New Grid, Operation Flashpoint coming from Codemasters

Monday, 26th July 2010 14:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

grid

Codemasters’ SVP of production Jame MacDonald has told Develop that new iterations of Race Driver: Grid and Operation Flashpoint are in development.

The games are currently in development at the company’s Southam studio alongside DiRT 3.

“We’ve got a major launch with F1 coming up in September and developed at our Birmingham studio,” said MacDonald, “and we hope to draw new IP from there. Our Guildford studio is working hard on Bodycount, and we will be looking to to take that franchise further and further with the addition of more IP.

“In Southam it’s full steam ahead with the next iteration in our Flashpoint series, as well as the next Dirt and Grid. It’ll be interesting to see how it all pans out.”

The original Race Driver: Grid launched in 2008 for PS3, 360, PC and DS, while the last Operation Flashpoint, Dragon Rising, released last year for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Boris Fett

Awesome. Race Driver: GRID is an amazing driving game.

2. Droid

GRID and Dirt were cool but Opflash:DR was a big disappointment. Can’t see me making a mistake like buying a new version of this game again.

3. Erthazus

Kill Operation Flashpoint.

That was a fucking disaster. this year i finished Operation Flashpoint 1 campaign and it was brilliant. I’m still playing that old geezer.

4. RoarrrUK

Dirt2 was great. Not a big fan of grid due to its handling.

Can’t wait for F1 2010. Going to pick it up for PC & PS3. Roll on September.

5. DeSpiritusBellum

Awesome news. Dragon Rising had a lot of potential.

6. Erthazus

“Dragon Rising had a lot of potential.”

LOLWUT? Really? I thought it was doomed from the start.
    What did Bohemia Interactive with OP:Flashpoint can’t do Codees. They proved it.

7. DeSpiritusBellum

@6 Well, you also think ArmA 2 is a great game. You’re disqualified, kbye.

8. OlderGamer

I enjoyed GRID, it got a bit too hard for me near the end, but I enjoyed it.

I got it for 5usd on steam, I kinda think i will be waiting awhile fo rthat kind of deal on this one.

Oh well, I have time.

9. Bikki

YEEESSSSS! I love GRID.

10. Erthazus

@7 After 2 patches it’s a great game, so you are disqualified.

+ with new expansion it is more badass. With destruction and other stuff.

OP:DR nothing will help.

11. GwynbleiddiuM

I want OFP :( but I need it done far better than Dragon Rising …

12. Whizzo

The Xbox 1 version of Cold War Crisis was a bazillion times better than Dragon Rising, hopefully Codemasters will have realised how badly they screwed it up and not make the same mistake.

13. DeSpiritusBellum

@10 You have no idea what you’re talking about, as usual.

Destruction doesn’t mean a lot when your men can’t take cover in buildings and lay down fire from those positions. They can’t even fire from the dams in the game, because the developers apparently didn’t see dams as strategic targets. Impressive.

In the last game they couldn’t shoot over sandbags. It’s just a fantastic game, that ArmA.

And the AI still doesn’t respond to sniper fire, they just run around and wait to be shot. In reality a squad in any third world army, would turn a machinegun on that sniper and try to suppress him while the others flank around.

And they can’t see at night, even with NVgoggles. The engagement range drops to 20-30 meters. I’ve done a theory thread on the BIS forum to try and fix it, but no one has any idea how. The closest we got was using KnowsAbout, and that only works with a player in the squad. It’s just a broken game.

So yeah, potential.

14. Droid

I still laugh at the Arma 2 “radio” voices. Sounded like a robot gargling some dry wall. I guess someone must have patched it by now to change it as that seriously made me laugh rather than make it feel “realistic”.

15. Erthazus

“Destruction doesn’t mean a lot when your men can’t take cover in buildings”

Sir, you didn’t even played ArmA 2.

you can go in and out and take cover.

Buy yourself a PC, ArmA 2 and expansion packs, than lets talk.

“And the AI still doesn’t respond to sniper fire, they just run around and wait to be shot.”

Show me the video ok? OR you are playing the wrong ArmA 2. AI is responding to any shot always since the first ArmA or OPeration flashpoint.

Video please.

“Fundamentally the AI of Dragon Rising had it beat every step of the way, whether it was pathfinding, responding to threats, fortifying buildings, or executing tactical drills.”

GO. FUCK. YOURSELF, MR i Know everything but others don’t!

16. DeSpiritusBellum

@15 I’ve played every game, and I’m still playing ArmA II.

