Footage shows what appears to be Mortal Kombat film [UPDATE]

Tuesday, 8th June 2010 19:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

mortalkombatrebirth

Update: According to a tweet from RZA (Robert Fitzgerald Diggs) from Wu-Tang Clan, the director is Kevin Tancharoen, and it should “bring back Mortal Kombat”. Word. (thanks, Mike)

Original: Some footage has surfaced that looks to be either a new film for Mortal Kombat or a live-action trailer for Mortal Kombat 9.

We’re unsure at this point, but we’re inclined to believe it’s for the film revamp Warner’s been aiming for, especially when it shows Jeri Ryan herself as Sonya Blade.

Then again, maybe not.

Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon has been hinting around a lot lately about the next game in the series and how “M” rated it will be.

If this video ties into it in anyway, “M” is what everyone’s gonna get.

We looked over on IMDB to see if we could find anything pertaining to a new Mortal Kombat film and found that one was set for release for around 2013 but that it still may be on hold due to Threshold Entertainment’s breach of contract lawsuit.

Even so, it looks like plenty had been accomplished despite the lawsuit if it is indeed a movie.

We’ll send out a mail and see if this is the film or a live-action trailer for MK9, which seems to be all the rage these days.

It’s worth noting though that the film does not appear in Ryan’s resume on IMDB nor Michael Jai White’s for that matter.

So, it very well could be just a live-action trailer.

Via Kotaku.

1. mathare92

well if it is a live-action trailer, it’s probably the best produced one I’ve seen…

2. Erthazus

Fantastic trailer if you ask me.

3. Superfrog

@1: QFT. Production values (in that case the fight coreography and filming/effects) are just too high for a game-related live-action clip.

Anyway, looks great!

4. The_Red

Holy fucking crazy drunk Jesus raping a Playstation 360 with 3D motion, WTF was that? What did I just watch?
    Seriously, MK reboot? Movie? Holy hell, that looks both awesome and terrible at the same time. Where is MK’s fantasy?

5. Stephany Nunneley

“Holy fucking crazy drunk Jesus raping a Playstation 360 with 3D motion, WTF was that?”

:D :D

6. Patrick Garratt

Remember Warner owns this now…

7. Dimacorgan

This is SO awesome!

8. Freek

That’s not how you trailer a film, but it does fitt in with the recent high productiuon value short movies games like to throw out to gain hype.
    First started by halo 3.

And was the soundtrack from the Resident Evil movies?

9. Madlink

That was pretty cool. If it does turn out to be a movie, count me in!

10. The_Red

@ Freek
    That’s part of my problem. That’s Halo! Freaking multi-billion dollar selling Halo.
    This is Mortal Kombat, a series that most people had forgotten about and only a few die-hard fans like myself still loved and enjoyed modern MK games (Excluding the stupid MK vs DC).

11. Erthazus

@ Yeah, that was the only cheap part. Music was taken from Resident Evil movies.

12. Patrick Garratt

I just watched the full thing. That’s *fucking* awesome.

13. Freek

It’s Warner Bros, they want to bring back a once giant franchise.
    It is verry well made, but nothing budget blowing. No wire work or massive CG effects scenes.

Everybody is doing it, even Ghost Recon, wich isn’t a mega franchise either.

And full blown films do not come falling out of thin air. If they were making a Mortal Kombat film, it would be known, it would have been teased, we would know who’s staring, directing and writting it, long before any trailer would be shown.
    And it would be a real trailer, not a short story like this that is basicly a set up for a new game.

14. V_Ben

Good Grief. that is a fantastic way of getting people excited :D

15. xino

looking forward to it!

the game seriously needs a reboot, everything is getting out of hand.

16. Boris Fett

Holy. Fuck.

17. FlyBoogy

this is just awsome ! not like the fear3 fail live action shit

18. Mike W

This might be the direction the series needed to make a comeback.

19. Dimacorgan

@17 amen man… that trailer is SUCH A LET DOWN… F3AR SUCK5!

20. The_Red

@ Freek
    Good call on Future Soldier. That was really impressive too. I didn’t like FEAR3 live action trailers but it seems WB is serious about MK and this vid is rather nice.
    I’ll seriously miss MK’s fantasy elements and old versions of Reptile and Baraka if this is indeed the MK reboot.

21. distraet

I need to change my pants now.

22. The_Red

Thanks for the update VG247. Always the best and the fastest… now counting seconds until they release the screen shots.

23. theevilaires

I’m calling this a fake. No way this is real. Its a prank. Has to be right?

24. revolting

HOLY. CRAP. That was completely unexpectly, illogically, unfathomably AWESOME.

I’m not sure what is more surprising… that anyone would think making a new MK movie would be a good idea after the previous travesties, or that someone would make one anyway and manage to make it that fantastic. I’d love this to be a movie.

I’m leaning towards the “live action teaser for new reboot game” theory, though. Purely because I think the net would have heard about this before if it were an actual movie and was far enough along in production to release that teaser.

25. Dralen

That was totally Kickass!! That has hyped the shit out of whatever is coming for me.

26. The Hindle

That looks awesome.

27. SplatteredHouse

Holy shit that was incredible! I cannot wait to see what comes next about this! :O

28. Amored

Not sure whether this is suppose to be a movie or just some awesome promotion for the next game. I think it could be the latter.

29. Superfrog

According to this it’s for the movie. ;)

30. Tomo

Agreed. It was superawesomewin.

Johnny Cage getting nailed though?! Buhhhhh!

31. AHA-Lambda

woah! I’m not even an MK fan and that looked really good :)

If this movie were to raise the bar for game movies like arkham asylum did for licenced IP we might actually get some good movies for a change ;)

32. frostquake

This is a Promo for the next season of RuPaul’s Drag Race!

Edit: What the heck is these Word Press Errors..asking for Sign In and Password????

33. Blerk

Ha, that was surprisingly alright! And I’m absolutely in the ‘Mortal Kombat was/is/has always been shit’ camp. :-D

34. Raining_Upwards

Holy shit what world did I wake up in!

35. mington

“Okay, so… Mortal Kombat. It’s not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film. [...] I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB’s reaction to it was. And I’m not sure how you can contact WB to push them to make it. But you guys are resourceful…! ;-)”