Pachter: Respawn creating space shooter

Monday, 12th July 2010 14:05 GMT By Joe Anderson

respawn

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has predicted Respawn Entertainment’s first title will take place in space. With space guns.

Pachter did the crystal ball-gazing on the latest episode of Gametrailers show Pach Attack.

“One genre that hasn’t been cloned a lot is the space shooter, so I’m going to make a prediction the ex-Infinity Ward guys, Respawn Entertainment will make a Halo killer, a game which will take the form of a space shooter,” he said.

Respawn has teamed up with EA Partners for its first game, although details have been thin on the ground so far.

1. Erthazus

On the ID Tech 3… and it’s called QUAKE 3.5 !

2. cookiejar

Fun.

3. Freek

He hasn’t predicted anything, he’s just “respawned” a rumor that’s existed since way back when they were still at Infinity Ward. That the next project after MW2 would be a sci fi FPS.

4. Blerk

“One genre that hasn’t been cloned a lot is the space shooter”

I hope he was being ironic there. :-D

5. daytripper

sick to death of first person shooters, give us more RPGS

6. Erthazus

But in reality if they can make a real successor to the Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament 2004 than it’s going to be a real Blast for me and it’s not going to happen anyway.

“will make a Halo killer”

You don’t need a LOT to do that seriously, except the Halo marketing campaign that Respawn or EA won’t do anyway.

7. Freek

Here we go. Back in january you guys already had this story up.
    edit, the wrong link, not the sci fi rumor.

8. scratchy69

If they mean space shooter as in lots of whizzing laser bolts and camp storylines then, to be honest, there isn’t a whole lot of choice beyond the Dark Forces games and a couple of levels out of No One Live Forever. I’d love to see this. Gayer the better please.

9. Dr.Freeman

Call Of Halo: The Future Warfare

made by infinitybungi

10. scratchy69

On reflection, I guess I totally ignored Halo, but that’s very easily done.

11. freedoms_stain

Every time I read a Pachter story I get more and more amazed that he actually gets PAID for this.

12. YoungZer0

I hope it’s more like Shattered Horizon.

13. ZarraN

NOO, I want to see a first person SWAT game

14. YoungZer0

Go play SWAT 4?

15. DeSpiritusBellum

@14 Except SWAT 4 sucked. It’s more like a “What would happen if you took 4 mentally challenged children, strapped them in body armor and gave them guns, then sent them into a building full of armed villains”-simulator.

SWAT 3: Elite Edition still stands the test of time. I can’t believe a game that old actually handles better than most modern squadbased shooters.

16. Jacomelo

hmmm, i had no idea that Halo was just a space shooter.

But listen here, NOTHING can destroy Halo, nothing ever will.

Of course there are those fags that started playing halo with HALO 3. These people are considered ‘short term fans’ and they don’t know what Halo really is without reading some of the books and playing Halo 1 & 2.

But for all the ‘long term fans’ nothing will be even close to destroying the halo universe.

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

People like Jacomelo are exactly one of the reasons Halo players gets such a bad rep…

18. Old MacDonald

I’d love a proper Wing Commander/Freespace-style game. Absolutely. But it sounds a bit unlikely.

19. YoungZer0

You know what would be a great game? A Space Opera like Mass Effect fused together with the space-sim from Freelancer. That would make me wet my pants.