Study – Move and Natal purchase intent below 10%

Thursday, 10th June 2010 22:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natalmove

A study conducted by US research firm OTX has found that 8 percent of Xbox 360′s market intends to use Natal and 6 percent of PS3′s intend to use Move.

Those that intend on purchasing the controllers, 25 percent plan to pre-order it.

With both firms set to reveal the respective controllers at E3 next week, these numbers should go up a bit once more information becomes available to the public.

The study also found that 15 percent of both PS3′s and Xbox 360′s market were aware of the controllers, and that the average age for intended purchasers was 28 and 25, respectively.

When it came to female participants in the study, 30 percent of those planned on purchasing Move, and 20 percent planned on buying Natal.

“While we are still months away from launch, the current data suggests that Natal gamers are definitely Xbox 360 purists, while Move gamers have a stronger interest in other platforms,” said OTX.

The top three preferred genres for Move varied between action, RPGs and shooters, while those who intend to get Natal – four out of five prefer shooters.

Titles with strongest overlap among planned Natal purchases:

1. Gears of War 3 – X360 (47%)
  2. Fable III – X360 (42%)
  3. Call of Duty: Black Ops – X360 (38%)
  4. Halo: Reach – X360 (34%)
  5. Dead Space 2 – X360 (26%)

Titles with strongest overlap among planned purchases of Move:

1. LittleBigPlanet 2 – PS3 (42%)
  2. Gran Turismo 5 – PS3 (32%)
  3. SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs – PS3 (30%)
  4. The Legend of Zelda 2 – Wii (26%)
  5. Super Mario Galaxy 2 – Wii (21%)

The GamePlan Insights poll was conducted between May 23 and June 5 and had 2,000 participants.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. JPickford

Mostly I think people buy hardware because of the games. Few people are going to be excited by a controller alone. These figures might change once (if) some compelling games are shown.

2. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I didn’t get asked……I’m planning on buying a PS Move!! :)

Hoping to get my hands on:
    EyePet (got a 3 year old son…)
    Golf game
    Dead Space Extraction (if the rumors are true)
    RE: Chronicles (that’d be nice)
    Wii sports type games
    etc, etc

3. Erthazus

I’m planning to buy Move if there will be a good Hardcore games for it that will use Move’s capability in full stuff.

@2 you can purchase EyePet now with PS Eye :)

4. JPickford

Eyepet gets boring very quickly. There’s an hour or two of entertainment in it.

5. Erthazus

@4 For 3 year olds it is a fantastic game. If your child will smile it’s enough for a purchase.

6. NoxNoctisUmbra

Something tells me in reality PS3′s MOVE will be used at least by 30 % by end of this year! and it will grow higher and higher. Natal maybe 15% , sure people will buy it but wont use it.. just like the hardcore players with Wii.

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’m gonna wait for the US release with the move controller additions, but thanks!

8. JPickford

@5. Sorry I was referring to how long my kids played it. One afternoon. It’s as shallow as a puddle. I think it’s a bit fiddly for a 3 year old. My youngest is 4 and she needed her elder sister to operate the menus and stuff.

Compared to something like Nintendogs which has been played by my eldest for however many years it’s been out.

9. NiceFellow

Given current owners were happy to buy the consoles without motion controls – and in some cases in preference to a console with motion controls (Wii) – is this actually anything but confirmation of something that could be logically deducted.

If those owners wanted motion controls that much they’d have a Wii, and if they do have on in addition to their PS3/360 then clearly the majority are going to want to see demonstrable extra value over what the Wii gives them before investing.

10. DeSpiritusBellum

@9 I doubt that’s the case.

This firm asked people “Would you buy a motion controller just for the fuck of it?” and people said “No, I don’t see any value in that” just as you’d expect they would.

As JPickford says, you don’t buy a console to look at a nice plastic box under your TV, you buy a console for games, which is exactly the same motivation needed to shift some Natals or Moves.

