Video goes close up on 360 Slim

Tuesday, 15th June 2010 13:09 GMT By Joe Anderson

xbox360250

The new Xbox 360 Slim, which was shown at Microsoft’s press conference last night, has been given plenty of attention, but up until now, we haven’t actually seen anyone touch it.

Engadget managed to get its hands on one, showing us what to expect when we unwrap our own next month in the UK and Europe and later this week in the US.

As you can see from the video, the new console includes five USB ports, HDMI, Digital Optical and Ethernet, however something that does stand out is the proprietory port for Kinect and the new power supply, which has a different design from the previous Xbox 360.

Other new features include a hard drive built into the top of the machine, allowing you to slide it out much like you can with the PS3, although the hard drive is designed just for the 360, so don’t go expecting to thrown any old drive in there.

The new Xbox 360 is also said to be a lot quieter and has built-in Wi-Fi. There is no HDMI cable included with the new console

1. AHA-Lambda

Wait is that the kinect port above the ethernet port?

I have that and i have an elite that is only a month old O_o

EDIT: sorry ignore me it looks similar but its not =/

2. cookiejar

I wouldn’t say thats slim at all. Its more of an Xbox 360 midget.

3. DUFFKING

It’s not called the slim anyway, is it? It’s just what the 360 is now.

4. theevilaires

3 usb ports in the back! SOLD fuck it! I told Sony to put at least one but those motherfuckers are hard headed!

5. cookiejar

@4 I think the original prototype PS3 had about 24 USB ports on the back didn’t it? Now that was fail :D

6. onlineatron

Getting rid of memory card slots basically requires MS to stick more USB slots in.

Although I can’t see you needing extra memory. It’s got 250gb and is as quiet as a PS3, so installing titles is rendered moot (at least for me, I only installed to quieten the box).

7. Blerk

The actually looks a lot nicer in reality than it did in the press shots.

How fucking cheap is it to STILL not be throwing an HDMI cable in there, though? I mean, come on!

8. reask

Looks nice actually.
    Pity they couldn’t ditch the brick.

9. LordCancer

they might as well not even put cables in the box… save the environment.

10. Blerk

I wonder if we’ll get a system update in the very near future with all the new Xbox branding on it? I see they’ve even changed the Xbox animation that they put at the end of the trailers.

Edit: Up yours, VG247 server! I am not posting too quickly! You’re too slow!

11. sg1974

Looks nice. 5 USB (three back, two front) is awesome but proprietry hard drive and external power brick is crap

12. cookiejar

I reckon the rebrand/update will come with Nat..Kinect.

13. Gekidami

Well it comes out this week and Kinect dosnt, so…

14. dirigiblebill

“Pity they couldn’t ditch the brick.”

+100

Here’s your bright shiny new Xbox 360! Oh, but you’ll need to staple this enormous fat hunk of maximum ugliness to it.

15. Blerk

I hide mine under the 50 foot mountain of wires behind my telly.

16. cookiejar

@13 The software update I meant.

17. reask

@ Blerk
    Just like me. :)
    Its like a rats nest. :D

It looks like the slim is working out so far anyway.
    No 1 on Amazon 100 best sellers.

18. LeD

It looks like Darth Vader’s shiny helmet.

19. zoopdeloop

It’s actually pretty nice. i expected something different from Microsoft a bit more original …it looks like the fat ps3(much too many resemblances from the whole concept idea to glossy black finish and touch buttons)i wouldn’t blame anyone if he/she calls it a bit of a rip-off…because it kinda is

but it’s pretty nice,so much better than the old one :)

20. theevilaires

OK so lets see here…..

1. Its quieter
    2. Still NO BLU-RAY!
    3. 5 USB PORTS FTW!
    4. Still NO Standard HDD
    5. Wireless N = MEH
    6. Glossy Black is cool but copying SONY for sure
    7. NO HD CABLES = WTF
    8. Case is smaller, but uglier (FACT)
    9. STILL HAS A POWER BRICK WTF?!!!!!
    10. Still can’t compete for what a PS3 can do at the same price point! (media center wise) Can’t play 1080p M2TS HD movie files like the PS3 can so beautifully!

21. DaMan

unappealing really.

22. Bulk Slash

For once Engadget isn’t photographing stolen goods. ;)

23. reask

You forgot about the beep when you open tray. :)
    Now that is cool. ;)
    If not original.

