Schafer: Double Fine working on four new, signed games

Thursday, 15th July 2010 10:30 GMT By Patrick Garratt

brutallegend2

Double Fine boss Tim Schafer has just told the crowd at his Develop keynote that he’s got a bunch of projects on the horizon.

Schafer said the company has four games in the works, all of which have publishers.

Schafer said that the games were signed within “months” of showing them to publishers.

Answering a question on the matter after his speech, Schafer said some of the games were downloadable and some were for traditional retail.

The company lead said that splitting into a multi-project developer had resulted in “growing pains,” but that betting on the right people was the way forward for the firm.

Nathan Marks, one of the Brutal Legend team, is heading up one of the games, while Tasha Harris – previously of Pixar and also a member of the Brutal Legend crew – is leading another. Brutal Legend art director Lee Petty was the third lead mentioned.

Schafer said that focusing on smaller projects had allowed the company to become more flexible.

No dates or details were given for any of the games.

Schafer has just finished his Brighton keynote, after yesterday calling Bobby Kotick a “total prick”. He’s been having a good week, clearly.

1. V_Ben

Whoa. More Double Fine games is always a good thing :D

I’d say EA is pretty likely to be publishing at least 2 of them. MS probably wont be, THQ is a maybe. Sega could happen, and Sony is a possibility.

2. mington

So he didn’t reveal any of the games, i got the impression reading the Eurogamer interview yesterday that he was going too

3. Patrick Garratt

I’ve edited it. They’re not all downloadable. Some are for retail.

4. V_Ben

Oh wow, retail and downloadable? Thats even better :D And Tasha as the director of one of them? This can only mean good things :D

Also, this means that not all of the double fine games right now are “Tim Schafer games”, and that he’s letting people pursue their own projects under his guidance. Which can only mean good things. :)

5. Blerk

I really must get around to playing my copy of Brutal Legend at some point. Sorry, Tim.

6. amirmir

Brutal Legend was awesome. Black Sabbath, Megadeth, Judas Priest and Jack Black??!! Is there anything better than these in the world?
    Gameplay was somehow repetitive but I didn’t care about that, those great handpicked musics were the only reason that kept me playing Brutal Legend.

Schafer games are all great, my favorite is Grim Fandango. If you can’t find it anywhere at least download it through P2P networks.

7. amirmir

I hope one of those games is a Grim Fandango remake.

8. mington

Maaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyy yooou prommmmmised!!!

9. locus2k1

Manny, until now we scraped along the ground like rats, but from now on, we soar. Like eagles. Yeah. LIKE EAGLES… ON… POGO STICKS.

10. Anders

BrĂ¼tal Legend… That game could’ve been awesome.

11. mington

Not picking that up.

12. mington

My scythe… I like to keep it next to where my heart used to be.

13. Captain Fruitloop

None of them with Activision, we can safely assume.

14. DeSpiritusBellum

@10 It really could, but at the end of the day there wasn’t a lot that that game got right. Even on the metal front – Ditching Ronnie James Dio for Tim Curry?

That’s when I started to get a bad feeling.