Molyneux demos Milo squashing snails, skipping rocks at TEDGlobal 2010

Tuesday, 13th July 2010 18:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

milo

Peter Molyneux was on hand at TEDGlobal 2010 in Oxford, England today, showing a “more refined” version of than the one shown at E3 last year.

According to Kotaku who pieced the story together via Twitter, Molyneux didn’t show a pre-rendered video, but instead enlisted a volunteer from the audience to help demonstrate the virtual boy.

“This talk is going to be a little bit insane,” said Molyneux, as he and his helper taught Milo how to skip rocks and helped him tidy up his room.

During the demonstration, the volunteer cheered Milo up when he became sad, and even asked him to squash a snail which after a moment of hesitation, Milo complied.

“I love these revolutions and I love the future that Milo brings,” said Molyneux.

A video of the demonstration is to be posted on the TED Blog later this week.

Molyneux’s presentation was part of a session called “Human Systems”, which also featured talks from Matt Ridley, Steven Johnson, Chris Wild, and Annie Lennox.

1. mathare92

It’s (still) alive!
    Looking forward to see how much has changed in the video.

2. Bloodyghost

Milo seemed scary….

3. Johnny Cullen

That sounds properly promising.

I can’t wait to see the video.

4. ryan8765

Sarah Connor: [narrating] 3 billion human lives ended on August 29th, 2011. The survivors of the nuclear fire called the war Judgment Day. They lived only to face a new nightmare: the war against the machines. The computer which controlled the machines, Milo, sent two Terminators back through time. Their mission: to destroy the leader of the human resistance, John Connor, my son.

5. Peetry

The tech is interesting but it will not be a functioning ‘learning’ AI (which from the E3 video is the impression I feel Molyneux is trying to evoke). For those of us who are tech savy this is obvious but for the target audience (children/mothers etc) this may not be the case. Molyneux typically is promising a lot and I hope he doesn’t let people down and deliver Eyepet v2.0

6. Psychotext

Based on what they’ve said, it wont be an AI as such, but it will learn… or at least be tweaked using data sent back to the cloud by players everywhere.

7. Moonwalker1982

Squash a snail? What the….

8. Peetry

@6 you have source for cloud data, as a programmer I’d be interested to read about it. I’m sure it will remember details but actual learning seems completely impossible to me. Learning == recording ? IMO no, otherwise my TV has learned my viewing habits

9. Psychotext

It’s just hinted at: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2010-07/13/peter-molyneux-milo-and-kate-xbox-kinect-preview

Assuming it really is cloud based, it’ll be learning in a fashion, it’s just a distributed artificial neural net.

10. Gekidami

M’yea… Molyneux himself dropped the hint, and we all know how carried away Molyneux gets durring a games ‘early hours’… That salt, i’d take a pinch.

11. Robo_1

The idea of a cloud based A.I. is incredibly ambitious..and scary. lol

12. Kuwabara

seriously, any adult males who wants to play milo is a pedophile

13. Blerk

I’m still struggling to imagine how this can be anything more than a tech curiosity. Are they still adamant that it’ll be a ‘game’ in the end?