NPD May 2010: RDR clears 1.5M, Nintendo dominates hardware

Friday, 2nd July 2010 00:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

reddeadred

NPD has released May sales figures for the US, showing the third best-selling May on record after 2008 and 2009 and some monster sales for Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption.

However, the industry as a whole was down 10 percent for the month year-on-year.

Industry sales total $823.5 million, down 5 percent

Industry sales were down 10 percent year-on-year in May, and down 5 percent over April. Total sales came in at approximately $823.5M.

Microsoft contributed the greatest share of revenue in May, with $254 million in total spent on 360 hardware, software and accessories.

However, PS3 showed the greatest percentage in growth, with platform sales across hardware, software, and accessories up 32 percent for the month, and 28 percent year-to-date.

Nintendo still dominates US hardware sales

Portable systems contributed the most to the decline in hardware sales for the month. Nintendo DS was the best-selling hardware in May, moving 383.7K units – that’s down 57.1K from the 440.8K moved in April.

Wii posted sales of 334.8K units, compared to 277.2K in April, a 57.6K jump.

During the month, Xbox 360 moved approximately 195K units, 9.2K over April.

Sony sold 154.5K PS3 units in May, 26.3K units less than April’s 180.8K.

PSP sold approximately 10K units less during May, by only moving 59.4K.

Here’s the full chart:

1. DS – 383.7K
  2. Wii – 334.8K
  3. Xbox 360 – 194.6K
  4. PS3 – 154.5K
  5. PSP – 59.4K

When compared with April figures, both PS3 and 360 realized a unit sales increase in hardware.

However, when comparing May 2010 hardware sales year-on-year, figures fell 20 percent from $303M to $241.5M.

US hardware year-to-date:

ushardwareytdmay

1. DS – 2,560,700
  2. Wii – 2,033,200
  3. Xbox 360 – 1,473,200
  4. PS3 – 1,286,200
  5. PSP – 478,300

Software sales up 4 percent at $466.3M, RDR tops

May was the tenth consecutive month of year-on-year software sales increases for PS3.

Eight of the top ten SKU’s for the month were new releases, helping raise the average selling price for software overall.

Red Dead Redemption was the best-selling game for the month, moving 1.5M  units across all platforms, immediately exceeding lifetime sales Red Dead Revolver.

For May year-to-date, 43 percent of total software units sold were online capable, compared to 37 percent in May last year.

Here’s the full chart:

1. Red Dead Redeption (360) – 945.9K
  2. Red Dead Redeption (PS3) – 567.1K
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii) – 563.9K
  4. UFC Undisputed 2010 (360) – 221.1K
  5. UFC 2010 Undisputed (PS3) – 192.3K
  6. Wii Fit Plus (Wii)
  7. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
  8. Alan Wake (360)
  9. Pokemon SoulSilver Version
  10. Skate 3 (360)

There were many high-profile titles released in May that didn’t make the top ten, some of which include: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Split/Second, Blur, Lost Planet 2, and ModNation Racers.

ModNation Racers made it into the top 15, according to this IGN report, but neither Split/Second or Blur cracked the top 30 (thanks, Blerk).

The Big Three respond

The hardware manufacturers issued their usual statements in the figures’ wake, with MS pointing to a big hardware spike from Slim in June, Sony fixing on year-over-year growth and Nintendo just lording it at the top of the tree.

1. Razor

PSP is dead. Either Sony have a master plan for the PSP2, or they are clueless and shitting themselves.

Why do I believe it’s the latter? :D

2. cookiejar

PSP as an idea isn’t dead. Just PSP in its current form is. Plenty of scope for a well thought out, refreshed Sony handheld.

3. DaMan

what ‘re the numbers for AW?

4. Erthazus

PSP is not dead yet. Sony is now aware of handheld business and it;s first successfull handheld gaming device alongside Ninty’s.

But piracy hurt them like no other with that device.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@3 NPD stopped providing figures for 6-10 last month and only gives those out to its “clients”. Damn it and such.

6. Anders

Nitpicking rejoice: the year-on-year drop is ten percent, not five.

Also, quite the difference in sales between the 360 and PS3 versions of RDR. Close to 400k units.

7. Patrick Garratt

I’ve given that an edit.

We thought we’d we’d try keeping all this in the same article this month. Do you like it, or do you prefer having multiple headlines for the separate pieces of information?

8. Gekidami

Everything in one place is better, imo.

9. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added in year-to-date hardware data there.

10. Mike

I like it. Which means that you should now stop canvassing opinion. :)

11. Blerk

Those aren’t particularly impressive numbers for Alan Wake, I can’t imagine Microsoft being very happy with that.

Equally, that’s not nearly as impressive a start for Mario Galaxy 2 as I was expecting, it’ll be interesting to see if it stays in the chart next month – New Super Mario Bros Wii is still in there after all this time, but the 3D Marios don’t seem to last as well.

Super congrats of well done to Red Dead, though – a thoroughly-deserved set of sales figures for that, I feel.

360/PS3 gap widening again, though? What’s going on there, I don’t remember anything that would particularly drive 360 sales last month.

12. Patrick Garratt

In that VentureBeat interview, Feder said RDR had “sucked all the oxygen out of the room” in May, which I think explains the Galaxy 2 sales.

Not sure what the 360 boost was from, though, unless it’s just off the back of RDR.

