Martin: Move doesn’t “ruin the experience” of SOCOM 4

Friday, 30th April 2010 22:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

socom4

European SOCOM producer Elliott Martin has reiterated that just because Move has been implemented into SOCOM 4, doesn’t mean that you are being forced to use it – nor will it ruin your experience with the game.

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer’s Ellie Gibson, Martin said that he considers himself a hardcore gamer, and he himself is impressed with how Move works with the shooter.

“I would consider myself a hardcore gamer, so I feel I can have an opinion on this,” he offered, “but I’ve seen games in development which would be considered hardcore and which make very good use of the Move implementation – SOCOM being just one of them.

“It doesn’t ruin the experience, that’s the important thing. It may not be the exact experience certain people want but that’s why we’re being very careful to not lock it down.

“We’re trying to preserve the different playing methods to appease everyone”.

Martin also said that you can set the controller’s sensitivity setting within the software itself by calibrating it – kind of like you would with your plastic instrument controllers in Rock Band.

“The sensitivity is determined by the calibration you give it, so you can be in a range of situations in your living room and still set up the game to play it how you want,” he said.

“When you calibrate the controller in SOCOM, you basically have to define the screen area you’re mapping the control to. If you do very small movements the game will amplify that, so that any movement will be a very sudden, fast movement.

If when calibrating you do very exaggerated movements, like if you have a massive telly, then a smaller movement is a much smaller movement on-screen. So it’s a very dynamic mapping in that respect, and it’s just about setting up what you’re comfortable with”.

SOCOM 4 is slated for fall.

1. Benjo1981

Never a good sign when you have to defend your game, rather than promote it..

2. Erthazus

I think SOCOM 4 is a mistake. Why you need this for PS3?
    SOCOM games sold not very well and it was a PS2 era, now, every new generation gamer don’t even know about SOCOM.

3. Seraphemz

@1 – he isn’t defending it. Just explaining how it works.

@2 – I know about..and so do the thousands of people playing on the PS3 all the time so ur theory is shot.

4. Benjo1981

@3 He seems to be defending the decision to implement Move support.

5. conk donk

I’m not a SOCOM fan, having never played it but as I understand it there’s a heavy focus on multiplayer. I feel having two completely different control types might lead to problems. I remember playing Unreal Tournament for the Dreamcast and no matter how good or bad the gamers were, anyone with a keyboard and mouse would cream players with controllers so if either Move or the Dual Shock has an unfair advantage it would just lead to a lot of unbalanced games and frustration.

6. Erthazus

@6 yeah, you are right. I think the best way to do a balance is to make 3 type of multiplayer games:

1) Only gamepads

2) Only Playstation Move

3) Playstation Move and Gamepads

and you choose what you want and where you want to play.

7. Benjo1981

@7 It’ll certainly be interesting to see how they do it. I mean, the attempts MS made to implement cross-platform play between the 360 and the PC weren’t exactly successful.

The only way I see the MP working is by having seperate lobbies/playlists for Move and Dualshock. Having both together in one game, I struggle to see working.

So yeah, what you say ;)