SCEE: “It’s our job” to give consumers a choice between digital and packaged

Tuesday, 25th May 2010 21:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

andrewhouse

SCEE president Andrew House has said that Sony plans to continue providing customers with the option of both digital and retail releases in the foreseeable future.

Speaking in a Q&A with PS3 users on the official PlayStation Forums, House said it’s Sony’s “job to ensure that costumers have a choice” between the two formats – which mirrors comments he made last year.

“Disc based content is still very much what the consumer is used to and wants,” he said. “However, there has been a change in attitude and technology that is making digital delivery far more feasible and far more attractive.

“It is our job to ensure that consumers have the choice between the two where possible. How this area will evolve, I can’t really say at this time, as we are relying on many things outside of our control, such as broadband speeds.

“Things are changing quickly and we have to make sure we are ready for those changes”.

House also said that the company is still planning to release more digital offerings from the PSP back catalog.

Oh – and GT5 is not a myth. It is real, looks “amazing”, and will be “out soon”.

Good to know it’s not $60M worth of vaporware, then.

Read the full thing for yourself through the link.

1. Razor

That’s a dodgy beard.

4/10

2. Spiral

It’s because he’s grinning. People who grin need big bushy beards.

3. raoullduke

beard rhymes with puppys

4. Suikoden Fan

oh really? Dragon age awakenings says hi, £30 for the fucking download and no disc option, no what that achieved? me getting the game on 360.

5. OlderGamer

@4 why?

Are you out of HDD space?

Maybe I am strange but I like DD games better. Really. You know how many games I have over the years that have becomes scratched?

I used to be a games collecter. I still own almost every 16 bit system and game made. I am US stuff JP stuff. Modded system yada yada. But all i really have for all of that time and money is a collection of stuff that I don’t really use that makes me look and feel like a nerd. My point, I have no attached love towards boxes or the discs in them.

In todays world give me steam.

I love it.

I have bought and downloaded games from Warhawk to Fat Princess on PS3 and Civ Rev to Castle Crashers on xb360. I have no problem what so ever with dd games.

And you shouldn’t either. esp if they also offer you a boxed copy. As for DLC, it is just that DLC your not often going to find that said DLC stuffed in a box on store shelfs. And less and less as time marches forward.

I say roll with it.

The only bad thing about DD game copies is that they often don’t reflect price changes that happen at retail. A 4 year old game shouldn’t be the same price as when it launched. So don’t buy that one, I think companies will get the clue eventualy.

6. Phoenixblight

Also OG you forgot to mention what happens when the servers go down? Or when you want to play it on the next gen console but that system doesn’t have it on its catalog?

7. OlderGamer

Yea, you mentioned that before. I should have responed to it then.

I can play my downloaded games on xb360 w/o being pluged into xbl.

Same for PS3. And for Wii.

So long as they aren’t MP Online games to begin with for obvious resons.

As for changing consoles, that is a pain in the butt. Indeed. But you can transfer the liscenes from an old system to a new one and your good to go. I have done that a few times on LIVE as I have three systems(myself and two boys) and I have had the obligitory RRoD on my first system. It is a hasle, but it can be done. Once done your good to go.

When my PS3 died it was much easier to transfer the games. Just redownloaded them and I was set.

8. Suikoden Fan

@oldergamer

my problem with scee is not the fat its a download its the price of the awkening download also the fact scee have a no dlc only disc option like microsoft allow.
    There is a 360 disc version of awakening but not on ps3 in europe. So i’m stuck with over inflated psn prices.

so i went with the 360 instead entirely.also the 360 disc version of awakening i could get for less than £20 but the psn price is static.