13. Blerk

Do you remember Pachter saying that he didn’t think Red Dead could succeed? :-)

It’ll be interesting to see what the ‘slim’ announcement does for 360 sales next month. In theory they should drop in anticipation, in practice the old-model’s been discounted all over the place.

14. Patrick Garratt

I agreed with Michael :(

I “called” RDR on Twitter. I honestly didn’t think it’d work because of the setting. I’m playing through it now and it’s just amazing. One of my favourite ever games, I reckon.

I reckon Slim’ll boost 360, because of the drops. I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

15. Blerk

Red Dead’s blisteringly good, I loved it to bits. Don’t see you online these days, Pat – do they not have internets at your new abode? Or have you gone over to the dark side? :-D

16. Patrick Garratt

I’ve calmed down the Twitter a bit. Was a bit mental for it. I have internet in my new house, yes :D

I’m now a bit addicted to RDR, though. I really don’t want it to stop. I’ve never been a huge personal fan of open-world games, but I’m completely hooked by it. Bloody good show.

17. Blerk

The multiplayer’s damned good fun as well. We had a great time with the missions pack last week.

IGN are saying that Blur and Split/Second weren’t even in the top 30! Terrible results for both of those if true.

18. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added that. Multiplayer? Bloody hell. You didn’t melt, vampire-style? :)

19. Blerk

I can only play at night. :-D

20. Gheritt White

@ 4: Piracy on the DS is arguably worse than on the PSP, but hasn’t affected sales nearly as much. Plus, as we all know, the PSP is doing very well in Japan where portable gaming is a much more popular (than Europe, at least) in cultural terms.

What rally scuppered the PSP in the West is the price-point, I know loads of people who would have picked one up (the PSP Go, especially) if it had just been a bit cheaper. When it costs the same as a Wii, the price is a bit hard to swallow… much like YOUR DAD’S COCK.

21. StolenGlory

@14 Agreed. I just love the narrative and characters.

Mr. West-Dickens cracks me up =D

22. Patrick Garratt

Just posted a story on Slim demand up top.

@21 – I like Irish. Mad drunk bastard.

23. RedUser

Hi guys
    I have a question!
    RDR IS COMING TO PC?!?!?!

tnx

24. Blerk

They keep saying no, but I bet it will.

25. RedUser

i hope
    like gta and EFLC

26. AHA-Lambda

jesus at the results for blur and S/S O_O

plus yep it does look like alan wake performed WAY below expectations

27. Patrick Garratt

@23 – I’d be surprised if it didn’t.

@26 – Innit. I hope they did better in Europe.

28. Blerk

They’re both still on the UK chart but neither troubled the top 10 much. They’re already being quite heavily discounted too.

29. Patrick Garratt

30. mington

I finished Alan wake last night, it throws a curve ball in the last ten minutes which makes you rethink the whole game, makes me want to replay it…..but not any time soon. I hope they release a gold edition with the DLC included. I wonder if the DLC wll explain the story more as as it is its left wide open for interpretation

31. Blerk

I’m on the last chapter now, I think. The first bit of DLC is due in the next few weeks, isn’t it? And it’s free with the voucher that’s included in your box, which is a nice bonus.

32. Johnny Cullen

I need to finish Alan Wake. I’m on the last chapter, but I’m stuck. :(

33. mington

I played it on hard, didn’t have too much trouble with it :/ The game gives you loads of flare gun and flash grenades on the last chapter

Its definitely worth finishing

34. mington

When i completed it, i thought there must be a different/extended ending when you play it on Nightmare, but i don’t think there is, just a few more pages littered about.

35. The Hindle

Alan wake really hasnt done that well, what are the numbers for it? This proves that the 360 user base only really buy shooters, it should have sold way better.

36. AHA-Lambda

i’ll admit i thought AW was abit overrated and the ending in all honesty pissed me off but yea it deserves to do better when its quite sad to see that only halo, gears and cod make any impact on 360 sales -_-

37. Blerk

Heh heh – come on, Hindle – there are four 360 games in the top 10 there and none of them are shooters.

38. The Hindle

All multiformats Blerk, exclusive wise it seems only shooters sell well for them.

39. Blerk

And Fable.

There is a serious point in that, though – I don’t think it’s that only the shooters sell well, I think it’s that Microsoft really don’t know how to market their non-shooty output. Anyone remember seeing any Alan Wake telly adverts?

40. mington

I said this the other day, they should’ve marketed it as a Action/Horror/Shooter with a TV advert showing lots of slow mo running and explosions

41. The Hindle

Indeed, but even Fable will be a shooter before long if Moleyneux comments are anything to go by :D Its a shame for Alan Wake it deserved better. Lets hope it did better in Europe.

42. Patrick Garratt

I’ll request some Wake figures from NPD.

43. cookiejar

@41 You really shouldn’t listen to what he says :D

44. The Hindle

Can someone provide me a link with the full top 20 for the NPD, its usually on neogaf but not showing for some reason

45. Patrick Garratt

@44 – We should get it today. They’ve changed a lot of stuff in the past few months, though, so I’m not sure when.

46. Blerk

The top 20 usually follows a few days later, they don’t release it straight away.

47. AHA-Lambda

wow just reading comments on gaf, ouch.

Got to say aswell imo i cant see any major big blockbusters sales wise this yaer either apart from halo and cod…again -_-

oh and AC brotherhood i guess given the ac2 sales