120Gb 360 HDD gets price-cut in the UK, confirms Microsoft

Wednesday, 24th March 2010 11:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

xbox360logo2

Microsoft’s confirmed to VG247 that the 120Gb 360 HDD will receive a price-cut in the UK to £80, which is the same price as the just-announced 250Gb HDD.

A rep from the firm told us “Microsoft has reduced the price of the Xbox 360 120GB Hard Drive to £79.99, available, available while supplies last.

“We are now able to offer even more storage for those who wish to store lots of games and entertainment content with the new Xbox 360 250GB Hard Drive.”

There you have it. Choice for everyone, then.

The 250Gb HDD is set to release separately in the UK on April 16, while it’s available now in the US.

1. The Hindle

£80 they are practically giving it away!!

Edit i misread thought they said 360 console £80

2. Blerk

So you can have a 120gb drive for £80, or a 250gb drive for… £80.

/slow clap

3. themadjock

MS pricing of HDD’s is a joke they should have gone down the PS3′s route with a user upgradable HDD.

4. Droid

Ebay is your friend.

5. Sunshyme

Normal HDD: 1TB for 70-80 Euros/Pounds
    Microsoft HDD: 120GB for 80 Euros/Pounds

Unbelieveable they still get away with this pricing policy…

6. theevilaires

themadjock said: MS pricing of HDD’s is a joke they should have gone down the PS3’s route with a user upgradable HDD.

But that would be giving consumers options to buy if they need or wanted that. M$ has never made a comment like that before right……(flashes back to 2006-7)

…..Why No Blu-ray drive M$ but a HD-DVD add-on?

M$: We wanted to give consumers choices :)

Why no built in wifi M$ but a wifi adapter add-on?

M$: We wanted to give consumers choices :)

Why doesn’t every 360 come with a HDD M$?

M$: We wanted to ass rape our consumers with our high overpriced imaginary superior first party crap :)

7. OlderGamer

While I agree it would be cool. I havent done it. No one i know offline has ever done it. Not like you goto gamestop and next to the PS3s is a selection of HDDs you can pick from to plug into your new system.

I am not putting down system modification, I had a Sega Saturn modded to play all regions. However, it should be noted that so called “upgrading” your ps3 isn’t something that was intended to a feature.

8. McLovin85

@OG

That’s not correct OG. The PS3 was designed to make it very user-friendly to take out ur HDD and replace it with another one. Sony have been very vocal about this since the very start.
    The instructions of how to do this are also within the PS3 manual, showing u exactly what u need to buy (2.5″ HDD which are used in laptops) and how to install it. Because they have these instructions in the manual, changing ur HDD does not void ur warranty at all.

9. JonFE

@OG:
    IIRC, replacing the PS3 HDD does not nullify your warranty as a simple google search will suggest – unfortunately no official link, though, at first glance.

10. theevilaires

OlderGamer said: As I understand it Sony doesn’t actauly condone upgrading to bigger HDDs right? Infact doing so nulifies the Warenty.

Dude seriously you need to spend more time on your PS3. I didn’t even own a 360 until last September and knew what the pros and cons were.

11. onyxbox

@OG:

Yep, changing a PS3 HDD is in the manual and does not void the warranty. Give Sony support a call, they’ll tell you that.

12. Psychotext

Amusing, bought one as a present last week for £59.99. Go go Argos. :)

13. RoarrrUK

@OlderGamer
    Loads of people do actually upgrade their PS3 HDDs.
    It’s refreshing to actually do an upgrade for a reasonable amount. I put in a 500GB and it cost me ~30. Yet when I bought a 120GB hdd for my xbox (i ran out of space) it was like a kick in the nuts.

14. strikewc

must buy.

15. sennasnit

I upgraded mine with 320GB followed the manual instructions, and youtube vids, get with the programme man.

16. theevilaires

:D 120GB really is nothing I have 60GB worth of music alone on my PS3. Plus if you want to play MW2,GTA4,COD4,Gears,Halo,or any other game often you’re going to want to install those games to that HDD to make the sound of the DVD(LOL DVD) drive not sound like a plane taking off from the runway.

17. Filofax

@OlderGamer
    Once again your understanding is wrong.

18. OlderGamer

Well I stand corected.

I was wrong and am not affraid to say so.

19. NiceFellow

Still too expensive. You can get far more storage for far less cost on standard HDD. Still, not as bad as the PS2 memory days I suppose.

20. Mike Honcho

“Bend over” …. sayeth Bill Gates & Aaron Greenberg.

21. Hakkiz

This HDD thingy isn’t a big factor for me. For Xbox I have the one with 120 Gigs, for PS3 the standard 60 Gigs. Never ran out of space, but on the other hand I use it only for some instals and DLC. Music collection on console… What? Why? Try PC. :)

Err, but anyway, what’s the point of selling 120 Gigs for the same price as 250 Gigs?