Right now the only games that are really being put forward are lame tie-ins that quite obviously have little to offer that would justify either device. It’s only once you’re seeing the quintessential Natal/Move games lined up, that people will seriously consider it.

11. Robster1979

What this study doesnt mention is that the people who are going to buy Natal aren’t gamers and most aren’t even aware of it’s existence yet. Come October when MS has the thing plastered all over the TV and internet with EA sports active and a host of family fun orientated games every mother, wife, GF, grandmother, sister….. is going to buy one of these because they all know someone closely who owns a XBOX and they all want what those clever MS ad’d will show. Family happiness and a healthly looking body.
    Plus the fact that their nearest and dearest spend a huge amount of time with the XBOX and they want to be a part of that too (currently they just arent interested in what XBOX has to offer)
    Ultimately Gamers will have very little to do with the success/failure of Natal. Its your Mum/wife who’ll buy it, whether you like it or not.

12. Psychotext

I’m getting both… and then likely never using them.

Yay for stupid obsessive tech purchasing.

/looks forlornly at dusty Wii

13. Robster1979

I keep my Wii 6,000 miles away in the opposite hemisphere, thats how often I use mine.
    Theres so much cash sat on that shelf tied up in Wii, perhipherals and games, all of it sh1t. I’m not sure what happened to me. I must have been brainwashed by all the hype

14. Dannybuoy

I must admit the Move controller could appeal to women. ;-) I intend to buy Move. I like being in a minority anyway

15. Blerk

I’m surprised the percentages are as high as that!

16. Gadzooks!

I’ll definitely be getting Natal and possibly Move too, but not because of anything announced so far for it.

The ‘controllerless controller’ hype is purely that – hype. It’s a message put out to try to snag a NEW set of gamers.

What you have to understand is that this marketing drive is not directly aimed at selling Natal itself. It is aimed at expanding the userbase with more casual gamers.

When the initial marketing push is out of the way, then we will see the uses of Natal for the more traditional gamer, and those uses will be traditional controller enhancements, not replacements.

Minority report style menus and inventory management, headtracking, voice control, lean out of cover, 3D object manipulation, all in conjunction with a traditional controller.

You need to look past the headlines people. Both Move and Natal will have plenty of support for non-casual gamers, and I’ll wager you’ll be seeing a decent amount of info about that at E3.

17. Tonka

Motion controls are one of these things that needs to be experienced before people can make any decisions. Interest can shift up or down once E3 is upon us.

18. Blerk

Microsoft also need to actually announce some games.

19. OrphanageExplosion

Judging “intent” on systems and peripherals that have had next to no marketing whatsoever and haven’t even been seen by the general public is nuts. I bet the “intent” quotient on the Wii was even lower.

20. frostquake

Having no kids and having a Wii it will be a wait and see game for me, until a game that comes out and blows my mind with the the controller for either system. Would be TERRIBLE to buy the Move or Natal and Brick the Systems…LOL you UK’ers go for it and let me know.

21. OlderGamer

Both of these things are going to trickle out of the gate at best.

I am telling you PS faithful, stop and think. Did you buy a Wii? Do you use it? What exactly do you think is going to make Move different then a Wii?

Your answer to those questions was likly influenced by prelaunch hype for Move. Trust me, for the most part waggle controls are crap. Not just because they are inconsistant, not just because your arms will tire quicker then you think, but because the gimmick games aren’t fun to play. It really is that simple.

The Wii used to show off great. Everyone that tried ours smilled, laughed, marveled, and wanted one. Move will be the same way. But everyone that went out and bought a Wii, ended up not using it. Move will also be the same way.

The “sports” games are the most fun. Esp bowling, tennis and a few others. FPSs are crap(your arm tires after a short while). Driving games stink. And no game you can think of works better with waggle then it does with a control pad.

Natal?

I am envisioning it to be even worse.

The best uses I can imagine for Natal are menu based functions. But even then … doesn’t a control pad work for that already?

10% sale through? Sounds right, but I don’t think that will reflect how many people will use the things a year after luanch.