It seems like you don’t really get it though.

You’re showing a player entering a building, where is the AI, exactly? Make a squad take cover in a building and provide an effective base of fire, then we’ll talk.

The sniper issue is easily verifiable. Start up any version of ArmA II you like, and shoot at the opfor from between 500-200 yards. If you get suppressed at any point before you’ve killed every one of them, while they run around like headless chickens, I’ll fedex you a cookie.

Personally I can’t explain those videos below. They do have occasional problems with object clusters like in the first one, but in the last one it looks like the guy has set the AI to passive, since they aren’t breaking into tactical formation.

As opposed to ArmA II vehicles, you can actually make DR vehicles drive their waypoints in a fluid sequence without wasting time at waypoints, as long as you pass them the right command, and you can meticulously map their waypoints around rocks like that.

Here’s what you should do: Go to ArmA II and make a guy shoot over a 60 cm high wall on a dam. Then make a spec ops group of at least 4 different teams storm and clear a building the way you can do it in Dragon Rising.

17. Erthazus

“Make a squad take cover in a building and provide an effective base of fire, then we’ll talk.”

Who said you can’t do that? You can do that with your squad taking position in the building.
    Why you can’t ?

“I’ll fedex you a cookie.”

Show me a video damn it. I won’t start anything because i have no problems with that. If i shoot they duck always.
    ALWAYS. Since first Operation Flashpoint there was not much of an AI change.

and about this game in whole:

Dragon Rising has enough silly conventions and simplifications to drive mad any die-hard fan of ArmA and the original Operation Flashpoint. On the other hand, its boring missions and poor multiplayer are a turn-off for those who just wants to shoot things. Releasing this game between ArmA 2 and Modern Warfare 2 is like spitting upwind.

so in conclusion, have fun playing Dragon Rising if someone actually playing. I don’t care about that simple and silly sim.

18. DeSpiritusBellum

@17 Man, I never get tired of seeing you blatantly deny reality whenever you get cornered.

“Who said you can’t do that” – I did, it’s a fact. Either accept it or prove me wrong.

“Show me a video damn it” – I’m not gonna. Just like I’m not gonna show you a video that the sky is blue, I’m not gonna show you a video that the AI in ArmA II is horribly inept. You can just start it up and try it for yourself.

And you’re right, there hasn’t been much of a change since the original Operation Flashpoint, except for the fact that awesome mod teams like BAS and CoC have gotten fed up and left. It’s a shame.

Neither of the games are simulations, and neither of the games have AI that works in every situation, but quite arguably Dragon Rising gets the closest when it comes to replicating an actual battle situation, due to the fact that the AI perform actual tactical drills.

The sad thing is that while the singleplayer really works, Dragon Rising compromised on pretty much everything to conserve power for consoles, leading to an awful editor, with no support for modders, whereas ArmA II makes for a nice accessible sandbox, with loads of people making mods.

That makes it a nice timewaster for military buffs, but it’s far from being a sim, and it’s still not a very good game.

19. Erthazus

“I never get tired of seeing you blatantly deny reality whenever you get cornered”

Your true reality is a fantasy world, you just a fanboy of certain games. I can show you youtube links or people at Metacritic who screams all over that they hate MW2, you say: No shit sherlock, they are wrong because i think that.

No prove links or videos just words.

“actual battle situation, due to the fact that the AI perform actual tactical drills”

Ok, prove links or review that they say about a GOOD AI that performs an Actual tactical drills.

“Neither of the games are simulations”

No one said about simulations here. They both have genre: Tactical shooter.

Come on, i’m still waiting for prove links about the sniper issue and e.t.c. Do it or it will never happen

20. DeSpiritusBellum

@19 Again, like I said, the AI seems to be disabled in that clip, which you already posted.

I’m not a fan of very many games or developers, I’m just interested in games, and everything I’ve said can be quite easily verified. Facts, you know?

You can start up Dragon Rising right now and set up a firefight scenario, you’ll see fire and maneuver being executed.

It’s especially good if you make them withdraw. The rear guard actually tries to suppress the enemy while the squad makes a run for it.

Again, everything I’ve said is based on things you can test for yourself in less than 5 minutes, if you want to spend time doing it.. But I’m guessing you don’t, since you know you’d be proven wrong.

I’m not really impressed by YouTube clips. You can film (or fabricate) any glitch and try to make it represent reality, but really only an idiot would think that constituted actual proof.

You can just start up either one of the games right now and see for yourself – You do actually have them, right? You’re not just pulling random videos off the internet?

