Analyst: 3DS to launch in west in March 2011, cost $249-$299

Friday, 18th June 2010 11:54 GMT By Joe Anderson

iwataand3ds

Analyst firm Lazard Capital Markets has revealed that it expects that Nintendo to launch its new 3DS system in Japan late this year, and with a US release following in March 2011.

LCM describes the Nintendo 3DS as the “winner at E3″, and thinks that when it does release in the west, it will be at a  $249-$299 price point.

“We have little doubt that the 3DS will prove successful for Nintendo and quite possibly third-party software publishers, as the 3D-effects will give reason for consumers to upgrade from their current devices, as well as potentially reduce the cannibalistic impact from smartphones and tablets,” says LCM analyst Colin Sebastian.

“Our conversations with developers and publishers suggest there is broad support for the 3DS,” he adds. “We believe [3DS] will resonate well with consumers.”

The firm wasn’t so kind on Nintendo when it came to Wii, however, suggesting that Microsoft and Sony’s latest motion offerings will steal some of its thunder, although he did have some hope for the machine.

“High price points for Kinect and Move could be the Wii’s salvation during the upcoming holiday season,” argues Sebastian. “Meanwhile, a strong slate of first-party software from Nintendo should keep core fans engaged with the platform until there is a platform refresh, as early as 2011, in our view.”

Finally, the analyst said that his firm predict a  $100 to $150 range for Kinect, with anything above $150 unlikely considering Wii’s current price ($199). He also added some praise for Sony saying it “turned a new page and now is developing a broader digital entertainment platform.”

Nintendo are expected to announce the release date of the 3DS later this year, while Microsoft is expected to reveal the cost of Kinect at gamescom in August.

Thanks, Gamasutra

1. Tallon 4

Fuck those analysts. Nintendo is never ever gonna price the 3ds so high. Never have, never will.

2. Blerk

The DS launched at $149.99. The 3DS will never be more than $199, but I’d bet they’ll be targeting $149 again.

3. Tomo

Analyst firms truly are bollocks. I also don’t get why they make the gaming press so frequently. I’d much rather hear the honest thoughts of the journalists themselves as they are far, far more likely to be both accurate and insightful.

Down with Analysts! Rise journos!

4. Raining_Upwards

@3 Analyst firms are given publicity so that we have a bullshit threshold with which to judge regular news against.

5. Amored

I actually consider $299 a very nice price :)

6. JPickford

Nicer than $199?

7. Amored

No, but I don’t have a problem with $299. I might even pay $349… I probably have to, as I live in Norway :(

8. ryan8765

Quick! Grab Armored from behind! I’ll kick him in the stomach and take his lunch money. We’ll split it 50/50.

9. Amored

Shut up, or I’ll end your life!

10. revsoul

@Armored…

And that’s why companies can put out Dsi’s, DsLites, DsXL’s, 3DS or whatever they want b/c people are daft enough to give them their money.

Sony learned this with the $600 start of the Ps3.

We Gamers control the industry!! If we don’t buy into the hype and the trash, they will have no choice but to change.

11. Amored

I don’t buy in to hype. I only buy stuff I really want. I bought a Nintendo DS in 2005, and sold it in 2006. Then I bought a Nintendo DS Lite in 2008 to have something to do while working, but sold it in 2009 because I needed the money at the time. As I still have 7 of my DS games and the 3DS has enough new features, I now want a DS again so that I can play all the great games that I have missed + all the great upcoming games.

And I’ll gladly pay $299…