Sony preps Develop 3D showcase as Japan freezes on TV upgrades

Friday, 2nd July 2010 10:13 GMT By Patrick Garratt

3djapan

Sony is preparing to stake its case for 3D gaming at Develop in Brighton this month, despite a Japanese survey today showing that nearly 70 percent of those questioned have no intention of upgrading to 3D TVs this year. Why? Because the glasses are turning them off.

Respondents blamed the need for wear glasses, costly TV sets and scarcity of general content for lack of interest, the survey by Kakaku.com showed (via Reuters).

The numbers aren’t small, either: 70 percent said the hassle of wearing special glasses put them off, 57 percent said prices were too high and close to 40 percent said there was not enough 3D content.

Of those questioned, 67.4 percent said they were not interested in buying a 3D TV while only 31.2 percent were considering or wanted to purchase one, the survey said.

The online survey ran June 10-16, receiving responses from 8,957 people.

Gaming firms such as Sony and EA pushed 3D titles in their E3 press conferences this year, with Sony in particular making big efforts to evangelise the fledgling feature.

Sony continues western 3D push

Unperturbed by the news from Japan, however, Sony said today it’s to showcase PS3 3D at Develop later this month.

SCEE senior director Mick Hocking will give a lecture on the future of 3D for games at the Brighton conference on July 15.

Hocking’s presentation – 3D: The Next Dimension in Gaming – will take the audience through the history of 3D entertainment, “from its humble beginnings back in 1850, to its breakthrough into mainstream entertainment in the present day,” explaining why Sony believes 3D is now here to stay.

“I’m really excited about being able to give this talk and giving Develop attendees the chance to play some of our 3D titles for themselves,” said Hocking.

I’ll also be sharing some of the unique tricks and techniques required to create a top quality 3D gaming experience.”

1. Blerk

30% considering buying one is far higher than I would’ve guessed, tbh.

2. StolenGlory

Nintendo must be loving this.

3. Robo_1

You can bet all R&D efforts are being targeted at getting glasses free 3D TV sets onto market ASAP.

From what I’ve seen and read, they’re really not that far off. The last CES show had quite a few variants of the format on display, which leads me to think that within 2 – 3 years the first glasses free sets will be on the market.

4. DrDamn

Yeah 30% considering an upgrade this year is massive – way to make a positive stat negative.

There were sizeable restrictions on the no glasses sets unfortunately I wouldn’t expect anything workable in that area for a good 5 years. The main issue being just one viewer due to the sweet spot. The 3D effect is also not as good from no glasses sets.

5. Freek

Or in short; 3D tech isn’t quite ready to go mainstream just yet.

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ve updated it with some SCEE 3D news we’ve just got in.

7. Filofax

The one thing I can relate to in that survey is the bloody price, its just way too high at the moment. And as DrDamn said, at least with glasses the effect stays good for all the viewers. Not just the lucky sod sitting smack bang in front of the screen.

8. Isuru86

I think those chinky eyes just aren’t made for 3D.

9. Blerk

:shock:

10. Aimless

I guess 86 must be their actual age rather than year of birth.

11. Patrick Garratt

Um.

12. StolenGlory

@8.

Can that shit please.

13. NiceFellow

This is the conundrum. Glasses free 3D in terms of equalling current TV viewing habits (wide viewing angle, people to sit all around the room, etc) is pretty far off so far as I understand.

It works great for 3DS because that’s essentially a single viewer able to hold the device in the sweet spot for viewing.

For a TV it’s quite another matter. Right now, glasses work much better, which is why Sony, Panasonic, etc. are all pushing them (in addition to working on TVs that don’t need glasses of course).

Clearly Sony hopes we’ll all use glasses first until the tech allows for current TV habits without glasses then switch again.

The question is will that happen or will the dislike of glasses hold 3D back for TVs until they can get rid of then?

Nintendo aren’t interested in selling TVs. For them using the tech in the 3DS makes perfect sense. They might even take the view if you’re playing a game you’re likely to be sitting in the sweet spot so only support non-glasses 3D on console too (assuming they do at all) and leave it to the TV suppliers to try and push us all to buy and wear the funky glasses currently needed.

Of course, I think 3D struggles to support current viewing at all. Heck, in my house we have an open plan living space so you can be cooking and glancing over at the TV as it suits – how the heck will 3D support that?

Clearly, for ages yet, 3D watching is going to be different, requiring you to sit in a certain place and watch a certain way.

14. StolenGlory

@NiceFellow.

I completely agree with everything you said. The 3DS removes pretty much all of the barriers that exist for me when it comes to the adoption 3D gaming – hence it’s appeal.

No glasses are needed, no specialised TV needed and every title that releases for it will be in 3D. Sure its on a smaller scale, but that hasn’t stopped the strong majority of folks who have used it gushing over it.

15. Patrick Garratt

THQ had a few glasses-free TVs on its stand at E3, and it worked well. Didn’t get the same sort of shock I got from 3DS, though.

16. OlderGamer

No thanks. The wife and kids and I tried a 3D set up at best buy last weekend. My oldest loved it, the reast of us were moved to nausia. And the effects? They are nice and neat. But I question what happens when that factor wears off.

Stuff like this often shows nice, like the Wii. And sometimes there is a push to get on board, like the Wii. But all to often once time goes by, it gets forgoten and over looked, like the Wii.

I say good luck folks. But yea w/glasses its a no go. And even if it does work for some, even most, there are going to be people that just can’t use it. A main steam product can’t have that problem.

17. mortiferus

Home 3D tech as it stands at the moment sucks. Sony bet on the wrong horse. No one wants to wear glasses! Who the hell wants to be nauseous mid way through a flick? Again, it’s too soon to be jumping on the 3D home market unless it’s glass-free!

18. Crysis

I know most people hate 3D with glasses (i have no problem wearing them myself) but the fact is, proper glasses-less 3D is not quite capable yet on larger screen, not without distortions, it’ll cost alot of money, time & research onto getting it to work perfectly without glasses, maybe non-flat screens again could do it?

19. G1GAHURTZ

I had a (I think it was) Transformers comic (could have been Dandy) in about 1987 and it had 3D glasses.

The technology basically works in the same way now as it did even before then.

3D with glasses is old hat, and these new tv’s are going nowhere except the back of the shed right next to the Laserdisc player IMO.

20. _LarZen_

Am I gonna play Crysis 2 and Killzone 3 in 2D? HELL NO, enugh said…