21. Erthazus

“Facts, you know?”

*laughing* Can you show the videos already? Man. I’m just asking you for videos or a decent reviews about

and e.t.c. When i played Dragon Rising i saw bots like from Call OF duty games: Running, standing and shooting.

22. DeSpiritusBellum

@21 Oh dear.

I guess we’re at that point where the moron asks the guy for proof that the sky is blue, and the guy says “Look for yourself, dumbass.” and the moron goes “Video or it didn’t happen”.

“Your squad usually responds quickly to your commands and tends to be cautious and mindful of enemy positions. Likewise, enemies will go prone when fired upon, head for cover, return fire, and often maneuver to flank your position. You will often feel legitimately threatened, and overall, your enemies feel like trained, battle-ready soldiers.”

Gamespot

“To accomplish this, the developers have taught the AI tactics out of US training manuals so that it can respond intelligently to tactics used and changing circumstances. The AI value their lives and will not just hold their ground if retreat is the best tactical option. Killing enemy officers who help coordinate the enemy AI will often lead the enemy forces acting in a slower and less cohesive manner. Additionally, both the enemy and the player’s squad have morale systems. They are affected by the perceived quality of their leadership. So, the player’s squad may complain and eventually abandon them if they persist in, for example, running across open fields at machine gun emplacements. Additionally, the AI responds to suppressing fire and may get pinned down if it judges that it cannot safely return fire or maneuver. As is stated above, the AI is very self sufficient and is able to take care of itself. In fact, it is possible to command the AI as much or as little as the player likes as the AI will seek to follow the best course of action even if they are never given an order. Orders can be given both before the mission, when a battle plan is laid out, and in play”

Militarysimulators.net

“Tasked with flushing out a village you can choose all sorts of different approaches to your attack; your squad and enemy troops will adapt their tactics to the changing situation. The AI in these moments is often stunning – with both sides efficiently flanking, laying down covering fire, lobbing grenades etc. without much intervention from you.”

IGN

It’s worth noting that most of those reviews all mention AI bugs and glitches, but it’s pretty clear that while it isn’t perfect, the AI still offers a lot more than you’re likely to see in the next three ArmAs.

So, there’s your little pound of flesh. Where’s the video of ArmA II soldiers shooting from a dam, storming a building or responding to sniper fire?

23. daytripper

ARRGH I WISH YOU WOULD FUCKING DIE

24. Droid

Lol yeah all the long posts make my eyes bleed. So much hate here it’s pathetic. Can’t we all just get along.

25. Artheval_Pe

I wouldn’t know about the ennemy AI, but I know for sure that the friendly AI in Dragon Rising is pretty dumb. They can be almost uncapable of preserving their own life. I can’t recall how many times I got incapacited and saw the bots happily run into the line of fire of an ennemy machine gun… while it was firing.

@ DeSpiritusBellum :
    Since I can’t really verify your claims right now about the AI in Dragon Rising, I won’t challenge what you said about it.

However, one thing is for certain : The level design in Dragon Rising is stunningly poor and repetitive, the graphics are terrible and attacking ennemy positions sometimes feel like playing a game of whack-a-mole. The mission design isn’t that good either.

So, yes, maybe Dragon Rising has a lot of potential on the AI side of things, but the rest of the experience was not really up to the standards of most shooters these days.

26. DeSpiritusBellum

@25 There weren’t any real levels in Dragon Rising. I thought the island was pretty believeable – What part of it did you have a problem with?

It’s true you had to babysit your squad, which is sadly the case with most newer squadbased shooters, but I was pretty impressed by the degree to which an AI squad could maneuver and adapt under fire. I’ve never seen an AI do real life maneuvers like that, even if it wasn’t perfect.

Attacking a prepared position takes a lot of time in real life, and it’s quite arguably a lot harder than any game makes it seem. You’re right about the whack-a-mole thing, but that happens in real combat as well, the Falklands War had quite a few battles like that, some of which ended in bayonet charge.

The fact is you won’t get any of those experiences in ArmA II, however. The AI doesn’t extend itself further than computing a simple individual move order, or a firing order, and sadly you can see the units standing around completely clueless until they figure out which one they’re gonna pick.

In DR you have cohesive units, who do execute tactics depending on their situation. I think that’s a huge leap.

27. LOLshock94

in review wise cold war crysis got slated and i think dragon rising is really good but if arma 2 had really good AI then arma 2 would be the best i hope they do make another operation flashpoint and grid 2 and dirt 3 would be awesome as well