Report: 360 getting USB storage support in spring firmware update

Thursday, 18th March 2010 17:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

usblogo

If this Joystiq report‘s to be believed, the next big 360 firmware update is to add save support for USB devices.

According to a document acquired by the site, “USB Mass Storage Device Support on Xbox 360″ is to be added soon.

The document, penned by a senior software development engineer at Microsoft, states that due to “increased market penetration of high-capacity, high throughput USB mass storage devices, a 2010 Xbox 360 system update” will allow players to save and load game data from basic USB keys, PMPs and more.

The update is apparently coming in this spring.

The move comes after Microsoft ditched unofficial 360 memory units in October last year.

1. Pyrix

Ah, but will you only be able to use licensed keys or all keys? Because if it is all keys then that it pretty awesome since high-capacity USB sticks are pretty cheap nowadays.

Also, did they actually do away with unofficial things in the end? I assumed my memory unit, which I bought from eBay, would no longer work after November since it doesn’t have the ‘Microsoft’ stamp on the Memory Devices page unlike my official HDD which does. However, it still does.

2. Khanivor

That would be great if for another reason than to backup my saves. I worry about losing them in a HD failure, theft or some such.

3. NoxNoctisUmbra

I can see Microisoft Xbox 360 external HDD 60 Gig for 50 bucks. oh boy..

4. Syrok

It does read like it’s also non-proprietary devices, but I somehow doubt it.

@Nox: It’s only up to 16GB (or 32 if you use two stickes)

5. Aimless

It’s a bit cheap that they’re artificially limiting USB devices to 16GB; it’s patently for no other reason than to make you buy one of their proprietary HDDs.

Anyway, I guess the redesigned 360 isn’t going to have any memory card slots then.

6. joshua nash

this is a great idea that MS should have done from the start, cause everybody and their grandma has atleast one USB memory stick

7. Blerk

Interesting. And didn’t someone say that the memory card readers missing from those ‘no comment’ slimline 360 pictures the other day?

8. cookiejar

Yep, sounds perfect for a revision.
    There will be some catch though im sure, this is Microsoft.

9. xino

useless!

if people can use it for softmod then good

10. Blerk