Original Xbox Live is dead

Friday, 16th April 2010 00:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xboxlivelogo

Do you hear that? That’s the life-support machine for Xbox Live for the original Xbox giving away. Time of death: 23:48pm BST.

Here’s the tweet from Director of Policy and Enforcement for Live on 360 Stephen Toulose that confirmed the news:

“Remember that old ‘banned’ European xbox commercial? Sad moment guys, the baby just landed in the grave. So long xbox 1 LIVE”

We’ve been told, however, this is for the US so far. European Live servers are still alive and running.

The service was due to go down at midnight PST, which was 8:00am BST yesterday morning, but people kept trucking on and playing Halo 2 until the sun didn’t shine upon the Chief no more.

And that is all she wrote. Now we return to normal programing.

1. DJ Deathstar

The king is dead! Long live the king!

2. mojo

RIP

3. mington

TANGO SUCKA

4. Blerk

Damn, I never did get a chance to play on it. :-)

5. endgame

which means that u won’t be able to play some games anymore. games that u’ve actually payed for. what a f**king joke. :D u guys got seriously ownd on this one. hah.

6. Blerk

I don’t think anything actually stops working entirely apart from the odd bit of DLC and the online multiplayer modes.

7. polygem

i don´t get it…what about halo2 multiplayer if you will buy it at games on demand…will you be able to still play it online? if not it should get a huge price drop.

8. Blerk

It probably should, yeah.

9. Retro

“endgame: which means that u won’t be able to play some games anymore. games that u’ve actually payed for. what a f**king joke. u guys got seriously ownd on this one. hah.”

Not really, given that I haven’t used “Classic” Xbox Live for a good 4 years, I’m doing fine. All my current-gen Xbox 360 titles (ie. the ones that I’m actually PLAYING) are completely unaffected. I smell a PS3 fanboi.

10. cookiejar

Never had an Xbox so I never saw much Xbox Live action, but MechAssault looked nuts! I would of had some of that.

11. Mauller

MechAssault was awesome online. To hell with Halo, give me Mechs or give me death!

12. Hunam