Cryptic to announce its next game this summer, says Roper

Wednesday, 5th May 2010 20:55 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

cryptic

Bill Roper, Cyrptic’s CCO, has said that one of the games the studio’s been hard at work on will be revealed this summer.

Speaking with MMORPG, Roper wouldn’t go into detail on the title, but said that even with a summer reveal,  it’s still “a ways off”.

“I can’t speak to the specifics of what we’re doing, but it’s true that we have another game in the works,” he said. “We won’t be making an announcement until late summer, and we’re still a ways off from launch.

“I can say that this is a game and a franchise we’re very excited about. I think people are going to pleased and a bit surprised with what we’re doing in terms of the game, how we make it, and even how we sell and support it. The game is being developed around new design principles merged with Cryptic’s community-first approach to ongoing development.”

It’s long been rumored that Cryptic’s at work on a Neverwinter Nights MMO for Atari, or possibly something else D&D related, but with Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro suing the publisher over fraud and five licensing agreement breaches, it may be a while before we hear about a possible MMO, let alone a third-installment for NWN.

Of course, we are just speculating on that – companies always go tight-lipped when locking legal horns with another, and we may be off base on this one. It may very well be a NWN MMO. We’ll find out this summer, obviously.

However, if you take a look over on Cryptic’s website, the page containing artwork on “games currently in development” shows what looks to be something quite different than NWN.

Thanks, Massively.

1. Stephany Nunneley

If it is a NWN MMO from Cryptic – I dunno. It’s not Obsidian, and it’s not BioWare so I am not too convinced. Sorry to say.

2. Gekidami

Meh, i’ve found everything they’ve done up to now pretty sub-par. I cant stand their insistence on instancing as much as possible.

3. Phoenixblight

WHats the saying? Try and Try again?

4. DeSpiritusBellum

You guys are a bunch of meanies.

Considering that the only MMORPG truly worth playing is WoW, or any cloned MMORPG desperately trying to be WoW, I think Cryptic should be applauded for trying to bring a bit more action to the table.

I doubt I’ll ever play an MMORPG again, to me it seems like they’re less about gameplay and more about idling in a virtual world, but having tried out Champions for a while, I thought it was pretty darn refreshing to kick people into the air and punch ‘em in the face before they hit the ground, rather than the standard fare.

Personally I’ll be keeping an eye on those guys. They might not have the Blizzard godmode in terms of money and staff, but they have balls!

5. Stephany Nunneley

@4 I am not being mean. I am just skeptical over anyone other than Obsidian and BioWare handling NWN.

If I recall correctly, though, Ultima Online is the one everyone piggie-backed off of, including WoW.

I never said Cryptic “sucked” or was ‘awful’, just waxing nostalgic over BW and OB is all on my end.

6. schmunkel98

@4 Cryptic is known for having a great character creator, lackluster content, over-instancing, and no end game in their MMO’s. CoH/V, Champions, and even Star Trek Online have all followed this policy with lackluster results. I applaud them for the directions they have attempted to go, however, the end products leave something to be desired.