PlayStation Plus pricing confirmed for UK

Wednesday, 16th June 2010 15:31 GMT By Joe Anderson

sony

Sony has confirmed the pricing for its new PlayStation Plus service for the UK following it’s press reveal yesterday.

Those wanting a cheaper option, can get a 90- day subscription which equates to £50 worth of free content for the period.

Sony also confirmed users who sign up will be eligible for discounts on the store and anything bought using this will still be theirs to keep.

You can read all about PlayStation Plus here.

1. onlineatron

The last paragraph puts me off entirely.

2. Nico23

nice sign me up. im down with psn+. last paragraph doesnt bother me lol.

3. Joe Anderson

I’ m up for it and move, and the new xbox box and the 3ds arrrgh too much money.

4. Blerk

Fucking what? :shock:

5. DrDamn

Every month you get one PSN title, two Minis and one PSOne classic to play. Only while you sub though. Realistically how many of these sort of games are you still playing 6-12 months down the line? It’s not really a big issue considering you are paying less that £1 to play each of these titles.

6. poultee

Why is everyone making a big deal of content not working if you decide to not renew. Its a well known fact of subscription services that some content is locked and only on offer when you are part of the subscription. On the EU blog they have clarified that most of the content is actually yours, but the free games your get each month are locked into the subscription.

7. Amored

@4 – That is the lamest thing I’ve ever read :P

You know PSN+ subscribers also get 3-year-warranty for their PS3? That is just stupdi, as everybody has paid for their PS3, and should get the same treatment when it comes to support and warranty.

8. theevilaires

1 and 4 I agree with you completely. They just lost my sub idiots!

9. DrDamn

A lot will depend on the quality of what they offer you, but as I mentioned above, do you really play your average PSN/Mini/PSOne game for more than a few months?

10. Amored

@DrDamn – I play my PSN/MIni/PSOne games whenever I feel like it, which will be impossible will when you lose your games after a year. The only way I would consider paying for PSN+ would if they made it mandatory for online play.

11. JonFE

Well, I’ve been playing Trials HD on my x360 constantly since its release last August, if that answers your question DrDamn (not that I have anything particularly great to show for my time though).

12. DrDamn

Well if you feel you have had value in that first year then wouldn’t you continue your subscription and get another 48 games to play? They become unavailable when you end your sub, not after a year.

13. Amored

Not really, because when I pay for something, I expect to keep it for as long as I want (for no additional cost). No, I never rent games or movies.
    Your sub is automatically ended after a year, unless you pay for another year.

14. Sneak-Out

Nice …

15. Phoenixblight

You aren’t paying for the games you get for free you are paying for the subscription to use the games. Its the same concept for music subscription like Zune or Rhapsody.

16. JonFE

In contrast, games purchased by Gold XBL members at discounted prices will not demand the discount paid to remain fully playable when you revert to Silver XBL membership; just sayin’…

17. DrDamn

@JonFE
    Which is exactly the same as PSN+. Any games purchased at PSN+ discounted prices stay yours. It’s the free titles which you lose access to.

18. KAP

@15… some people just dont get it do they.

Saying that though, Its almost like saying If i cancel my subscription of Official Playstation Magazine someone will come around my flat and take all my magazines away til i renew my sub…..

From the words of Lee Evens: “Fuck. That. Shit.” *snap-sap-sap-sap*

19. Phoenixblight

Don’t like it, don’t buy it. I honestly don’t mind because the service offers a lot compared to Xbox live.

20. DrDamn

It’s not really the same as Live – not mean to be. What you are paying for with Live is online gaming – the discounts and early access are sweeteners. Here you are paying more for the games and the full game trials. The discounts and early access stuff are sweeteners here too. Two different products. I’ll likely give it a go for a year.

21. ivycrew707

I’m gonna take it yearly off rip……seems like sony likes to add and improve as they go along, which makes sense, and I wanna already be there when it does start to improve.

22. Psychotext

Odd. Surely it makes no difference if you buy in when it improves, vs buying in before it improves. Well, other than wasting money on the half arsed version in advance. :D

23. G1GAHURTZ

So this is essentially a game rental service?

Interesting.

