Star Trek Online for consoles canned

Wednesday, 7th April 2010 13:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

startrekonline11

Cryptic’s confirmed to Videogamer that the console versions of Star Trek: Online have been canned.

When the game was announced back in July 2008, it revealed it was in development for PC and next-gen consoles. But while the PC version released earlier in the year, its console counter-part has now met the fate that came recently to Champions Online for Xbox 360.

“It’s pretty much in the same boat as the Champions console version right now,” said executive producer, Craig Zinkievich.

“It’s something we can readily do in terms of technology. We’ve had it up and running on certain consoles, and had plans and designs in order to take advantage of those platforms. But as it stands right now it’s a little difficult to make that final leap on the business side of things. So, currently, just like Champions, the console version of Star Trek Online is on the back burner.”

Oh well. Set phasers to sad, we guess.

1. Blerk

I didn’t even realise they were planning any console versions!

2. Robo_1

I’d love to know the ins and outs of these MMO console dealings. As it’s always the publishers backing out, it must be the platform holders wanting too big a slice of the pie.

3. Droid

Sounds like one of the devs finally got some sense. I’m sure when the next generation consoles hit there will be mmo’s for them, but not until then.

4. blackdreamhunk

the only console mmo’s that are going to make it is only soe, even then it will be a waste of money. I also bet alot of money even if mmo are released on consoles it will be a major flop and not even close to pc mmo’s

5. Dralen

It’s gonna be difficult for consoles,(xbox 360 in particular) because the on-line charge is a tough work around for alot of developers as they don’t want their customers paying extra. Not so much for the PS3, since they don’t charge for on-line and have mouse/keyboard support. But since the PS3 has only just started to come out of its shell in the last year, no mmo’s have been done yet.

6. Blerk

I’m still not convinced that a PC-style MMO could ever be truly successful on a console. I think MMOs could work on an under-the-telly box, but I’m not convinced anyone actually has the slightest idea how to make one yet. Monster Hunter’s probably the closest thing and that’s only really successful in one territory.

7. theevilaires

Dralen you hit the nail on the head buddy and that’s why you’ll never see a MMO on the 360.

8. Blerk

Apart from Final Fantasy XI, right. :-D

I’m right in thinking that you pay for FFXI direct to Squenix and don’t have to be an XBL subscriber in order to play, yes? I can see why MS wouldn’t want to encourage that further, though.

9. theevilaires

I knew you were going to mention that. So let me rephrase my comment. You will never see any good next gen MMOs on the 360 that people actually want to play…..

…Until of course the inevitable Halo MMO….oh you know it’s coming too :D

10. Blerk

I’d actually be really surprised to see one, tbh. Especially seeing as they’re difficult to do without a hard drive, and Microsoft really dislikes putting that ‘HDD required’ logo on the front of their games.

Of course, there is that Monster Hunter MMO port on the way, but that’s not confirmed outside of Japanoland.