Sony “underestimated” gamers’ attachment to titles already owned in packaged format

Wednesday, 16th June 2010 07:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pspgo3

SCEE’s Andrew House has admitted that Sony may have “underestimated” the consumer attach rate when it comes to packages goods.

Speaking in an interview VG247 at E3, House said explained his comment on PSPgo being a testing of the waters for digital, and that the consumer is quite fond of the games it already owns in physical format.

Therefore, he said that the day all games go digital, like on iPhone,  is hard to determine.

“I think it’s very difficult to make predictions because you’re asking a prediction about the degree of data capacity that will be involved in game experiences that we haven’t even seen yet,” he said.

“I think that’s really interesting, but I think the data capacity becomes a real factor there. [iPhone games] are small-scale, data-tiny experiences, and clearly Apple has proved that there’s an online marketplace for that.

“But when I look at the trend toward bigger, deeper, more intense experiences – certainly on home consoles – I think packaged media will be around for quite some time.

“I also think that – as you quite rightly quoted me – consumers have, even for their portable devices, an attachment to the games they already own in the packaged format that perhaps we underestimated”.

Get the full interview and more through the links.

1. NiceFellow

did he think I was going to throw them away or something? what’s to not understand?

what they got wrong was having a really good PSN store with enough content to make a Go seem attractive to new owners – which they failed to do.

without some way to use your existing media the chance of existing PSP owners upgrading was minimal.

what’s wrong with these guys to miss something so obvious?

2. MrBambinoDent

I think this was a bad idea in the first place … plus PSP games are more expensive on PSN which is stupid ..I really want to buy a PSP go but I can’t find anything to justify this purchase. Even if I bought this, should I go and buy every single game I have on UMD again from the store ?
    Like I said , I think this is stupid and they have make something about it.

3. Blerk

No shit, Sherlock!

4. bytemap

People are only attached to their physical media, because what can justify the a gamer paying the same price for a game downloaded versus a game bought in store, this is also including tax since Sony charges Tax online on their PSN store. at least for me it does.

Your view is flawed MR. Andrew House. Stop trying to rig the sales so you can justify your overpriced digital download. You know why Apple is selling well, because it s SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to purchase the title online than to buy in store, with NO SALES TAX either. God, I know your not thinking most people are buying that bullocks your talking.

Oh and don’t say it’s not possible to drop the price for a digital download. You cut out the distributor and retail sales and reap all profits with the publisher and developer from the digital download. If your smart enough you would make your REAL money of quantity, not trying to nickel and dime the gamer out of an expensive download and gain a LOYAL fan base. However since your talking this dribble, I doubt that means anything to you or Sony.

LOL, funny article on greed.

5. Freek

House is making an incomplete conclusion.

-The PSP Go is more expensive.
    -Not all games got a digital release or came later then the UMD version.
    -There was no way to transfer already owned UMD games.
    -UMD versions of the games could be purchased cheaper due to price cutts at different stores.

In other words, the Go was a much less atractive option in every possible way. The only people Sony can blame for that is themselfs.