24. DGOJG

I was just reading the review of the customer who has apararntly bought one and noticed this:

“5. Optical support is now built in, and there’s the extra addition of a special port for the Kinect which will supply the device with its power, while XBox 360 FAT owners will need to plug Kinect into a wall outlet. ”

I thought Kinect was powered through the USB slot? Guess not.

25. exite

I bet the RROD looks way better on this one :D

the case reminds me somehow of early Alienware desktop PCs

26. LePlatypus

*waits for Erthazus to comment on how the xbox 360 is shit and goes into long techincal details that no-one cares about*

27. Fin

@22 That was Gizmodo!

@26 Yeah he’s slow today!

28. Erthazus

@26 You sir is shit, not the xbox 360.

@25 Exactly and the thing is that gloss thing is such a stupid waste of money. I have my original PS3 with gloss and i have so much problems with it when i don’t play games on it. Dust is full of it and that what kills hardware.

On the other way, Xbox 360 slim looks very nice, just took away that gloss crap. It will be full of dust and they did a CPU/GPU merge so less overheating. Cool decision.

29. mington

Vaders lunch box innit

30. Gheritt White

@ 20: You forgot that the new X360 still uses a disc tray, rather than slot loading like the PS3.

This, for me, has actually cost MS one sale. No slot loading drive, no interest – at least as far as I’m concerned.

31. Blerk

I don’t much like the gloss finish either. And the beeps when he pushed the buttons were annoying me before the end of the video, even! :-D

32. Tallon 4

Still a power brick and disc-tray? Mmmm….not very happy with that :(

The only reason for me to buy would be that’s it’s more quiet

33. Erthazus

Why Disc-tray is so bad? All PC’s have it.

34. Blerk

I don’t like slot-loading drives. I always think they’re going to scratch my disc, or keep it and not give it back.

35. Mike

Looks lovely. I hope there’s a good trade-in deal.

36. OlderGamer

Only reason to really buy one is if you don’t already own one, or the one you do own breaks.

I know people do, but there is little point to spending money you don’t have to. Why buy new hardware on a redesign? Maybe it is just me, but I don’t have cash to waste … just for a redesign.

If we are talking a great deal of extra function added on … makes more sense.

Or.

If I needed a replacment controler, wanted a wireless ineternet adaptor, and was looking to upgrade my HDD then the system could be cost effective and has the added bonus of getting an extra system to boot.

But buying a new sysem because it looks neat or is a tad quieter? Silly. I know xb360 is often noisy. But it isn’ like its a jet engine. When playing games you can’t hear the system. I play at night while my wife sleeps next to me in bed, not as if it is so loud it wakes her up.

Bagh.

Do I have a point?

Not really, lol.

Other then to say unless you honestly need what is being offered in the retail box, it seems foolish to buy something because it has a new look.

Oh and as far as the brick goes, go look at the 16bit systems. They had bricks too(built into the wall plugs). Makes senses it keeps the systems cooler. Wii has a brick, as does the PS2 slim.

37. zoopdeloop

Get over yourselves guys…the only reason to buy this is if you don’t have one or your old one playing tricks with you and is ready to go to heaven, hell or straight to your garbage :)

there’s no reason if you already have one and it’s doing what is supposed to do nicely just for the sake of Microsoft earning more bucks and for your satisfaction of getting something “new” and “shiny” which will wear off eventually in a matter of days.Don’t fall into that trap and waste your money without a real reason to do so.

The same was with the Slim ps3…it was ridiculous hearing from people who already had one with no problems whatsoever to go all out and purchase a Slim which many eventually regreted after some time because they liked the fat one more…the irony

38. zoopdeloop

@36 same thoughts OG…when you posted i was still writing :)

39. theevilaires

PC’s may still have disc trays but who still use disc. I don’t, everything is done by USB now and my PS3 plays so many different video formats the 360 can’t thats why I use it more as a media center.

40. Blerk

You don’t play any PS3 games, then TEA? I thought they still came on disc. :-)

41. OlderGamer

@Blerk Zzzzingggg

42. G1GAHURTZ

Wow. This looks amazing! I want two.

43. cookiejar

I’ll pick one up when my current 360 dies. Its almost a year old now, so im expecting it to go any second :D

44. raoullduke

it looks good and i’m tempted to get one. but why could they not update the controller too. as it is its probably the best controller ever perfect in every way except the horible Dpad. how hard would it be to rip off the PS3′s Dpad and stick it on there instead. MAKE IT SO.

