tread very similar ground, the combat looks solid in both.

I’d have to be honest and say I’m not overly comfortable playing a game based on a war that’s currently in progress. After the fact it’s more of a retrospective, but to know real men and women are dying as I’m sat there playing a game which attempts to recreate their plight does make me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Having said that, is it any worse to enjoy a game of GTA, knowing that as you’re sat playing, people are being victimised by crime?

I suppose you can think to deeply about this stuff and the lines between reality for and as entertainment have long since blurred, but nonetheless, I’d be interested to hear if anyone else has an opinion on this?

5. Freek

The game is being made with the consent of and advice by the people who fought/are fighting that war. If there was anything insulting to that game they woulden’t be doing that.

6. DSB

I’m with Pat. Both look like a good play. I’m thinking I might wait with Medal of Honor, just so it doesn’t screw with my Black Ops levelling.

@4 If it’s any consolation, the game is purely fiction. In real warfare kids and panicked civilians tend to stray unwittingly into the lines of fire. You’ll never make stuff like that into a game.

It’s pretty annoying to hear all the bullshit about authenticity and realism though, when no special forces operator would ever attempt to use a knife for a silent kill, as there’s no such thing as a silent kill. And a teamleader would also not be patronizing all his highly trained peers by telling them to load up on the helicopter, as I’m pretty sure they were taught that during basic training. Not that you can actually hear yourself or anyone else in a chinook.

Personally I feel that soldiers are the bastard sons of any regime. If a powerplayer, foreign or domestic sees fit to shit on the floor, they’re the ones that have to sweep up the mess, with no right to complain. Low pay, lousy benefits, high personal toll – I think they deserve a game, and I think games aiming for realism should respect that plight.

7. Crysis

@5, yeh they’re recreating something that did not happen assisted by those who have experianced what has happened

8. Robo_1

@5 I didn’t know that Freek, so cheers for the heads up. I’m pleased they did go the route of seeking approval, not only does it give the game that extra touch of authenticity, but it does go some way to address my concerns.

@6 Yeah, good points all round. Seeing the game as an honour to the soldiers fighting the war is certainly a different way of looking at it, and yeah, most of the so called ‘realistic’ play is always going to be little more than a pseudo realistic approximation of what actually happens. A game has to be entertaining above all else.

I still think it’s a little eerie that an ongoing war is proving to be the inspiration for a game, but I suppose everyone’s milage will vary with that.

9. DSB

@8 I don’t disagree. Having you play as the taliban during multiplayer is not entirely dissimilar to having you play a nazi around World War 2. Completely different proportions, but same dilemma.

On the other hand I think the media are so inept at communicating the realities of war that I feel the more independent, non-sanitized coverage it gets, the better. It might not be accurate, but it could inspire people to look further.

Here in Denmark people were led to believe that our guys were building schools and handing out sweets, when they were actually defending themselves in bloody sieges and seeing combat every day. It wasn’t until the bodybags started rolling in that the politicians and the military came clean.

The first casualty of war is truth, I think games at least opens the door for “some” truth.

10. Crysis

not every single nazi or taliban soldier are necessarily evil, there are normally reasons as to why this happens & it’s normally narrowed down to a few sociopaths having too much power

11. DSB

@10 You’re right, but it doesn’t matter.

There might be a million reasons why you’re in the taliban or the 1940′s Wehrmacht, but the fact is that nobody is going to stop to hear your life story. Once you join the asshole army, you’re just another asshole.

No matter the reason, you’re still fighting for ideological organizations who have no justification in any culture, and which deserve to be wiped out.

12. Norsefire13

” I’ve seen this movie, Private! switch with me..”

LOL

i think he’s referring to “Saving Private Ryan”.

13. stretch215

This game felt like bfbc2 without any destruction, I think they were going for a cod feel but if people want that they’ll play cod.