Next Dragon Age: Origins DLC coming soon, dropping story to focus on combat

Saturday, 24th July 2010 09:21 GMT By Nathan Grayson

awakening2

Real adventurers don’t need silly old reasons to risk life and limb by delving deep into suicidally dangerous dungeons. They do it because, you know, why not? They’ve already saved the world, and there’s nothing decent on TV tonight, so why not go out for a nice stroll where most men fear to tread? It’s something to do, at least.

That’s Dragon Age: Origins’ next DLC in a nutshell. No story, no towns – nothing. Just you, your party, and your tactics against a very challenging, high-level dungeon.

1UP reports that BioWare mentioned the DLC during Comic-Con, though it has yet to actually drop a name for either the DLC or the dungeon itself. Apparently, though, attendees will have a chance to take it for a test run this weekend.

You’ll want to start sharpening your blades or tossing more sparkle dust on your wands or whatever it is you do too, because the DLC’s “entirely combat based” according to the report. The only puzzle you’ll be solving, it would seem, is how best to dissect your enemies.

More to come soon, we’re guessing.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

Dragon Age without story, is like the lasagna without cheese. pointless, tasteless, forgettable. it’s like taking the color off the world. not interested…

2. Demiath

Bioware seems to be very focused on these story-less Dragon Age DLC packs. I think part of the problem here is that story-based add-ons for a modern game requires an enormous amount of work even for just a few hours of gameplay. In other words, the DLC model simply doesn’t work for currentgen games.

3. Old MacDonald

I uninstalled Dragon Age the day before yesterday. I was unimpressed with Leliana’s Song (too short and too much combat), and I doubt we’ll get another proper expansion (like Awakening) before Dragon Age 2, so I just decided to free up the space for something else. Looks like I won’t regret that decision anytime soon.

4. AHA-Lambda

5. frostquake

Wow…I have been a Bioware Whore, downloading all the ME2 and DAO DLC, but this might be the first Time I don’t download this, seems pointless, plus my Cooter is sore, maybe this Bioware whore needs to retire till Next year?

6. fdelfino

Stop complaining, you fools. The best part of Dragon Age is the combat!

7. LOLshock94

the combat is shit its like playing WOW

8. Erthazus

“Stop complaining, you fools. The best part of Dragon Age is the combat!”

You mean World Of Warcraft Rip Off? Combat in this game is really flawless.

9. Phoenixblight

World of Warcraft was not the first to use the action bar, in fact it was used in Balduar Gate series and Diablo, there are games that have used it that even predate those.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@6 Dragon Age isn’t a game that you wanna play only to have intense combat. Games like Dibalo 2 didn’t need a story driven gameplay, and they hadn’t it even though they still had a plot which was awesome. games like diablo need to have an intense competitive gameplay because you’re not gonna play it alone. you play it with your pals and at the end of the day you write your own story and make your own adventure. that’s where we don’t need to focus on the story, but on gameplay. in a single-player RPG story is as important as gameplay, and it’s because you need something to drive you to see the end, in my case for multiple times. I have played DAO for story sake times and times and so far even though the concept is the same, the plot is the same the gameplay is the same, EXPERIENCE is not, and I enjoy myself by doing so.

11. Erthazus

@PhoenixBlight, World Of Warcraft perfected that system and in DAO it really feels like it’s from World Of Warcraft. The system is basically the same, just a little bit boring.

12. DeSpiritusBellum

@11 I think someone slipped something in your coffee this morning.

Oh yeah, the combat system in Dragon Age is practically identical to WoW…. *smashes head into keyboard*

13. Phoenixblight

You have to be shitting me. What system?

Press the keybind for this power or click on the icon. Its not freakin rocket science. You can faceroll on the keyboard and get the same effect.

14. Erthazus

@DSP I played enough World Of Warcraft to judge the similarities and differences, so STFU.
    If you know something about Warcraft show me your Gametag of one character that has at least 80 level (and one raid accomplishment), if not, just STFU.

@Phoenixblight, “Press the keybind for this power or click on the icon.”

You never played PVP in WOW do you? It’s not just press keybind, you need to move in different directions using different skill with different types of it like instant or buff, while in Dragon Age it’s a standard “stand in one place” and smash mobs.
    I rarely moved my character in DAO. Sometimes tried to lure stupid AI to the place where my 2 mages cast AOE. Thats pretty WOWish considering just PVE.

15. DeSpiritusBellum

@14 Armagedda/Level 80 Rogue/Defias Brotherhood/Formerly The Esoteric Foundation (Top raiding guild)

http://www.defias-achievements.eu/page/player/Armagedda (I was wearing some of my favourite old gear when I left WoW)

You can cite whatever ridiculous references you want to, but you’re still being a moron and comparing a third person buttonmashing MMORPG to a singleplayer top-down tactical RPG, which is just mindnumbingly stupid.

“This game has an action bar menu – They’re identical” – Dumbass.

16. Joe_Gamer

Look here Bioware, story is what your good at and what we love you for, I don’t want to hear any more of this silly “no story” nonsense.

17. Uncontested

Well another piece of DLC I won’t be buying.. I was pleasantly surprised by Awakening after waiting a couple months to finally try it and it had finally dropped in price at Best Buy (Wasnt about to pay for the game again on STEAM even on sale, since I always buy games like this hard copy)