Versus XIII, Agito XIII pushing for story-driven gameplay, says Toriyama

Monday, 15th March 2010 10:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Versus XIII

Final Fantasy XIII director Motomu Toriyama has said Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII will be aiming for story-driven gameplay.

Speaking during a session at GDC last week, his line suggests both games will take a linear path over an open world: something for which FFXIII was criticised.

He also explained the links that ties all three games together into the series known as the Fabula Nova Crystalis saga, stating humans are controlled by legendary Gods. FFXIII players will know them as fal’Cie.

FFXIII released last week. It’s just been announced it’s reached number one in the UK.

Agito XIII and Versus XIII, meanwhile, have both gone underground. The latter of which was due to be revealed at E3, but it may not be shown, according to director Tetsuya Nomura.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Alakratt

A linear path? Oh great…FFXIII was enough, thanks but no thanks.

2. Soong

It doesn’t need to be ‘open world’ per se, none of the FF games, apart from maybe XII, have been open world until now.

It just needs to be less linear than XIII. More like FFVII or FFVIII or FFIX, that type of linear. That would make me very happy.

3. OlderGamer

When you take aim at your foot and miss, you don’t reload the gun.

FFXIII is doing well. But I think to some degree not everyone that bought the game enjoyed it. I know some friends that felt the game was a waste of money. And I think the restricked path the games takes, and the many cut scenes, and the fact that you the player can not deterimine the outcome of the story at all were reasons. But it was FF, and it was marketed well, and it was the first FF this gen.

I think I would shy aways from making this type of thing the norm.

And someone needs to explain to them that really, they don’t tell stories as well as they think they do.

JRPGs are cookie cutter at best. I was hoping they would elvolve. This statement seems to suggest just the oppisite.

4. Michael O’Connor

Play FFXIII for more than 3 hours and the game is just fine.

“JRPGs are cookie cutter at best. I was hoping they would elvolve.”

Cookie cutter? Seriously? FFXIII is as hard as hell in places.

5. DrDamn

@OlderGamer
    When has a FF ever let you determine the outcome of the story?

6. DrDamn

@Michael O’Connor
    I think they were saying the story is cookie cutter.

Characters maybe I’d agree with that. The story I’m finding pretty intriguing and good personally.

7. Eregol

You can die during a battle and then not play it.
    That way you failed and the world stays corrupted.

Voila, you have decided a FF storyline!

Dragon Quest didn’t let you determine the outcome either you know. And that was brilliant!!!

8. Michael O’Connor

That’s the thing, FFXIII’s story *isn’t* cookie cutter.

I don’t want to say why for the sake of spoilers, but it simply isn’t. And this is coming from someone who was highly critical of the game before release.

It *appears* to be cookie cutter at the beginning. It succeeds because it proves to be anything but.

“I think of many JRPGs like stories made out ot legos. In that while each struckture may look slightly different…each one uses and reuses the same recongizable lego pieces to build it.”

The plot to every BioWare game is essentially identical.

And like I stated, FFXIII’s story turns out to be anything but the generic “lego blocks” of Japanese story clichés it initially appears to be.

9. Filofax

@ Michael O’Connor

Agreed on all points, FFXIII has turned out to be one of the best JRPGs I have played in ages.

10. Jockie

For me personally, I was less bothered by the linearity of the game, than I was the storyline completely falling apart towards the end of the game. Obviously can’t go into any detail without spoilers, but it didn’t really make any sense to me.

Linearity is what it is, there are many many games from different genres that are completely linear and it’s not an issue. Because FF XIII is an RPG people expect an illusion of choice, but it’s never really been what defines the Final Fantasy experience. Besides Gran Pulse gives you whatever side-quest meanderings you could want.

11. DaMan

Older is absolutely right, it doesn’t matter that Bioware games have similar plotlines, you’re making the story as you play. how’s that comparable to watching the same cgs with archetypes killing god/fighting their destiny/ etc.

they really should drop the story driven approach.

12. Eregol

I prefer the story driven approach.
    Doing it the other way is akin to a ‘Make your own Adventure’ book.
    I prefer playing games like wtahcing movies. I want the writers to take me to another place and play their story. Not make my own.
    I have World of Warcraft to do that with.

