Ubisoft: No PC demo for Splinter Cell: Conviction

Wednesday, 17th March 2010 21:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

splintercell

Ubisoft’s community developer, Li Kuo, has tweeted some rather bad news for PC gamers.

No PC demo will be released for Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Now won’t have chance to decide if it was worth the DRM requirements or not, unless you try it out on Xbox 360.

Here’s the tweet, via The Lost Gamer:

“Sorry guys, tomorrow’s demo is for X360 only. There are no plans for a PC demo.”

The demo is slated to hit tomorrow.

1. Erthazus

But who cares anyway?

No demo and DRM.

Ubisoft is garbage at best.

2. blackdreamhunk

lol they act like pc gamers will be so dispointed over demo’s

No demo translates to garbage games to pc gamers

no demo = garbage

drm = pc game haters

console port = garbage

3. Droid

Epic fail game already.

4. Yoshi

Well im sorry to say this but its ther fault im guna have to pirate this game to see if its worth it or not =/ lol

5. blackdreamhunk

I feel sorry for people who bought assins creed 2 and did not know about the drm. It I was them I would get a pirate crack.disable the drm from the game. howuever I would never would ubisoft junks. I learned my lession from asassin creed 1 and avator.

knowledge is power that is for sure.

6. AssAssIn0009

fuck ubisoft
    wtf ubsifot doing with pc gamers ?
    why the hate pc gamers ?
    why stuiped drm ?
    why no pc demo ?
    why delaying assassins creed 2 ?
    why delaying prince of percia ?
    fuck fuck fuck fuck ubisoft
    iam sure as hell they gonna delay the pc version or cancil it

any way iam gonna pirate the game cause ubisoft Deserves that
    i wont buy any ubisoft games

7. ShiroGamer

oh dear

8. Erthazus

I think now they are even worse then Activision for PC gamers.

Delaying everything, stupid Internet connection to play the game, no fucking demo. I mean, whats the point in releasing a game?

Ubisoft with this policy can go fuck themselves somewhere else. I don’t see a logic here.

9. blackdreamhunk

keep pissing off pc gamers and we can do alot more than just run retail into the ground.

10. Tamo123

Not buying the game anyway with that DRM in place. F**k Ubisoft, seriously. Die. In. A. Fire.

11. abbe

Seriously, if you download the game for any other reason than to try it as a demo, fuck off and die in a pile of shit.

Just because you do not like the DRM choice, you should not pirate it, so if you decide that you like the game enough to finish it, you pay for it.

If anything of this goes through your head right now, you are the scum of the earth:
    1. I’m too poor, so I steal it.
    2. I wouldn’t have bought it anyway, it was a crappy game all the way to the end. I’m glad I demoed it.
    3. I hate the copy protection they use so I had to steal it.
    4. The developer made me steal it because it runs crappy on my hardware. It’s their FAULT!
    5. I’d let someone steal my million dollar game, so its ok if I do it.

This is my personal checklist for when I’m allowed to pirate a game:
    1. I wont download a game if a demo is available or I’m not interested in buying it.
    2. If I do download it, I wont finish it unless I’m interested in paying for it.
    3. If it turns out to be a bad game, then I will remove it and not even think of completing it. If I do complete it, I need to buy the game.

12. subversus

I think they better leave PC market altogether, because they do everything to sell PC versions less. Relocate all resources to consoles, or is it some pervert kind of way to express your contempt for PC customers? :D

13. Michael O’Connor

ubisoftpcgameslol

14. Badger

Grow up people. Get over it.

15. Yoshi

@14 well what if you’ve never played a Splinter Cell game like me! *slap* :)

@11 pretty much agree with all of that, i was really looking forward to this game with co-op but i really wanted a demo becos ive never play a Splinter Cell game before

16. Badger

If you’ve never played a Splinter Cell game before, but are curious, maybe play an old one? OK, I understand that demos are generally good for people who’ve no idea about the game before, but just because they’ve decided not to put one up for the PC doesn’t make it the end of the world. They don’t have to. There are plenty of other ways of getting an overall picture of the game.

Can someone please just be glad that this is even getting released on PC? There seems to be a diminishing amount of decent titles heading for the PC, and quite frankly it’s nice to know that they’re still sticking with it. The one way of stopping PC games getting pirated is to just not release them on there at all. I am glad that they haven’t done that…. yet.

17. blackdreamhunk

how about dare them to try and kill the pc gaming market!!!

I mean they wanted to do for years now!

last time I checked there is alot more games than on pc then consoles really show this diminishing gaming platform.

the game is garbage, like must games that come from consoles.

18. TheWulf

I haven’t seen an Ubisoft game that was worth the plastic it was printed onto (or the bandwidth with which to download it) for a long time, now. I haven’t bought (and not pirated, either) a Ubisoft game in a very, very long time.

If they’re sinking, it’s their own doing.

FAO: Ubisoft

If you want to sell games, just make games worth buying, attach a reasonable price tag to them, offer post-purchase support and content (see: EA/Bioware’s Mass Effect 2 support, and Valve in general), use the most benign DRM possible (or even none), put a little more money into doing a proper port and perhaps even consider some proper PC games (since ‘PC gamer’ is the demographic), and treat your customers with the respect and dignity that any human being would expect.

Valve don’t worry about piracy, Gabe Newell says that piracy is a service and you’re just competing with the pirates, if you provide a better service than the pirates then people will buy your games. I buy a number of games every month, but not from companies like you or Activision, and the reasons for that are listed above. A lot of the people I buy games from are indie developers, and developers/publishers who can meet most, if not all, of the aforementioned expectations. It’s really not hard to do so.

What you’re actually doing though is the opposite of everything on my list, and you’re spazzing out because people aren’t interested in your games, you’re seeing sales but not of the same levels that you see on consoles. Well, shitty ports of console games that PC gamers aren’t going to be as interested in, riddled with DRM and such aren’t going to be all that appealing, are they? Think about it, Ubi, you’re just shooting yourself in the foot over this.

So you can just continue to spaz out over lost sales due to corporate greed and eventually move away from the PC all together (I can’t say I’d mind), or you can sharpen up your act.

I agree with all your points but if you were perhaps a little less forceful (that ‘scum of the earth’ comment helps no one, least of all of your own point) and insulting then you’d have an argument that more people in general would read.

19. st00rm

“”Badger said:
    It’s just a freakin’ demo guys. My guess is if you liked the first few Splinter Cell games you’re probably going to get this anyway. Unless you’re a PC gamer with a fear of the letters D, R and M.”"”

I loved the first 3 Splinter Cells and i still play Chaos Theory, but what they did with Double Agent makes me wonder if they can still make another good SC game – that’s why we need a demo.

20. Bulk Slash

Personally I only really loved the first Splinter Cell, I thought the sequels just weren’t as cleverly made as that one. The first was almost like a “stealth sand box” where you could approach crossing a room full of guards in so many different ways. By the third one there was usually only ever one proper way of getting past a room. They were still fun, just a bit more limited.

Plus the lighting was screwed up in all the sequels. You could be standing in the pitch black and the light metre would read you as visible and other times you could be fairly well lit but the light metre would consider you to be hidden.

As for no PC demo, I’m not too bothered since I can try it on my 360, but I wouldn’t buy it for my laptop anyway since it has that ridiculous DRM in it. It’s not uncommon for me to buy a game twice, once for console and once for PC, but I won’t be buying this one.