45. theevilaires

That’s the only disc medium I use to be honest Blerk. Unless a piece of hardware comes with the software loaded on a CD and even now you plug any new device up to PC’s and it’ll automatically install the drivers.

I do heavily believe that disc base media should be kept but I’m an on the move guy who likes to be organized as much as possible and not have 3000 collector DVD cases all over the place when I can have it all on one small WD external 1TB element(FTW :D ) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136540

The disc base media I consider only valuable now are video games.

I will never buy another CD or Movie on a disc in my life. Fuck the music and movie industry (except for those who deserve it).

46. theevilaires

raoullduke…THEY WILL NEVER CHANGE THAT CONTROLLER!

All you Xbots out there kept crying. Why won’t Sony change the DualShock its the same old thing from PS1…ok watch the next box have the same controller.

Why would they change some thing that works well for you guys? They won’t just like Ken Kutaragi caught hell with the boomerang PS3 controller back in 2005. Oh and that D-PAD is staying on PlayStation my friend. Its patented just like your beloved in-game custom soundtracks.

47. Gheritt White

@ 33: PCs may still use disc trays, but all Macs are slot loading.

@36 & 37: Agreed. I’ll be using my cash on the PS3 + Move bundle now, I’ve finally decided.

48. daytripper

personally think the 360 pad is much better than playstations so i wouldnt mind if they didnt change it. would just like sonys to have a more “weighty” feel to it thats all although i doesnt stop me enjoying warhawk on a regular basis. (starhawk announcement tonight pretty pwease)

no need for all the xbots shite either aries, bad enough seeing other sites drowning in this fanboy shite as it is.

49. Gheritt White

@ 48: Agreed. The PS pad is the primary reason I jumped over to Xbox… and stayed there.

50. Petulant Radish

Get this pad then!

51. daytripper

52. OlderGamer

Xbox360 pad is outstanding. The D-pad is a bit weak, but for the most part, it isn’t used very much. I would like a better one esp for xbla games, but oh well.

I even went out and bought a DreamGear pad for PS3, designed exactly like a 360 one. Has a better D-pad tho lol. However the anolog sticks on it aren’t very good, they lack good resistance. It felt worn out right out of the box. Still better then the PS3 pads tho.

Of course that is just my two cents, to each their own.

53. raoullduke

@46 fanboy lol get a life.

i don’t want a new 360 controller i love the current one, i just want them to fix the Dpad thats all, its not a lot to ask is it. it would push the pad from almost perfect to perfect, make it so.

54. Petulant Radish

Oh go on.

I do love the 360 pad though, the Playstation one makes me feel I have giant hands that are crushing the poor thing and could quite possible bring on early arthritis

55. LePlatypus

@28 “you sir is shit” well i think we’re all agreed sir your grammar is shit

56. Tallon 4

at 36… Crunch your story please. I am to lazy to read the whole thing

57. Gadzooks!

Do want x 2!

Will upgrade my upstairs 360 that I use as a media centre next month, and trade the downstairs elite for a slim+Natal bundle when released.

Well pleased about the N wireless too, and a good excuse to upgrade my router.

Yummy.

58. theevilaires

@ 48 and all this time I thought it was because you were a natural born loser, HA! But people who say the weight of the DS3 is light need a little extra glove for the PS3. Its a silicon glove for the DS3 and it makes the DS3 heftier.

They come in Blue, Black, Orange, and Pink. They feel great in your hands when using them with the DS3 so buy these ones because they fit around the D-Pad and face buttons naturally. Plus these are the official SONY ones. The ones with the circle cuts aren’t. I have a blue and black glove and they make a great difference.

59. daytripper

lmao!!!!

60. Gadzooks!

Holy crap that controller glove is gay! That’s even worse than the Wiimote condoms! LOL!

61. Erthazus

@58, Jesus… What is this… condom?

62. theevilaires

No trust me they aren’t. They are highly sweat and grease resistant. Try one and you’ll never take it off. I highly recommend every PS3 owner to buy one if they have hefty issues with there DS3.

63. Gadzooks!

Do they come in a sequin variety too? Maybe leather with an open back…. :p

No, I’d rather put up with the cramps the DS gives me than use one of those atrocities.