13. Aimless

Why would I want Square-Enix to make BioWare-esque games? That’s what BioWare are for.

14. Eregol

Exactly.

15. DaMan

I don’t want combat like in WoW, it’s shit.

also not necessarily copy wrpgs of course. make something similar to Chrono Trigger, when protagonist is you.

16. Eregol

I don’t think I mentioned the combat.
    But I am free to go about things how I want to.
    Bioware’s style doesn’t do it for me at all. I’ve always prefered the JRPG style.
    A well crafted story pulls me along and encourages me to play, if I have to make things happen myself I tend to lose interest quickly.
    Bethesda’s style just doesn’t go either. Fallout 3 and Oblivion both bored me ridged.

17. DaMan

I think the problem people like me are having is that you get tired after playing them since SNES.

also, like I said they should not copy Baldur’s Gate. they could at least go back to CT direction. PS1 style FFs are really an awful way of making rpgs for me.

18. Michael O’Connor

“they really should drop the story driven approach.”

Making every RPG the exact same is just retarded.

If you want choice driven story-telling set within archetypal circumstances you go with BioWare, Bethesda, etc.. If you want tight combat systems with linear story progression, you go with Square Enix or some other similar developer.

“Fallout 3 and Oblivion both bored me ridged.”

An interesting observation. Oblivion bored the crap out of me, but I couldn’t get enough of Fallout 3.

19. The Hindle

I read somewhere they are to take inspriation from Uncharted 2 as the lead FF dev is impressed how ND managed to do things in game that would normally be in cut scenes.

20. Phoenixblight

I haven’t read any of the sort. All I have read about the gameplay is that it is going to be similar to Kingdom Hearts series.

21. DaMan

you can’t read my posts, can you MOC? like I said don’t copy Bioware, just learn from them silly.

sorry, I got sick of these god slaying, destiny fighting fellas. there’s a limit to these “plots”. thanks to this story driven structure jrpgs are stuck in 2000, while wrpgs left them behind.

22. The Hindle

Pb ill find you the article its a pretty good read.

23. DaMan

24. Eregol

It’s one thing to learn from them, but I like my JRPGs as they are.
    There’s two seperate markets, I’d hate it if JRPGs started turning into WRPGs.

25. Phoenixblight

@Hindle

Thanks.

26. DrDamn

@DaMan
    “like I said don’t copy Bioware, just learn from them silly.”

The implication in what you are saying is that Bioware are doing something right which Square Enix are getting wrong. Where actually neither are right or wrong, they are just different approaches. You may have a preference for one or other approach but that doesn’t mean all games should adopt it.

27. DaMan

I disagree with that.

yes, that’s the implication. just like ie RE5 could learn from DS controls. it’s not different, it’s archaic and not fun.

I understand that people might enjoy these stories. if possible, make both types of games.

28. Michael O’Connor

“also, MOC SMT Nocturne happens to be one of your favourites isn’t it? that game did plenty of things right. that’s what I mean.”

Even for a JRPG, SMT Nocturne was a very different kettle of fish to the rest of the genre. Which is entirely a good thing, mind you.

29. DrDamn

Poor controls are a different kettle of fish to a design choice. It’s simply not what FF games are about.

30. Eregol

Completely different type of game really.
    Action games need faster paced controls. So changing REsi’s interface kind of makes sense.
    JRPGs have always been quirky. To change the system completely would alienate their fan base.
    I don’t like WRPGs, if they changed their style what would I play then?

31. DrDamn

Wow lots of different kettles of fish going on … didn’t see your one before submitting mine :D

32. DaMan

well , like I said I disagree.

I can understand there’s a future for games like Ico, there’s no limit to that type of “stories”. despite that I dislike that kind of videogames.

jrpg plots have a “limit”. they went downhill since early PS2, and it’s evident. same character archetypes, different skins. same plotlines, same lines, same endings etc.

33. Sini

FF13 rocked, on chapter 11 now, having more fun than I did with 10 or 12. Screw towns and nonlinearity. Best parts of previous FF games were linear.