24. Gadzooks!

What the fuck? You dont get to keep the games you effectively pay for?

Jesus christ, do Sony actually believe people are stupid enough to take them up on this ‘offer’?

25. ivycrew707

or buying 3 months, canceling, and then it improves and u waste more money later renewing…..hummmmm

26. Phoenixblight

Lrn 2 read

“Sony also confirmed sers who sign up will be eligible for discounts on the store and anything bought using this will still be theirs to keep.However, any free content you downloaded will cease to work until you renew your subscription.”

All the games you buy at a discounted price you keep, the free stuff you don’t.

With the Subscription you are paying to use the free stuff.

27. theevilaires

Wow Phoenix when you put it that way I guess its not such a bad offer. Thanks for that clarification bro :D

PSN+ FTW then!? :P

28. Kerplunk

“With the Subscription you are paying to use the free stuff.”

Paying to use free stuff.. ?

Where’d they get an idea like that from???!

29. Phoenixblight

Look at most digital distribution subscription, Onlive will surely be using this method as well.

30. Phoenixblight

They are essentially saving you quite a bit. Assuming its 50$ for a year thats 4.17 a month they give you two minis and a PSone Classic a month which the Classic alone is 10$. They also give you a discount for buying PSN content.

Assuming you are getting all the “free” content they are saving you quite a bit but thats all depending if you like playing PS classics and the minis. And we aren’t sure how much the discount will be but that counts towards something atleast for me it does.

Think people are just ignoring this, “The price for a 12- month subscription is £39.99, which Sony says will give you £200 worth of free content over the space of a year.”

31. Kaufer

@28 From Microsoft. Where else do you need a subscription to use Facebook and Twitter?!

32. G1GAHURTZ

Indeed… Paying to use free stuff is certainly an interesting concept.

33. ivycrew707

Did it mention cloud storage? I would pay 50 for that alone

34. G1GAHURTZ

It doesn’t give you anything except probably an error message if you don’t renew your sub.

35. Amored

PSN+ is bullshit anyhoo :P But I might check it out :)

36. Gadzooks!

“They are essentially saving you quite a bit. Assuming its 50$ for a year thats 4.17 a month they give you two minis and a PSone Classic a month which the Classic alone is 10$.”

Oh, seriously? Minis and PSOne games? My god I didnt realise how AWESOME that is.

No, wait it isnt awesome at all, in fact it’s pretty much worthless.

“They also give you a discount for buying PSN content.”

Which is always more expensive than the XBL equivalent anyway.

No, sorry I just dont see how this is of any value at all. Throw in some much-needed improvements to PSN integration, comms and party facilities and I’ll be interested.

37. DrDamn

It’s one regular PSN title, two minis and one ps1 classic per month, plus the hour+ try before you buy on full titles.

38. Phoenixblight

Well I am very interested, when this does release I wlll be getting it because I would like to play some of the classics. Bring me to a time where games had more substance then some current gen games.

39. Gadzooks!

“It’s one regular PSN title, two minis and one ps1 classic per month”

Where do you get that info from, because the portal website says: £200 worth of content per year including PSOne games, Minis and a SELECTION* of PSN games and PSN discounts.

So PSN discounts will count toward that £200 value, and it doesnt say if that’s £200 spent or £200 worth of content offered.

Selection is the keyword. Expect a deal-of-the-week situation just like, surprise surprise, XBL.

40. DrDamn

I’ve seen it reported elsewhere too. Eu ps blog I think. At least £200 covers just the free stuff, not what you would save on discounts.

41. cookiejar

I’ll have some of that. Just hoping more features will be added over time. I’m fine paying that yearly if we see some improvement on PSN over the years.

This reminds me of another Microsoft service, Zune. You sub to the package and download the songs you want. You stop the sub, you lose it. Its been done before.

42. Amored

I’m sure they pick the games you get :P

43. xino

Yes makes sense
    but if i download a free avatar, will that stop working!??:/

anyway this is AWESOME MAN!

£40, I download 1 new game every month for 12 months.
    If i get tired of those games and subscriptions, i can stop paying and I won’t play those games.

Without the use of PSN + i would have paid about £29-39 each month for a game:/