SOE reveals working MMO title EverQuest Next at Fan Faire

Saturday, 7th August 2010 16:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

everquestnext

SOE has announced details – although scant – on its new MMO in development at its annual Fan Faire event in Las Vegas.

According to EQwire, who liveblogged the reveal, the MMO is currently titles EverQuest Next, but SOE said it’s a working name only.

The game will hearken back to EverQuest 1 but be more stylized and a re-imagining of the series instead of a direct progression of EQ1 and EQ2. It will, however, contain some familiar settings.

SOE said it is keeping some of the contents from both games, but changing others and it will contain more interesting and engaging combat and was designed from the ground up with PvP in mind.

The firm’s president, John Smedley, told panel attendees the team is focusing on pulling more from EQ1 than EQ2 as the developers are aware of the vast difference between the two. The storyline will also play out in a way that doesn’t include clicking through NPC dialog boxes, as the world should change around the player.

“We haven’t announced the game because it’s still early in development,” Smedley told the crowd. “We haven’t even decided on raid and group sizes.”

Sounds neat.

Massively has a couple in-game shots of it, which you should seriously check out if you’re an EverQuest fan.

1. Stephany Nunneley

Anyone here ever played EverQuest? I have been considering a trial. Wanna know if it’s worth it or not.

2. Erthazus

Is this true? you got to be kidding me.

@1 I have played. but you are interested in the second one or the first one?

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

The first everquest was just like WoW back in those days, very popular game, very groundbraking. Also at number 1, its worth it, wait till it comes out, buy out a 1 to 3 month card, and try it out.

4. Erthazus

This is the only MMO franchise that have potential to shake up Blizzard World Of Warcraft, but in on the other hand…

I see that they don’t care much. this is sad… Really sad. They can have a real beast right here.

5. Stephany Nunneley

I know people used to be addicted to it, thus the EverCracked documentary. I personally know someone who was once obsessed with it as well. I still may try it out just to see.

6. DeSpiritusBellum

@5 Oh man, I spent a festival in a camp that had Everquest players once – This was two years before WoW came out – And I just remember listening to stuff about swords with plus something, and bows with attributes, and thinking “Holy shit, these guys are a bunch of nerds”.

… Two years later I’m rolling an elemental shaman. Go figure.

7. Joe Anderson

@steph I used to play years ago but got so addicted I had to stop. All the days blended into one.

Is fantastic though.

8. Gekidami

How does it play? Like WoW?

9. OlderGamer

Steph EQII is free to play, in alpha phase right now, going beta in about one week.

As far as how good is it?

I like it better then wow.

Woe is all about the end game. PVP and raiding for gear. EQII also has pvp and raiding, but they focus more on the adventuring, and char development/custonization. 24 races, and 27 classes in EQII, Racial trees, class trees, master style trees, lots of ways to develop your char.

I enjoy it.

Wow is good, very good. But how many 80 toons tweaked out in end game gear do I need? I’ll stop at 4, with two more in the 70s. I just got tired of wow and the prospect of a simple 5 new levels just to have to regrind/raid/pvp all over again for optimal end game gear in the new expac does nothing for me.

So, I used to pay to play EQII. All of my friends played WoW, so I switched. I am now going back to EQII via the new F2P client called EQ Extended. Those same friends btw, are coming with me, the irony.

10. frostquake

I have NEVER paid to play an MMO. I beta tested Lord of the Rings…but saw absolutely no reason to pay monthly for it. I have yet to see the appeal of an MMO? I guess you make friends? You level up? You get achievements? You have a gamer score? You meet in the real world a play dress up?? You sew costumes out of your Mom’s Dresses to look like a tunic??? I guess the biggest appeal is that you get to escape this Horrible Sucky World for just a bit, and be a somebody who matters in the MMO? Listen, I am not putting anyone down, I am a console Nerd, only because I can’t afford the latest and best gaming rig, but even when I did, I couldn’t figure out the appeal of MMO’s??? Maybe it is the ever changing world..No game ending??? For me I want a game that builds up, climaxes and has a good or bad ending to walk away from. I don’t know if I could take WOW, it never ends. I find MMO’s interesting and perplexing at the same time. I guess the MMO part of my brain is retarded??